• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Machine guns in Mass??

hi guys, im new here but have a few questions and hoping you can all help!

I live in Mass but have a second home in New Hampshire. I have my LTC in both states. I have started to collect guns for many reasons, but mainly for the investement aspect. Fortunatley i have made a couple of great connections, investors etc.. that allow me to get great pricing on collections for rare guns including automatic weapons.

questions is, I can and have bought machine guns, suppressors, etc in NH no problem but cannot in mass. so..

Question #1

1.) If i can legally buy them in NH and there registerd with ATF, etc. can i STORE them in mass in my safe and primary residence?
2.) if not, how can i go about getting a proper license to do this. or what is the process??
3.) Im not interested in an FFL to resell or have a store front nor do i want to make guns, I simply want to purchase them as an investment.

Question #2

1.) The firearms i bought in NH, SCAR 16L, XD compacts, etc.. i assume i cannot bring those into mass and shoot them at my local club?

i know the quick answer is to move to NH :) but thats not in the cards for some time.

any and all help is MUCH appreciated. thanks all!

...I can and have bought machine guns, suppressors, etc in NH no problem but cannot in mass. so...

Question #1

1.) If i can legally buy them in NH and there registerd with ATF, etc. can i STORE them in mass in my safe and primary residence?
2.) if not, how can i go about getting a proper license to do this. or what is the process??

Question #2

1.) The firearms i bought in NH, SCAR 16L, XD compacts, etc.. i assume i cannot bring those into mass and shoot them at my local club?

Welcome to NES!

1.1) Machine Guns, only with a MA machine gun license; Suppressors, no.

1.2) Acquire a machine gun license...
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/resident-ltc-fid-application.pdf.
Some towns will issue them, some won't. Having an 03FFL (C&R) may be necessary to comply with the "bona fide collector" clause (MGL 140-131(o)(ii)).

2.1) You can bring firearms you own into MA, providing you are appropriately licensed to possess such, they are compliant with the AWB, and any large capacity magazines are pre-ban.

i would wait for someone with a machine gun lic to chime in but i belive if these are registered through the atf on a form (?) they can not be taken over state lines without atf permission. again, i am not positive but i remember reading something on these lines. machine guns, supressors and anything post ban should stay in NH

Good luck getting a non-resident machine gun license.

ETA: Although it appears you are an MA primary resident... hmm. nevermind.

Going to vary depending on town. Some will deal, others will go NFW.

-Mike

Last edited:
You know what. If you are dealing with a collection where MG $$$s are being thrown about and you are in MA, then you really should have a personal attorney. Best to keep things in NH whenever possible. The feds will require you to file papaerwork for whatever state the NFA items are to be taken to. Again, you are in personal attorney territory.

My thoughts exactly! [hmmm]

thanks for all the help guys. after alot of digging on the site i found some other great resources as well.

Kevlar - i downlaoded the application, filled it out and made an appointment with the local poloice chief on Friday morning. thank you for the link.

the application seems simple enough, but seems too simple to apply for machine gun license?? is there something else im missing?

i dont think my local chief is too savy on the gun laws so anyone out there have any suggestions or preparation for my meeting or anything i should bring to gain his confidence or laws/rules to show him?

thanks guys!

thanks for all the help guys. after alot of digging on the site i found some other great resources as well.

Kevlar - i downlaoded the application, filled it out and made an appointment with the local poloice chief on Friday morning. thank you for the link.

the application seems simple enough, but seems too simple to apply for machine gun license?? is there something else im missing?

i dont think my local chief is too savy on the gun laws so anyone out there have any suggestions or preparation for my meeting or anything i should bring to gain his confidence or laws/rules to show him?

thanks guys!

Your not missing anything. The form is the same for a LTC-A/B, FID or MG licenses. Just check the different box. Pay same $100 for MG or LTC/FID licenses. Different but same $ amount. The MG license has a Green stripe on it.

To take NFA firearms/items across state lines you'll need to fill out a 5320.20 in duplicate, http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-20.pdf. Mail it to the address on the form and you should have an approved form in 10-14 days, mine came back in 10, and it is good for one calendar year. Many folks who go to the same shoots every year or travel to the same places will fill this out at the beginning of the year rather than apply everytime they want to go shoot. I believe you need a different form for each location and/or state (a location must be filled in on the form) and you are allowed to travel whithin that state. Double check my last before you file.

If you are involved in collections that have NFA firearms/items, I recommend getting a NFA Trust. The advantages in having one are greater than not having one. Major pluses: One, being a MA resident, is that if your town hirer's a new CLEO and the new CLEO doesn't like NFA "anything" then your problem is less as the Trust owns them not you. Two, you don't have to have your CLEO sign off on every new NFA firearm/item want to buy.

Back
Top Bottom