Magpul is Leaving Colorado (Bill Signed Into Law)

It doesn't take a MBA to understand this simple bullshit.

And are you positive that they aren't doing this for legal reasons? I am inclined to believe that this has everything to do with breaking the law and nothing to do with appeasing customers. The first sentence of their facebook statement cites legal ramifications. What does that tell you?

This move is not marketing driven. This is them getting dicked in the ass. Now, can they at least gain some sort of marketing benefit from this? Or should they? You bet they should! Because otherwise there is NO value in getting forced out of CO by legislation. Period.

No I'm not positive about the legal ramifications. I don't pretend to know anything about legal. I suppose it's plausible.

But the bill in question in CO, which has yet to become law, would ban the possession and transfer of magazines over a certain capacity. Most of Magpul's PMAG models are over this threshold. So Magpul can't sell the "offending" models to CO residents. But nothing stopping them from selling to AZ, WY, NH or anywhere else where it's legal.

That's why I think it's mostly marketing, but again, I could be mistaken.

Plus, if there still HQ'd in CO, they would fall into CO jurisdiction. In other words, if PMAGs are made in WY but Magpul still calls CO home, they could still be exposed. If this is indeed an issue.

No I'm not positive about the legal ramifications. I don't pretend to know anything about legal. I suppose it's plausible.

But the bill in question in CO, which has yet to become law, would ban the possession and transfer of magazines over a certain capacity. Most of Magpul's PMAG models are over this threshold. So Magpul can't sell the "offending" models to CO residents. But nothing stopping them from selling to AZ, WY, NH or anywhere else where it's legal.

That's why I think it's mostly marketing, but again, I could be mistaken.

Plus, if there still HQ'd in CO, they would fall into CO jurisdiction. In other words, if PMAGs are made in WY but Magpul still calls CO home, they could still be exposed. If this is indeed an issue.

As to the legal, the bill originally had language that banned manufacture of standard capacity mags as well. Magpul was all WTF and said they will leave the state when they saw that language. The legislators changed the language allowing Magpul to still make standard capacity mags on the hope that Magpul would back down from their rhetoric. Magpul didn't and still fought the bill. As is usually the case with politicians, they passed the bill anyway despite major objections to the bill and Magpul's continued threat to leave the state if passed, even though the bill exempts them. The Gov will sign it tomorrow supposedly.

As to the legal, the bill originally had language that banned manufacture of standard capacity mags as well. Magpul was all WTF and said they will leave the state when they saw that language. The legislators changed the language allowing Magpul to still make standard capacity mags on the hope that Magpul would back down from their rhetoric. Magpul didn't and still fought the bill. As is usually the case with politicians, they passed the bill anyway despite major objections to the bill and Magpul's continued threat to leave the state if passed, even though the bill exempts them. The Gov will sign it tomorrow supposedly.

then I bet they don't even leave. If I were a betting man, my money would be on "this is marketing bullshit."

Magpul can stay or go for whatever reasons they want, people can buy or not buy their stuff for whatever reasons they want. If they move because they think a number of people won't buy their stuff if they stayed in a commie shithole so what? If they move solely because CO called their bluff and their customers will hold them to it, so what? Making the bluff was a business move, just as some gun companies are staying quiet in their shithole states and selling to everybody. Everybody is free to act in whatever way they feel is best for themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

then I bet they don't even leave. If I were a betting man, my money would be on "this is marketing bullshit."

I agree, I'm guessing token out of state large capacity mag production someday in the future.

Here is the thing, they have been marketing the whole "we are leaving if this bill passes" for a while now. If they don't move it might have the reverse effect of them trying to sound all tough and then backing down from their rhetoric. Which will cause a loss of customers and will probably hurt the brand image. Their Facebook page has 200,000 followers. A marketing ploy can backfire spectacularly on you if you don't follow through.

Here is the thing, they have been marketing the whole "we are leaving if this bill passes" for a while now. If they don't move it might have the reverse effect of them trying to sound all tough and then backing down from their rhetoric. Which will cause a loss of customers and will probably hurt the brand image. Their Facebook page has 200,000 followers. A marketing ploy can backfire spectacularly on you if you don't follow through.

+1

They either make good on their promise or their reputation is dead, simple as that.

Which is why my guess is they are going to weasel out by setting up mag production elsewhere and leave everything else the same.

Which is why my guess is they are going to weasel out by setting up mag production elsewhere and leave everything else the same.

correct. But I bet that they will eventually transition out of CO, although gradually. When reinvestment into production capital is needed, they will price shop and move if it's more convenient.

CO employees be damned or not.

I doubt it. I am sure there are plenty of state felating companies in the gun industry, and people still buy their shit up left and right.

This, nobody will give a shit either way, really. Oh no, the 10% that care will start buying Tapco/CAA etc... yeah right... [rofl]

That said, I thiink they will actually follow through though, eventually, although it probably wont be as "fast" as some like it to be.

