• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine Cabin / Modular Home

I like this idea a lot. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the min temp they are effective and the speed at which they will heat up a space in cold climate.
The new generation heat pumps are supposed to be good down to -10. Problem is that Fryeburg is a notorious cold spot be g in that valley. Also it's a hot spot in the summer, which weighs in favor of the heat pumps because they are air conditioning units also.

As far as modular homes go, there are a bunch of manufacturers right next door in oxford, ME.

I like this idea a lot. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the min temp they are effective and the speed at which they will heat up a space in cold climate.
Mini's really shine at outside temps around 30-40. When you start to get colder outside temps there output and efficiency really start to drop off. Mitsubishi makes a hyper heat version that can get great output from some low outside temps but uses quite a bit of electricity to do so. Mini's make a great subsidy. Many offer wifi capability that you could turn them on when you're enroute to the cabin. Would recommend using propane for an on demand water heater and cooking and a wood stove for those really cold days.

my father and brother had to endure a "prefab" home. I would recommend against it. it sounds like the cheap way to go, but they use the crappiest materials, studs 24" on center or bigger....whatever they can get away with.
the result is you live with crappy tiny rooms, and there is NO WAY for a local carpenter to add rooms on. If he starts working on anything in the home, it just falls apart.

get a local guy to put up a tiny stud wall shack, insulate it well, and in your spare time add on to it.

Another way to go is to get a metal shed type garage installed for dirt cheap with electricity, well water, and a toilet/show that can be easily winterized. Then use it coupled with a rental RV. Then in your spare time, start building out a real house/cabin.

Mini's drop off fast below 32 but work great above that for cheap money in the shoulder seasons. Have a friend using one in Greenville and he hasn't turned on the LP furnace yet. It's been on all summer set at 72 in auto and his electric bill went up 5 bucks. He did not have AC prior.

my father and brother had to endure a "prefab" home. I would recommend against it. it sounds like the cheap way to go, but they use the crappiest materials, studs 24" on center or bigger....whatever they can get away with.
the result is you live with crappy tiny rooms, and there is NO WAY for a local carpenter to add rooms on. If he starts working on anything in the home, it just falls apart.

get a local guy to put up a tiny stud wall shack, insulate it well, and in your spare time add on to it.

Another way to go is to get a metal shed type garage installed for dirt cheap with electricity, well water, and a toilet/show that can be easily winterized. Then use it coupled with a rental RV. Then in your spare time, start building out a real house/cabin.
There experience sucks, but modular homes aren't just crappy glorified trailers anymore. The ones I am talking about are basically stick built houses done in a warehouse. Arguably they are better than a site built house.

Expect things to go "missing" on a regular basis.

Edit: Not so much if you reside there.

Definitely a concern. There are some very nice homes around me. I was fully intending to put in an alarm and also ip cameras (some very visible and some very hidden). I did the same at my home and office building and have come in handy on several occasions.

- - - Updated - - -

Expect things to go "missing" on a regular basis.

Edit: Not so much if you reside there.

Definitely a concern. There are some very nice person the homes around me. I was fully intending to put in an alarm and also ip cameras (some very visible and some very hidden). I did the same at my home and office building and have come in handy on several occasions.

Last edited:
Mini's drop off fast below 32 but work great above that for cheap money in the shoulder seasons. Have a friend using one in Greenville and he hasn't turned on the LP furnace yet. It's been on all summer set at 72 in auto and his electric bill went up 5 bucks. He did not have AC prior.

I would love if if the Minis could handle the 1100sft enough to not have to drain the water if I was coming back in a few days/week. If I want it over say 68 on a very cold day I would be fine using the stove as I do intend to use that as much as possible.

While surveying the property on ATVs, I found a well hidden green tent setup. Looks like it had been there for quite a while. It had a wood stove setup/installed and everything. I know it was not the previous owners and is most likely a local hunter's as I did not see any trash around (I would think kids partying would leave trash). I am intending to leave a sign on it next time I am up there saying the property is under new ownership. At this point I have no issue with people hunting the property but don't like the idea of people going to the extent of tents with wood stoves etc.

While surveying the property on ATVs, I found a well hidden green tent setup. Looks like it had been there for quite a while. It had a wood stove setup/installed and everything. I know it was not the previous owners and is most likely a local hunter's as I did not see any trash around (I would think kids partying would leave trash). I am intending to leave a sign on it next time I am up there saying the property is under new ownership. At this point I have no issue with people hunting the property but don't like the idea of people going to the extent of tents with wood stoves etc.

Be careful with prescriptive easements/adverse posession, etc.

IANAL... but I am in the midst of studying for my property final and I really really think you should get some advice as far as this goes.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I would have to agree. If the geography allowed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start digging and see what the soil is like before you make that decision.

Digging is usually pretty expensive - unless you decide to do it yourself.

The problem with digging is that you simply don't know what you're going to hit once you start pulling the dirt up.

It's Maine - not Cape Cod. There's going to be rocks, or possibly even ledge.

are outdoor wood burners allowed in Maine, here in Mich tons of people heat with out door burners that heat water that is pumped through the house heating it along with hot water for showers

If you think you're going to heat with wood - there are indoor wood boilers available also. They're more expensive than the outdoor "outhouse" style though. But it saves the trouble of having to dig your way thru 3 feet of snow to replenish the wood in your heat source in the middle of the night.

I have a pretty good ideal of typical construction cost in MA but not up in Maine. For example, I need a 12ft gravel access drive/road installed for approx. 1,100ft. I am curious if anyone has had something similar installed.

Edit: I also want to focus on insulation as well. I am curious what the cost is in this area for ICF (insulated concrete forms). I want to see if its cost effective for a part time home.

How much of this work are you thinking of doing yourself vs. paying for? Once you start adding up the cost of :

Putting in the driveway
potentially digging trenches for conduit for the electrical service
brush hogging
digging a foundation hole
etc.

You might want to look into what it's going to cost to get somebody else to do the work vs doing the work yourself. Of course doing the work yourself means having a piece of equipment that will handle it - and it's also your time.

It's always a time vs. money issue in the end.

As far as the ICF's go:

I would check out www.jlconline.com - and www.finehomebuilding.com. I get both magazines and both have had numerous articles about using ICF's to build foundations.

The benefits are that you gain an insulated foundation space by default, and for a person doing the work themselves, they can be set in place without having to rent forms or get a foundation contractor to come in to do the work. Pouring concrete for a foundation is relatively straight forward once you have the forms in place.

The only downside that I recally to the ICF style forms is that they're a termite conduit. Termites LOVE foam for some reason. I had a termite problem in my house a number of years ago that I found when I was building a second floor. They had gotten into some wet wood - and then also into the pink foam board I had used to insulate between the rafters in my basement. The whole thing had to come out.

Whether that would be a problem up in Maine - I don't know. You'd have to check the termite range to see if it's even a possible concern. There are methods to protect the foam from termite infestation - so you just have to pay attention to the construction details.

Though I would like to agree with you, I can't and that is from experience of the last two years. The area along the road ways will get fixed long before your feed along your driveway will. If you are the only one in the area left with out power, You will have to wait until all the other areas that have multiple customers with out power are fixed first. The power company will then get you in the next sweep. Thanksgiving storm 2014 two and half days with out power, ran intermittently off the portable welding machine, The wind storm this past fall (Now have a real generator) 24 hours without line power. Both of these times I was the only one down and it required an "Off Road" line crew and equipment. So do as you will. Remember as you get older some things are not as easily done.
bury everything and do extra conduits for future stuff.

Last edited:

If it was me - I would find out who the person is before causing too much of a stink.

Sometimes having "friends" helps. It's a concern having somebody obviously using the property, but making enemies of the "locals" is a concern too. Sometimes situations like this can work out for both people's benefit - just something to think about.

feel him out and maybe make friends with him if possible. A guard dog with your cell # is not a bad idea.

Agreed... but he should still talk to a lawyer as there are steps he can/should/might be to late to take to protect his interest in the property.

Mike
If really be shocked if adverse possession could possibly apply here. The use has to be obvious, over a long period of time, and I thought he would have to be paying taxes on the land. I might be wrong on that though.

Sent via Tapatalk on my Android phone. Good news; Tapatalk sucks less than it used to.

If really be shocked if adverse possession could possibly apply here. The use has to be obvious, over a long period of time, and I thought he would have to be paying taxes on the land. I might be wrong on that though.

Sent via Tapatalk on my Android phone. Good news; Tapatalk sucks less than it used to.

You're probably right... but not being a lawyer as I understand it he could still get some form of title by way of a prescriptive easement, IE legally enforceable permission to use the land every year to set up his hunting lodge and access to and from, and to hunt on all the land he normally hunts on, and that is something that could effect the the title/the OPs ability to sell the property down the road, etc.

Better safe than sorry. If I were in OPs position, I would take steps to cover my ass. Not sure how it usually works in ME, his lawyer could guide him, but it MAY be as easy as exchanging written notice and understanding of permission. Again, IANAL, this is not legal advice, but I would advise OP to talk to a lawyer to make sure everything is good to go.

The attorney's who handled his closing should be able to give him advice on what to do.

Mike

You're probably right... but not being a lawyer as I understand it he could still get some form of title by way of a prescriptive easement, IE legally enforceable permission to use the land every year to set up his hunting lodge and access to and from, and to hunt on all the land he normally hunts on, and that is something that could effect the the title/the OPs ability to sell the property down the road, etc.

