• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Made some holsters

Well I found myself a new hobby. I'm now addicted to making holsters. I spent the last few nights making myself some IWB holsters. I've worked with leather before so it was nothing new to me. Kydex on the other hand is all new. After a short learning curve with the Kydex I was getting the stuff to form the way I wanted.

My father always tought me to be a craftsman and not to half ass anything. He always tells me to put my heart and soul into everything I do. I'm now teaching my son the same thing. He's only 12 and already asking me to show him how to make a holster. If he takes to it I'll be buying him his own leather working tools.

This is pretty much my start to finish process for making a holster.

1. Hand cut the leather from a few patterns I made.
2. Bevel the edges and burnish them. Beveling and burnishing makes for a nice edge on the leather that won't wear against your skin when wearing the holster.
3. Make a vacuum form of firearm in Kydex.
4. Cut out Kydex form on bandsaw.
5. Wet sand all edges of Kydex to a nice smooth, shinny edge.
6. Drill out mounting holes in Kydex. Bevel holes for a nice smooth edge.
7. Position Kydex form on leahter and mark mounting holes. Punch out all mounting holes in the leather.
8. Seal leather with an acrylic sealer and let dry.
9. Wipe leather with a leather conditioner.
10. Install Kydex form and belt clips.
11. Test fit and adjust tension.

A couple of the holsters have rubber washers under the mounting screws. The Chicago screws I had were to long and needed washers under them. I ordered some shorter ones. Hopefully they will be in this week. I'm not really a big fan of the rubber washer look. Even though it gives a more "industrial" look.

The holsters on the left are made with horsehide. The upper right is veg. tanned leather. Lower right is drum dyed black. So it is black all the way through to the back. The holster with the Ruger sp101 was made with .080 Kydex. It has less definition and is harder to mold. The other three holsters were made with .060 kydex.

Pm on the way Business. Thanks for the compliments. I'd have to invest in some blue guns before I started taking any kind of orders. Anyone wanna donate some [smile]. I need to try making some outside the waistband holsters next.

Are you going to be using a press or a vacuum former? Slowly heat the Kydex. Buy a laser thermometer to monitor the surface temp of the Kydex. Do not rely on the actual oven setting temp. I've had the best luck heating the Kydex between 325-350 degrees.

Are you going to be using a press or a vacuum former? Slowly heat the Kydex. Buy a laser thermometer to monitor the surface temp of the Kydex. Do not rely on the actual oven setting temp. I've had the best luck heating the Kydex between 325-350 degrees.

thanks for the advice. i was planning on a press but i have a vacuum sealer i can use (if the wife isnt around). maybe ill grab a cheap laser therm from from harbor freight.

Since it was raining today and I'd be stuck inside. I figured it was a good time to try and make an outside the waistband holster. This is my first attempt at one. I still need to make some belt loops for it. I made it from .060 Kydex. I think all my future OWB holsters will be made from .080. It is held together with chicago screws right now. I need to order some eyelets and flairing dies this week. I have a few new ideas that I want to try on my next one. Hopefully UPS will be dropping by this week with my order of blue guns. Once they arrive then the fun will begin. [smile]

Finally received my first order of dummy guns. So now I can really have some fun molding stuff. I have a few new ideas for some owb style holsters that I want to try. I've decided to put my heart and soul into making holsters. So I contacted my town zoning board and a business lawyer. I'm going to do this by the book and start my own business. I'm not going to quit my day job just yet. But hopefully someday if I can make holsters and other leather items fulltime I will say adios to my current day job.

This is a saddle bag that I just recently made for the chopper that I'm building. I was going for kind of an industrial look with the wingnuts. As the chopper is going to have an unfinished industrial look to it when done.

Here is what that saddlebag will be going on.

chopper004.jpg

I went down to the townhall today and was issued my business certificate. So now I can open up a business account at the bank. I have a business lawyer filing the rest of the paper work to make this an official tax paying business. So hopefully G3 holsters inc. will be up and running within a few weeks. [smile]

Last edited:
These look great! I love leather/kydex hybrid holsters. I currently use a Minotaur MTAC, I just wish it was available in a WML-compatible version. Do you have access to a 4" XD40 and Surefire X300?

Awesome looking holsters. Congrats on starting the business. If you have time, PM me a price for a G17. If I buy one I'll do a test and review on it, and post it here.

I'm also looking for one for a G17... I was waiting for C-pher to start another group buy, but you all know how much he HATES to run group buys... [wink]

Back
Top Bottom