-Mike

If Magpul does move out lock stock and barrel, CO governor Hickenlooper needs to change his name to Lickin'Pooper because he's going to have to be kissing alot of people's asses for destroying several primary businesses and all their peripherals and putting alot of people out of work. I can't imagine he'd survive the fallout from such a catstrophy in any future election.

If Magpul does move out lock stock and barrel, CO governor Hickenlooper needs to change his name to Lickin'Pooper because he's going to have to be kissing alot of people's asses for destroying several primary businesses and all their peripherals and putting alot of people out of work. I can't imagine he'd survive the fallout from such a catstrophy in any future election.
Hickenlooper cost the state a few hundred jobs in the process of driving out an "evil gun company". He'll be hailed as a hero by the left.

I think also he has likely mis underestimated the power of gun owners in his state. This particular move of his has likely pissed off a large number of independent and even a few dem gun owners in CO that probably voted for the guy... and now many of those people will vote him out of office.

-Mike

Hickenlooper cost the state a few hundred jobs in the process of driving out an "evil gun company". He'll be hailed as a hero by the left.

Yeah, but not in Colorado. While Denver has a bunch of moonbats in it the rest of the state probably is not going to be so "joyful" about it.

It also could be a lot more than a few hundred jobs. There are also tons of people lining up to boycott outdoor tourism there as well, so they also lose all the economic and tax revenue from visiting hunters, etc. There are plenty of other scenic, square states to shoot animals in, that do not have shitty gun laws. CO will stand virtually ALONE in this regard in that part of the country.

-Mike

Re: Magpul is Leaving Colorado (Gov. to Sign Bill Wednesday)

I have a friend who drafted the proposal for them to move to Wyoming. It's only 2 hours north of their current location. He works flute the governors council there. Haven't heard if it's accepted yet, they may wait until it's actually signed.

Using my galaxy s2 via tapatalk, because I am too lazy to find a computer

From Magpul's facebook...

Magpul Industries Corp.
3 hours ago

We are told that one of the reasons that Gov Hickenlooper will sign the magazine ban is the statistic presented by the Golden police chief that an increasing number of Law Enforcement officers have been shot with magazines that hold more than 10 rounds since the expiration of the federal AWB. Since most handguns ship with standard capacity magazines that hold more than 10 or even 15 rounds, that would make sense...but what that statistic doesn’t tell you is that the average number of rounds fired in a criminal homicide is less than 5 rounds. The capacity of the magazine never comes into play. It just happens to be what is in the firearm, regardless of how many rounds were actually fired.

This is just another example of how the anti-gun lobby has to twist statistics in order to find support for their position. The real, objective facts support none of their agenda, so half truths and distorted statistics are used to tell the story they want to tell—like the recent study they touted where “more gun laws equal less crime”, except they left several states and all major metropolitan areas out of the statistics, and included all manner of extraneous data…because that was the only way to “prove” what they wanted to present as fact. Chicago is safer than Missoula, MT? DC is safer than Ft Worth? Really? That’s just insulting to even suggest.
As this fight continues, ask for the whole picture. Ask how polls were conducted, and what questions were asked before believing their “stats”. Question bias is another favorite tactic of the anti-gun lobby. Accept no statistic without the whole picture. We’d be happy to give you all the supporting data on any “statistic” that we cite, as real data supports firearms freedoms. Demand that the other side of the argument do the same.

The governor of that state could give two shits about Magpul honestly. He does not care wether they move or not. He does not care, because it is for the children, and that trumps economic reprecussions. That fits into the plan. More people to go on the state welfare system....

So now that the Gov. Signed the bill can someone that has taken the oath to defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and DOMESTIC apprehend him? Just once I would like to see this as I just don't get what this oath is even for anymore.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Ok MagPul it's your move now. Colorado just dared you.

From their facebook page:

"With the signing of the HB 1224, we want to reassure Colorado residents, now officially in occupied territory, that the "Boulder Airlift" will continue until we can no longer legally ship to CO residents at the approach of the July 1 deadline, so long as demand continues.

We are looking at additional ways to give Coloradans the opportunity to buy the magazines they need prior to the enactment date, as although we've been swamped with tens of thousands of orders, our shipping department limitations have only allowed us to get a few hundred thousand magazines out to CO residents...a small portion of our monthly production. We'll continue to support the Airlift as long as demand exists, and up to the active date of the legislation, and we've allocated a little over a million magazines for the effort up to that point, give or take.

Customers in the rest of the country should rest assured that the airlift only takes a small portion of our production, and magazines and other products are continuing to ship to the rest of the nation. Our transition to a new home will occur in a phased and orderly a manner to allow us to continue to serve our customers during the move, as well as to allow an orderly transition for affected employees. We are actively working on those plans."

Back
Top Bottom