Maine gun bill would allow concealed weapons without permit

So, any indication whether LaPage is going to sign this thing (if so when?) or if he is just going to let it sit and become law?

I have no plans to visit Maine anytime soon, but that may change if this passes [party]. Would rather support ME business than the ones here in Crap-a-chu-setts.
He already did! [emoji3]

It was signed into law at 2pm today.
Takes effect in 90 days give or take.
Yes, this law allows anybody (anybody legally allowed to own a firearm), resident or non resident, to carry concealed without a permit.

Text of the bill appears to not be limited to residents but rather all persons.....article reported that it was residents only

Oh come on you expect the media to actually know how to interpret law and then turn around and report factually?

A lot of thanks goes to Senator Brakey for introducing the Bill and ramming it through.
Also to the group "Gun Owners of Maine" or "GoMaine", who filled committee hearings, worked the telephones, etc..

My understanding is that GOM failed in getting some training BS inserted into the bill. Frankly I'm glad they failed as it looked more self serving IMO.

Real question. Do they (GOM) have any sort of weight in the state? The forum area for them here is dead and personally I think SAM has more exposure. Yes, I'm a member of SAM.

- - - Updated - - -

What more could one expect from that rag?

Oh come on you expect the media to actually know how to interpret law and then turn around and report factually?
Well I remember way back in 5th grade, we did a thing where everyone had to pretend they were writing a real article for the local newspaper, complete with doing an interview and fact checking as well as proper grammar. I guess they skip all that in journalism school.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

NH will also likely have reciprocity with Maine so if you have your NH "permit" you will not need to immediately notify police since you would be carrying under a permit/license.

Unfortunately, this does not apply to NH non-resident permits, since Maine reciprocity will only apply to NH residents..

Well I remember way back in 5th grade, we did a thing where everyone had to pretend they were writing a real article for the local newspaper, complete with doing an interview and fact checking as well as proper grammar. I guess they skip all that in journalism school.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Today, anyone with access to the Internet can write "news" articles. Anyone. As a result, those things you mention, are put to the wayside. The quicker you post the more opportunity for hits and the more money you can make. Facts don't factor into this equation.

With that said, the article wasn't wrong. It does allow residents to do that. Of course it also also non Maine residents the same...

Take a look
ed47fadd60e2e4549edd04be03b26b3b.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

NH will also likely have reciprocity with Maine so if you have your NH "permit" you will not need to immediately notify police since you would be carrying under a permit/license.

I'm in a debate elsewhere with someone who says this is not correct. Is there any reciprocity now? Or is it forthcoming for some reason? And, why would that mean we would not need to notify police if we have a NH resident permit already? Thanks!

I'm in a debate elsewhere with someone who says this is not correct. Is there any reciprocity now? Or is it forthcoming for some reason? And, why would that mean we would not need to notify police if we have a NH resident permit already? Thanks!

would also be good to know if you had reciprocity if you have a Utah non-res.

I think the recipication part was an order by Lepage's administration, I don't think it was part of the bill. I'm not positive though, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

would also be good to know if you had reciprocity if you have a Utah non-res.

I think the recipication part was an order by Lepage's administration, I don't think it was part of the bill. I'm not positive though, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It is a bill LePage signed:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/284586-Maine-Permit-Increased-Reciprocity

And it would have been 7 states passing Con CC if the governors in Montana, utah, west virginia and NH had not veoted it. I think they are working to pass it in OH this year.
Why isn't Arkansas on that list? They have constitutional carry too so I think we're at 7 states.

My understanding is that GOM failed in getting some training BS inserted into the bill. Frankly I'm glad they failed as it looked more self serving IMO.

Real question. Do they (GOM) have any sort of weight in the state? The forum area for them here is dead and personally I think SAM has more exposure. Yes, I'm a member of SAM.

- - - Updated - - -

What more could one expect from that rag?

You may be thinking of the other group, Maine Gun Owners Association. They are pretty much a joke. It would not surprise me at all if they wanted a training requirement added on.

Gun Owners of Maine (GOME) was behind this law 100%. They were not in favor of the amendments that require LE notification or the 21 age requirement (except for those in the Military).
GOME is a new organization (2 years I think), but has shown itself to be a player. At least as much influence as SAM.

You may be thinking of the other group, Maine Gun Owners Association. They are pretty much a joke. It would not surprise me at all if they wanted a training requirement added on.

Sounds like a bunch of fudd NRA certificate stampers are pissed that they won't have a captive audience for basic pistol courses anymore.

So now they have sell their programs as ones of advanced training and making it worth while for people to voluntarily take them. So Yes, they are all about the money that you mandated to pay them so that you could get a permission slip in the State of Maine. Well the tit just dried up.

Exactly. It may be a good time to get into the firearms training business in Maine. There are few players there now who are more than the NRA paper mills I mentioned. If you could offer good, practical training in the use of a pistol at a good value, you'd probably do well.

I'm talking about states that passed it or would have this year. I think arkansas passed it last yr or '13.
I'm an idiot and quoted the wrong post [rolleyes] I was addressing the screenshot that listed only six states that currently allow CC and arkansas wasn't on the list for some reason.

Gun Owners of Maine (GOME) was behind this law 100%. They were not in favor of the amendments that require LE notification or the 21 age requirement (except for those in the Military).
GOME is a new organization (2 years I think), but has shown itself to be a player. At least as much influence as SAM.

Thank You for clearing that up. Those other guys from Falmouth were crying tears bigger than horse turds.

I'm an idiot and quoted the wrong post [rolleyes] I was addressing the screenshot that listed only six states that currently allow CC and arkansas wasn't on the list for some reason.

Those states I listed, UT, MT, WV and NH, it's only a matter of time. I forgot Missouri too, they passed it and the sh1thead D gov vetoed it. The ball is rolling, we'll see all those Midwest states passing it, I know the guy on this board who lives in South carolina said they are pushing Con CC there. NC and GA might be close after a few more pass it.

I think we'll be at 20 + in 5 yrs.

Tried skimming the thread but there's too much to figure out if someone has addressed this...

Can a NH res now CC in Maine (once the new law takes effect)? Does ME constitutional carry only apply to ME residents?

Tried skimming the thread but there's too much to figure out if someone has addressed this...

Can a NH res now CC in Maine (once the new law takes effect)? Does ME constitutional carry only apply to ME residents?

Yes you can CC. It applies to all persons not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm.

Back
Top Bottom