Maine gun bill would allow concealed weapons without permit

Dumb question maybe, but if you have a ME non-res what happens to it after Const Carry goes into effect?

the question on my mind, which may have already been answered, is does the new law in ME mean that non-residents also can carry there without a license? in other words, should i nix my ME non-res renewal? thx

Yep. Non-resis too as long as you're not a prohibited.

go figure. i spent 6 months nagging my wife to get a ME non-res license a few years back and now she doesn't even need it. i'm tired of her being right about everything!

Yep. Non-resis too as long as you're not a prohibited.

Are you sure about that non-resident status?

http://news.yahoo.com/maine-allows-...vbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjAyODJfMQRzZWMDc2M-

The new law, which passed with broad bipartisan support, would eliminate the permit requirement for any resident over 21 years old who is not already prohibited from owning a firearm.
Active members of the military, and veterans over 18 years of age, would be granted the same privilege.

http://news.yahoo.com/maine-allows-...vbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjAyODJfMQRzZWMDc2M-

The new law, which passed with broad bipartisan support, would eliminate the permit requirement for any resident over 21 years old who is not already prohibited from owning a firearm.
Active members of the military, and veterans over 18 years of age, would be granted the same privilege.

The media is reporting incorrectly the Bill does not state residency what so ever. It wouldn't be constitutional Carry!

Yes we are sure. The idiots in the media don't know how to read law. No where in the bill does the word resident exist.

Here is the bill with all amendments added as signed by the governor:

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/getPDF.asp?paper=SP0245&item=19&snum=127

Yes we are sure. The idiots in the media don't know how to read law. No where in the bill does the word resident exist.

Here is the bill with all amendments added as signed by the governor:

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/getPDF.asp?paper=SP0245&item=19&snum=127

Ok. Thank you. so this "According to the NRA-ILA, LD 652 had the support of the Maine State Police and leaves a concealed carry permitting system in place for those who want to use it for reciprocal purposes with other states." is just if someone from Maine wants to carry concealed in NH or another state that requires a permit from your reciprocal home state?

-------
Oh, and do I understand this correctly? You can carry a concealed and loaded handgun in the car as long as you notify the officer when pulled over. But you still cannot carry a loaded rifle, shotgun, crossbow, black powder or anything like that?

Last edited:
The media is reporting incorrectly the Bill does not state residency what so ever. It wouldn't be constitutional Carry!

Some states, maybe Kansas?, specifically say resident in their Constitutional Carry laws. Don't think the Maine one does, just typical media reporting. That is to say inaccurate.

Some states, maybe Kansas?, specifically say resident in their Constitutional Carry laws. Don't think the Maine one does, just typical media reporting. That is to say inaccurate.

Yeah after reading Kansas law summary it really doesn't sound like constitutional carry either Give the AG the option to pick and choose states

Constitutional Carry; SB 45
SB 45
amends laws concerning the concealed carry of firearms. The bill adds language
allowing the concealed carry of a firearm without a concealed carry license issued by the State,
as long as that individual is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under either federal or

state law. The bill specifies the carrying of a concealed handgun cannot be prohibited in any
building unless the building is posted in accordance with rules and regulations adopted by the
Attorney General. Concealed carry licenses will still be issued by the State, but the availability of
those licenses cannot be construed to prohibit the carrying of handguns without a license,
whether carried openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded.
Related to concealed carry licenses, the bill also allows the Attorney General to create a
list of concealed carry handgun licenses or permits from other jurisdictions that have training
requirements greater than or equal to the Kansas requirements. This list can be used by the
Attorney General when reviewing concealed carry license applications and making a
determination about whether an individual has completed an approved handgun safety and
training course required for issuance of a concealed carry license. The bill also defines “equal to
or greater than,” “jurisdiction,” and “license or permit” for the purposes of the new section of law.
The bill amends the definition of “criminal carrying of a weapon” to clarify that it is not
legal for anyone under 21 years of age to carry any pistol, revolver, or other firearm concealed
on one’s person, except when on such person’s land or in such person’s abode or fixed place of
business.

If you have a permit in another state but not Maine do you still have to notify the officer?

No you do not as long as that resident permit from another state has reciprocity with Maine. Maine just expanded their reciprocity law so in 90 days from July 16 (ish) Maine will likely have reciprocity with a good number of other states, and if not, it will soon as the reciprocity law reads very similar to NH.

Always a good idea, irrespective of what the law says.

I never state I have a license unless explicitly asked. The officer doesn't need to know. Smart officers assume everyone is armed and don't freak out if the person says they are.

No, its not a good idea

Lots of LEO's go full retard when you inform them.

If you have no duty to inform then dont offer addl info......unless there is good reason to like you've been asked to get out of the vehicle/etc

If its just a simple traffic stop then keep your yap shut unless required by law

I think this says you do have a duty to inform LEO's -

Sec. 4. 25 MRSA §2003-A is enacted to read:§2003-A. Duty to inform law enforcementWhen an individual who is carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority ofthis chapter and who does not have a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun that hasbeen issued as provided in this chapter first comes into contact with any law enforcementofficer of this State or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officerduring the course of any arrest, detainment or routine traffic stop, that individual shallimmediately inform that law enforcement officer of the fact that the individual is carryinga concealed handgun.

Sec. 5. 25 MRSA §2004, sub-§5 is enacted to read:5. Failure to inform law enforcement. A person who fails to comply with section2003-A commits a civil violation for which a fine of not more than $100 may beadjudged.

Unless I read that wrong....

I think this says you do have a duty to inform LEO's -

Sec. 4. 25 MRSA §2003-A is enacted to read:§2003-A. Duty to inform law enforcementWhen an individual who is carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority ofthis chapter and who does not have a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun that hasbeen issued as provided in this chapter first comes into contact with any law enforcementofficer of this State or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officerduring the course of any arrest, detainment or routine traffic stop, that individual shallimmediately inform that law enforcement officer of the fact that the individual is carryinga concealed handgun.

Sec. 5. 25 MRSA §2004, sub-§5 is enacted to read:5. Failure to inform law enforcement. A person who fails to comply with section2003-A commits a civil violation for which a fine of not more than $100 may beadjudged.

Unless I read that wrong....

Only applies if you are carrying without a permit.

Only applies if you are carrying without a permit.

Thanks again. Just curious if that is Maine permit or an LTC or permit from any other state...Ya know...since Mass does not extend reciprocity and all.

I don't mean to be a jerk. I think I just cannot grasp true freedom. I can't get my head around this. I have been so conditioned by this stupid state it isn't even funny.

Thanks again. Just curious if that is Maine permit or an LTC or permit from any other state...Ya know...since Mass does not extend reciprocity and all.

I don't mean to be a jerk. I think I just cannot grasp true freedom. I can't get my head around this. I have been so conditioned by this stupid state it isn't even funny.

Maine permit or a resident permit from a state that has reciprocity with Maine. Since you live in Mass you are SOL and will need to get a Maine non-resident permit if you want to carry and not have to notify police immediately.

Theoretically of course, I have no intention of telling LE whether or not I'm carrying unless I'm about to be frisked.

I never state I have a license unless explicitly asked. The officer doesn't need to know. Smart officers assume everyone is armed and don't freak out if the person says they are.

I understand. It often changes the tone of the conversation. Postively at least in my experience. But then again I've always been asked. Between the Ron Paul and Gadsden Flag decals I wonder if I'm an easy tell... :)

Maine permit or a resident permit from a state that has reciprocity with Maine. Since you live in Mass you are SOL and will need to get a Maine non-resident permit if you want to carry and not have to notify police immediately.

Or just carry concealed anyways and not worry or sweat it while you do.
Otherwise, you "do what the MAN says" and leave your gun (which the law of the land STILL states you have the right to bear, despite what some pussified legislators demand of you) back home in MA or wherever. Then, when the whacked-out-wingnut stands up in a restaurant in York Beach (or wherever you decided to vacation), announces it's "judgment Day" and methodically walks table to table picking innocent citizens off one by one, you can look at your wife and kids and say with your last breath "Well, the great news is that at least we did the right thing according to the MAN".

And if they ever build a school inside a post office, I'd f*ckin carry there too.

Back
Top Bottom