• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine bear hunting

^me too. That's not hunting....bait that is....hunting with dogs is cool.

I used to work at a privately owned donut shop in Maine and the leftover donuts every week (think 50 gal drum or two full) would be given by the owner to a hunter freind of his. He'd bait bears with them. I always kind of hoped a bear would maul him one day when he was laying his bait out.

I respect everyone's right to their opinion but that statement is just filled with stupid. So becaise a fellow hunter (if you are one) uses a different legal tactic to hunt , you want him mauled. Nice, real nice. Makes you sound like a HSUS member.

Baiting a bear in is no different than feeding deer up to the season start, same tactic. Dogs have their place, I dont use them personally but they have their place. Some people only use Bow and think guns are the easy way out, so be it but they should not condem other fellow hunters

If you dont want to bait then dont. If this crap passes you will see bear hunting go away and right after that will be turkey and deer. Then they will move to NH and VT and on and on. If you saw the 10's of thousands of acres being posted that used to be open to hunting maybe youd think twice about jumping on another hunter. HSUS only lost by a few percent last time so instead of bitching maybe lend a hand or make a donation.

Sent from the blind

I respect everyone's right to their opinion but that statement is just filled with stupid. So becaise a fellow hunter (if you are one) uses a different legal tactic to hunt , you want him mauled. Nice, real nice. Makes you sound like a HSUS member.

Baiting a bear in is no different than feeding deer up to the season start, same tactic. Dogs have their place, I dont use them personally but they have their place. Some people only use Bow and think guns are the easy way out, so be it but they should not condem other fellow hunters

If you dont want to bait then dont. If this crap passes you will see bear hunting go away and right after that will be turkey and deer. Then they will move to NH and VT and on and on. If you saw the 10's of thousands of acres being posted that used to be open to hunting maybe youd think twice about jumping on another hunter. HSUS only lost by a few percent last time so instead of bitching maybe lend a hand or make a donation.

Sent from the blind

See bold......and there are some that think modern inline muzzle loaders are "wrong" becuase it is not in the "spirit" of primitive fire arms and the guys that use them are just trying to get an extra two weeks of hunting........yup......they are. So what. If the technique is legal then use it......if you don't agree with the legal technique don't do it. Simple. Thats my opinion anyway.

So many are running their keyboards, Who has sent money?

Ive sent hundreds and gone to as many events as I could. I will say the few clubs I belong to in Maine have been a helluva lot more active in events and raising money than the clubs im in here in mass when we were trying to knock down the crap gun bill.

Sent from the blind

Thank You, You don't see may others here stepping up to the plate. They like to bitch though.

If we dont stop them here the bastards will march across the US. Worst part is that a lot of coastal maine is infiltrated with liberal city folk who hate the idea of hunting yet wont be without their steak and lobsters. Getting rural maine to vote will be the tough part, hopefully we got the word out that their way of living is at stake.

Sent from the blind

I was in central Maine all last week (Schoodic Lake) fishing and spoke with folks up there, They most likely are going to vote. The folks along south east Maine is what they are concerned about.

Yep. I was with some friends in Presque Isle their entire livelyhood is at stake and they feel its driven by the people in Portland, Freeport, etc..southeast as well. Plus there is a lot of Posting of property happening as well. Land I hunted for years now the owners feels different about deer or turkey feelings.

Sent from the blind

So many are running their keyboards, Who has sent money?

I've put in $100 so far. I'd heard a tale that Massachusetts Rod & Gun clubs, Sportsmans Associations, etc. were going to pool the money & send one larger check to the Maine folks. But I haven't heard anything from my Rod & Gun club. Anyone else hear anything about this?

I spend a lot of time in York (hope to buy vacation property there soon) and I went to Freeport for the first time this past weekend. Holy shite, what a moonbat enclave. I had no idea that existed north of Portland.

I am completely on board with night hunting, dogs and baiting, I'm just not crazy about the idea of trapping. It shouldn't be legislated, but it's a slow death for the animal and that isn't sporting, in my opinion.

I spend a lot of time in York (hope to buy vacation property there soon) and I went to Freeport for the first time this past weekend. Holy shite, what a moonbat enclave. I had no idea that existed north of Portland.

I am completely on board with night hunting, dogs and baiting, I'm just not crazy about the idea of trapping. It shouldn't be legislated, but it's a slow death for the animal and that isn't sporting, in my opinion.

Maybe you havent trapped before, they dont necessarily die in the trap. You have to check them every day and if theres a bruin there you dispatch him. Its either a foot snare or live trap. If your thinking those big old sharp jaw traps they arent legal to use.

Sent from the blind

Note about freeport peta was there protesting linda beans place for cruelty to lobsters...geesh

Sent from the blind

What is amazing is that some folks will vote based on their ignorance.

Bear populations must be controlled for human safety. If some of the means to hunt are ended, other means that makes sense and yield the same harvest must be instituted for human safety which the antis will also dislike. Why not just leaves things alone to begin with.

You know this about trapping bears? Please share your experience with us here.

For god sakes trapping bear is not done with these..stop watching movies or listening to HSUS

Sent from the blind

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408456477853.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408456477853.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 15
There's so much bad information on trapping its laughable. If people new how hard it is, the regulations behind it, the strict rules on what traps and how they can be used etccc theyd be amazed

Sent from the blind

From that news article, am I to understand that it's common for clients to pay a guide, to provide the client a shot at a bear trapped in a snare?

You cannot trap a bear for someone else to shoot. If you do, you won't be a guide for long or worse. Guides provide the guide to a prime location to trap and show you how best to set it up (thats key as bears are the hardest tovtrap imho). The guide will have baited the area to establish a pattern etc.

Sent from the blind

The guides will lose their license and get fined when they get caught pulling that. Yes, They will get caught. Once the word gets out and it will the guide will get caught. Also if that bear is taken out of state that was unlawfully taken the "Sport" will be taken task by The feds, as then it is a violation of the "Lacy Act". The "Sport" will sing like a bird on the guide. How do I know? I have been involved in such investigations as one of the investigators. Oh, The guide will also be brought forth on the "Lacy Violation" as well.

Like using your buddies tag on the deer you shot, but worse as youve stated above. Again misinformation is rampant about trapping.

Sent from the blind

Having thought about this arsehole some more I believed that he testified at the New Hampshire Hearing on Jan 30th 2014 and spouted bullshit about trapping there as well.

Are you kidding me? Why the fck does someone who trapped, and had shitty catch put down others...damn. we are all hunters in the end, I dont bitch about anyone choosing to pursue the sport in any legal manner. Id just love to see one of theae guys stalk a damn black bear in the woods of maine or NH....aint happening those damn bruins are smart as all hell.

Sent from the blind

Last edited:
Having thought about this arsehole some more I believed that he testified at the New Hampshire Hearing on Jan 30th 2014 and spouted bullshit about trapping there as well.

Douchebag, this crap of "I'm a hunter" or "I'm a gun owner" all the sudden giving weight to an argument is BS. Just because someone owns a hunting rifle or shoots a deer doesn't make their view of things any more powerful than a normal sheep. It's like Crazy Joe Biden with his shotgun statement.

Talk about a Useful Idiot. Has anybody in Maine checked this guys background out?

Yep I know of him. He actually got a group of other hunters (sheeple hunters) to join him in denouncing trapping. Id love to debate him and make the argument if your not shooting with a long bow, no camo, no scent blocker and of course no broadheads then its just not a fair hunt. Maybe ill advise him to hunt with a f'n club like a cave man. Wonder if he feels bad about using bait to fish as well, using his logic its just not fair to trap the animal by luring him in with food.

Sent from the blind

Is there a link to the animal rights industry with any of these idiots? They've paid people before for false testimony (and were caught at it).

Remember: follow the money, find the motive.

Is there a link to the animal rights industry with any of these idiots? They've paid people before for false testimony (and were caught at it).

Remember: follow the money, find the motive.

Sure gobto HSUS or the asshats from maine are fairbearhunt.com look at the endorsements. Also its made up of "supposed" hunters but truth be told its a bunch of hypocrits who say they are not anti hunting but support a group that wants to ban all hunting and even catch and release fishing wtf!

Sent from the blind

So where did you get this information that you so willingly profess as "The Truth"?

Oh if I don't get an answer, or an admission that you were talking out of your ass, I will be sending you a neg rep. I also hope others would do so as well.

I specifically indicated that this was my opinion, so I am not sure who you're quoting when you mention "the truth". I' also pointed out that I don't think the government has any business legislating trapping, which means, at least in the context of the original post, that I'm on your side, so you might want to try untwisting your panties.

By the way, thanks for the neg reps for sharing an opinion. Glad we're all adults here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom