• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine Cabin / Modular Home

Bump. Looking for any advice on a LP heating source for my basement that would still function in an electrical outage. The scope of this unit would be emergency heat first (should my mini splits and baseboard backup not work), but may also be used for heat if I finish part of the basement. I am thinking a direct vent furnace with battery backup.

My HVAC setup is.

1) Fujitsu Mini splits - primary
2) Base board electric - backup for really cold days (came included with modular)
3) Vermont Castings LP stove first floor - for when we want a pretty fire as well as emergency heat.
4) ????? Basement heat. LP

Johnstones lists a lot of wall furnaces, most of them don't need electricity, they run on natural gas, but they offer LP conversion kits.

Last edited:
I see you went with the modular house. I assume the inside is drywall. Have you drained the pipes and turned off the heat in the winter? If so, did your drywall crack?

Bump. Looking for any advice on a LP heating source for my basement that would still function in an electrical outage. The scope of this unit would be emergency heat first (should my mini splits and baseboard backup not work), but may also be used for heat if I finish part of the basement. I am thinking a direct vent furnace with battery backup.

My HVAC setup is.

1) Fujitsu Mini splits - primary
2) Base board electric - backup for really cold days (came included with modular)
3) Vermont Castings LP stove first floor - for when we want a pretty fire as well as emergency heat.
4) ????? Basement heat. LP
I don't know if they still make them or if they will work with LP, I would assume they would. but my house had an old natural gas steam furnace that used a thermopile with a pilot light, no electricity needed. Worked great when the power was out.

I see you went with the modular house. I assume the inside is drywall. Have you drained the pipes and turned off the heat in the winter? If so, did your drywall crack?

This will be the 1st winter. It will be used all winter long so I will keep heat on but lower. I will probably still drain the main water lines/shut off etc. I have a redundant system and trying to improve upon it just in case.

If all ur stuff is workin up stairs why do you want to heat the cellar
When the shit goes out I Like bein’ above ground
Heat will keep the well equipment from freezing and will rise up and keep the 1st floor from freezing is my thought. Will also provide heat in the basement if my kids have friends over etc.

Well equipment in basement won’t freeze since it’s below grade, especially since your house above maintains temp. If you really need, they make propane wall units with a pilot that maintain temp, integral therm, no power needed Justin propane.

I like this idea a lot. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the min temp they are effective and the speed at which they will heat up a space in cold climate.

Actually, I was in the Augusta area looking at homes and the RE broker told me those split systems like Mitsubishi are not recommended. She said it gets so cold up there they don't run efficient. I don't have any first hand knowledge.

The split systems do have a problem heating in extreme cold and the efficiency starts dropping off around 20 degrees. I have friends who have them. I wired the service outlet and disconnect for one friend.

As for a back up heat source take a look at Rinnai. There was another company whose name escapes me now that sold a lot of K-1 fired units as well as LP. They sipped fuel and put out a ton of heat. The K-1 units were prone to having a tiny fuel filter plug up.

Actually, I was in the Augusta area looking at homes and the RE broker told me those split systems like Mitsubishi are not recommended. She said it gets so cold up there they don't run efficient. I don't have any first hand knowledge.
I have a 3 bedroom log cabin right now and I have mini splits (4) wall mounts and a high efficient outdoor that will function down to -10degress. We only have a wood stove for backup there. So far it has worked great with added benefit of AC. I just want to add extra levels of heat sources” off propane.

Our electric bill is surprisingly low. Avg $70

I have a 3 bedroom log cabin right now and I have mini splits (4) wall mounts and a high efficient outdoor that will function down to -10degress. We only have a wood stove for backup there. So far it has worked great with added benefit of AC. I just want to add extra levels of heat sources” off propane.

Our electric bill is surprisingly low. Avg $70
Just goes to show you RE brokers aren't that smart

The split systems do have a problem heating in extreme cold and the efficiency starts dropping off around 20 degrees. I have friends who have them. I wired the service outlet and disconnect for one friend.

As for a back up heat source take a look at Rinnai. There was another company whose name escapes me now that sold a lot of K-1 fired units as well as LP. They sipped fuel and put out a ton of heat. The K-1 units were prone to having a tiny fuel filter plug up.

Monitor?

images

I have a Rinnai in the basement. It is very good but requires Electricity. The Empire is very popular and my propane dealer installed one at his parents house.

Back
Top Bottom