Better safe than sorry. If I were in OPs position, I would take steps to cover my ass. Not sure how it usually works in ME, his lawyer could guide him, but it MAY be as easy as exchanging written notice and understanding of permission. Again, IANAL, this is not legal advice, but I would advise OP to talk to a lawyer to make sure everything is good to go.

The attorney's who handled his closing should be able to give him advice on what to do.

Mike
to put a stop to most adverse possession time lines, giving the person permission to use land states your right to the property, so allowing him to hunt the land would probably serve your interest, but I would not allow camping.

to put a stop to most adverse possession time lines, giving the person permission to use land states your right to the property, so allowing him to hunt the land would probably serve your interest, but I would not allow camping.

... As I'm not a lawyer I don't want to give legal advice, it should be an easy fix, BUT the guy should consult a lawyer versed in Maine law just to be on the safe side. Could save him a massive headache down the road, even if that headache will probably never come regardless.

Mike

Not really the case anymore.

What about steel homes? Seems like it would be less maintenance, and probably would go up pretty quick.

I'd personally vote for the log cabin idea. My wife really wants one... someday

Mike

... As I'm not a lawyer I don't want to give legal advice, it should be an easy fix, BUT the guy should consult a lawyer versed in Maine law just to be on the safe side. Could save him a massive headache down the road, even if that headache will probably never come regardless.

Mike
he would need to gather a lot more facts to go to an Atty to get a worthwhile opinion. In the mean time feeling the guy out and giving him permission to hunt might be the best play because while gathering the facts an Atty needs might just allow enough time to slip by for a magic date to pass. I wouldn't go hard and heavy at the guy with telling him to clear out until facts are known and has an Atty digest it.

What exactly is a "green tent setup"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic tent (Boy Scouts of America) with a tarp base. There is a small old wood stove and that's it. No food or any accessories. It's clear no one is living here. In fact it looks like it has not been used in quite some time.

Last edited:
he would need to gather a lot more facts to go to an Atty to get a worthwhile opinion. In the mean time feeling the guy out and giving him permission to hunt might be the best play because while gathering the facts an Atty needs might just allow enough time to slip by for a magic date to pass. I wouldn't go hard and heavy at the guy with telling him to clear out until facts are known and has an Atty digest it.

An attorney would still be able to tell him what he needs to do to definitively stop the clock on the SOL in a manner that would cover him should he ever wind up in court.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

The neighbor to my north in Maine pointed me to this when I asked him if I needed to post my property. He mentioned Maine has a permissible trespass law that basically really limits your liabilty when it comes to people using your property without your approval. They want to encourage people to not post their property for the greater good of all being able to use these large tracts. We need more of these common sense laws in general.

Landowner Liability Explained: Rights and Responsibilities
If someone comes onto my land and gets hurt, am I liable?

No, except in rare circumstances. Maine has a strong law to protect landowners, known as the “landowner liability” law (or the recreational use statute), Title 14, M.R.S.A. Section159-A.

If someone uses your land or passes through your premises for outdoor recreation or harvesting, you assume no responsibility and incur no liability for injuries to that person or that person’s property. You are protected whether or not you give permission to use the land.

If you allow volunteers to maintain or improve your land for recreation or harvesting, you are also protected from liability for injuries to them.

Useful definitions taken from the Liability Law

“Premises” means improved and unimproved lands, private ways, roads, any buildings or structures on those lands and waters standing on, flowing through or adjacent to those lands. “Premises” includes railroad property, railroad rights-of-way and utility corridors to which public access is permitted.

“Recreational or harvesting activities” means recreational activities conducted out-of-doors, including, but not limited to, hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, hiking, sight-seeing, bird-watching, operating snow-traveling and all-terrain vehicles, skiing, hang-gliding, noncommercial aviation activities, dogsledding, equine activities, boating, sailing, canoeing, rafting, biking, picnicking, swimming or activities involving the harvesting or gathering of forest, field and marine products. It includes entry of, volunteer maintenance and improvement of, use of and passage over premises in order to pursue these activities. “Recreational or harvesting activities” does not include commercial agricultural or timber harvesting.

“Occupant” includes, but is not limited to, an individual, corporation, partnership, association or other legal entity that constructs or maintains trails or other improvements for public recreational use.

Is the legal protection the same if I post my land “No Trespassing”?

Yes. As a practical matter, your legal protection is the same whether or not the land is posted.

Is it still possible for me to get sued in spite of the landowner liability law?

Yes, but it is very unlikely for two reasons: (1) a person who brings suit and loses must pay the landowner’s reasonable legal fees and court costs, and (2) the law protects landowners so clearly that there is little opportunity for the injured person to win. In fact, there has not been a single reported successful case against a landowner where the Maine Landowner Liability law applied.

VTJPM here, VT is for Vermont. I have a cabin that is off the grid. Everything pretty much runs on propane. The lights, stove, fridge, hot water & generator. I also have a wood stove for heat. I may install a propane heater some time soon. I wish I had opted for a metal roof. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom