• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine concealed carry - mine expires soon, do I need a new one?

MaxStravinsky

NES Member
I've got a NH Non-resident, a Utah Non-resident, but my Maine is going to expire this summer. Do I need to renew it, or am I covered?

(figured someone here would know the answer[grin])

thanks!

I've got a NH Non-resident, a Utah Non-resident, but my Maine is going to expire this summer. Do I need to renew it, or am I covered?

(figured someone here would know the answer[grin])

thanks!

Seems that Governor LePage signed that constitutional carry law for all in Maine last year. But, there's that sticky 'must inform the LEO' clause if you don't have a concealed carry permit. I'm planning on keeping mine for a while.

IANAL

Seems that Governor LePage signed that constitutional carry law for all in Maine last year. But, there's that sticky 'must inform the LEO' clause if you don't have a concealed carry permit. I'm planning on keeping mine for a while.

IANAL

and you can't carry under constitutional carry in some parks (like Arcadia)

There are also places that are requiring a permit to carry concealed, specifically Acadia National park and all state parks.

During certain hunting activities, Archery deer season is one.

Dont mean to hijack thread, but why have a non resident utah permit? Is it for travel?
Utah non-resident covers you in something like 32 different states. It's great if you spend any time travelling in the US. I go back to Tennessee 3-4X a year and it's nice to know that I'm covered in every state around there by the non-resident permits I hold.

Dont mean to hijack thread, but why have a non resident utah permit? Is it for travel?

It gives you multiple-state reciprocity. It's a great idea if you travel and want to carry without having an issue. Some states in the South will honor your home permit as they honor their own.

Many states allow open carry without a permit.

Some states issuing Non-res licenses require you to have a license in your home state. recently saw a person post they couldn't get a NH non-res license because NJ, where they live, won't give them a license.

I obviously have a MA license, too. I was wondering if it's necessary for me to have a non-res Maine license just for those times when I'm shopping or vacationing there.

I obviously have a MA license, too. I was wondering if it's necessary for me to have a non-res Maine license just for those times when I'm shopping or vacationing there.

I just renewed mine last year, knowing that in theory I might not need it.

My reasons (YMMV):

- I have no desire to declare that I'm carrying if not required (only works if you keep your ME License).
- Would like to venture to Acadia (illegal to carry there if not holding ME License).
- Not 100% certain but think other state parks also require a ME License to be legal.
- The cost isn't onerous for the amount of time that it is valid.

Not a huge concern but yes, the 1000' GFSZ Fed Law issue is avoided with a ME License, but not if you are under Constitutional Carry.

It's a decision each person needs to make for themselves. If all you are doing it hitting KTP and the outlets across the street, I wouldn't see the need to keep the license.

The quick simple answer is no, you don't need it. There are no metal detectors at any state or national park that I know of.
On the other hand, if you have one now, I'd renew it.

I do because it's Lepage's last term. If the moonbats get their way, the law could change and Lord knows what the waiting period will be with everybody applying at once.

I do because it's Lepage's last term. If the moonbats get their way, the law could change and Lord knows what the waiting period will be with everybody applying at once.

LePage is on his last term and I'm sure his replacement is going to reverse many of the good things he did while in office.

Can you still apply and get a CCP even though they passed a constitutional carry law?

OP's MA LTC will cover her wrt school zones anywhere in the US

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Incorrect. His MA LTC will only apply to him in MA wrt the 1000' rule.

Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(B):
[18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(A)] does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
(iii) that is—
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.
Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(3)(B):
[18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(3)(A)] does not apply to the discharge of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) as part of a program approved by a school in the school zone, by an individual who is participating in the program;
(iii) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in a school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual; or
(iv) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity.

Back
Top Bottom