Magpul AK handguard

rocket500

NES Member
Installed, it's cleverly designed. As you tighten down the lower handguard it digs in to polymer "ribs"'and more or less custom fits it to your rifle. Fit is rock solid. Makes the fore end of the rifle a good deal chunkier. Some may like that while some may not. This is on an IO Ak. Supposedly takes standard AK furniture which this would seem to bear out. Stock is on back order.
image.jpg

Installed, it's cleverly designed. As you tighten down the lower handguard it digs in to polymer "ribs"'and more or less custom fits it to your rifle. Fit is rock solid. Makes the fore end of the rifle a good deal chunkier. Some may like that while some may not. This is on an IO Ak. Supposedly takes standard AK furniture which this would seem to bear out. Stock is on back order.
View attachment 137400

Just waiting on some reviews on those, seem interesting.

Just ordered the Zhukov for my Hungarian underfolder. Looking forward to getting it matched with my railed gas tube.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

Just ordered the Zhukov for my Hungarian underfolder. Looking forward to getting it matched with my railed gas tube.

i'd love a folder, but living in a repressed state I'd have to neuter the thing. Then what's the point.

You will have to let us know how hot it gets after a couple mag dumps when you get it to the range.

Let me know how it fits. You have to remove the front sling plate correct?

Heat shield is effective. Dumped 4 mags in a row at the range today. Hand guard was warm but fine to hold with bare hands. Accidentally touched the sling mount and instantly burned my hand (left a nice welt) so the gun itself was quite hot.

Heat shield is effective. Dumped 4 mags in a row at the range today. Hand guard was warm but fine to hold with bare hands. Accidentally touched the sling mount and instantly burned my hand (left a nice welt) so the gun itself was quite hot.

Sounds like you broke it in right proper, all that was missing was the blood of a virgin.

The sling mount will get hot no matter what type of handguard is on the gun because it is in direct contact with the barrel. If the lower guard itself was ok to hold after 4 mags then the heat shield is working.

Right- that's the point I was making. Gun was flaming hot, handguard was fine to hold.

The sling mount will get hot no matter what type of handguard is on the gun because it is in direct contact with the barrel. If the lower guard itself was ok to hold after 4 mags then the heat shield is working.

Got my Zhukov forend along with a new grip and Mlok AFG in OD Green.

Here is a pic preinstallation with the Ultimak railed gas tube and the two pieces of the Zhukov. The Zhukov heat shield is pretty beefy and it is what clamps to the barrel.

1zgt4d5.jpg

Here is a pic of my stock handguard retainer. This was a big decision as my AK is a minty 30+ year old Hungarian underfolder that had never been fired until I bought it from Zero Hour a few years ago. Pre-grinder action.

206gbup.jpg

This is the heat shield mostly installed with the Ultimak railed gas tube in place. A bit of a dance to get them both in place since they both clamp to the barrel, but they set up the Zhukov to work with the Ultimak railed gas tube. Big picture so you can see some detail.

153ww3m.jpg

All together with a Mepro 21 sight on it next to its Israeli cousin. Not so sure I'll keep the Mepro on this, it sits pretty high on the rail and there is no cheek weld with an underfolder to speak of.

2nkj8gm.jpg

Really nice to be able to extend my reach a bit. C-clamp is not recommended as your hand is right at the gas ports. Good thing I don't C-clamp like Costa.

After using some there is now fore/aft wiggle in the handguard. My wood furniture did too so no real difference.

Here you go Atilla. It is for sale if anyone is interested. SBR so of course we have to do the ATF dance. But apparently that isn't as slow as it used to be. I have two 50 round mags coupled together that I use with it. I had a Mepro 21 sight on it, that is why it has the cheek riser. I will put something else on it that is smaller. The rail section isn't very big and it doesn't take much in terms of mounting hardware for an optic to get in the way of the vertical charging handle. PM me if you have any other questions or are interested in buying it.

The muzzle brake is pretty awesome. This thing shoots out a couple feet of flame and is loud as hell. It always gets everyone's attention when I go to the range. That and I can shoot for a long time with my 50 round mags.

Here you go Atilla. It is for sale if anyone is interested. SBR so of course we have to do the ATF dance. But apparently that isn't as slow as it used to be. I have two 50 round mags coupled together that I use with it. I had a Mepro 21 sight on it, that is why it has the cheek riser. I will put something else on it that is smaller. The rail section isn't very big and it doesn't take much in terms of mounting hardware for an optic to get in the way of the vertical charging handle. PM me if you have any other questions or are interested in buying it.

The muzzle brake is pretty awesome. This thing shoots out a couple feet of flame and is loud as hell. It always gets everyone's attention when I go to the range. That and I can shoot for a long time with my 50 round mags.

5210605+_60bb9be668d9ea49a84a26531b809694.jpg

One note about the handguard. If you use any mlok mount on the bottom rail you won't likely be able to store your cleaning rod in the stock location under the barrel.

Got my Zhukov forend along with a new grip and Mlok AFG in OD Green.

Here is a pic preinstallation with the Ultimak railed gas tube and the two pieces of the Zhukov. The Zhukov heat shield is pretty beefy and it is what clamps to the barrel.
[SNIP]

Here is a pic of my stock handguard retainer. This was a big decision as my AK is a minty 30+ year old Hungarian underfolder that had never been fired until I bought it from Zero Hour a few years ago. Pre-grinder action.

[SNIP]

This is the heat shield mostly installed with the Ultimak railed gas tube in place. A bit of a dance to get them both in place since they both clamp to the barrel, but they set up the Zhukov to work with the Ultimak railed gas tube. Big picture so you can see some detail.

[SNIP]

All together with a Mepro 21 sight on it next to its Israeli cousin. Not so sure I'll keep the Mepro on this, it sits pretty high on the rail and there is no cheek weld with an underfolder to speak of.

[SNIP]

Really nice to be able to extend my reach a bit. C-clamp is not recommended as your hand is right at the gas ports. Good thing I don't C-clamp like Costa.

WOW! Thanks for posting your experiences/impressions installing the Zhukov handguard onto your Hungarian underfolder. I have been considering doing this same upgrade on my rifle built out using an AK63D parts kit, but I've been completely unsuccessful in getting any answers to my questions anywhere online or from Magpul directly...until coming across your post that is!

I'm specifically interested in any compatibility issues with the underfolder being able to fully collapse/fold up given the Zhukov's dimensions. Have you experienced any such problems/issues with your rifle? Also, I'm concerned about the increase in forward/muzzle weight that comes with the Zhukov's nearly 1lb weight throwing off the rifle's balance (especially as mine is already equipped with an UltiMak and RDS up front which adds some additional forward weight). Any thoughts/impressions on that issue since your rifle is very similarly equipped?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!

WOW! Thanks for posting your experiences/impressions installing the Zhukov handguard onto your Hungarian underfolder. I have been considering doing this same upgrade on my rifle built out using an AK63D parts kit, but I've been completely unsuccessful in getting any answers to my questions anywhere online or from Magpul directly...until coming across your post that is!

I'm specifically interested in any compatibility issues with the underfolder being able to fully collapse/fold up given the Zhukov's dimensions. Have you experienced any such problems/issues with your rifle? Also, I'm concerned about the increase in forward/muzzle weight that comes with the Zhukov's nearly 1lb weight throwing off the rifle's balance (especially as mine is already equipped with an UltiMak and RDS up front which adds some additional forward weight). Any thoughts/impressions on that issue since your rifle is very similarly equipped?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!
It folds up fine. Mine is under my feet right now in my ottoman folded and locked. I don't find the weight too far forward to be honest. There isn't that much weight added really even with the ultimak and rds. It absolutely gives you a much farther forward grip, which I like. I think you'll be fine. It is a sweet setup.

It folds up fine. Mine is under my feet right now in my ottoman folded and locked. I don't find the weight too far forward to be honest. There isn't that much weight added really even with the ultimak and rds. It absolutely gives you a much farther forward grip, which I like. I think you'll be fine. It is a sweet setup.

Good deal! Thanks for the info.

Think I'll go find a stocking dealer for the Zhukov handguard and an AK+ grip and get to work.

Thanks again.

Have had the MOE stock on back order a while. Here we are now all kitted out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom