• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Machine Gun Shoot at your gun club

I been thinking about this for a while now and was wondering what other people thought of it. For the past 2 years the gun club I belong to has been doing a NFA/Machine gun shoot in May and Oct, Next Sunday is our 4th one. I'm the one that provides the guns for the shoot. I have about 25 machine guns at the moment, Click here to see the tread of what I have for the shoot. I approached with the idea of having one as a way to help raise money for the club, people are always doing stuff to improve the club and I don't really have time to help out, so this is my way to help out and for people to get to try out a bunch of things that they normally probably wouldn't get to try.

I was thinking that some other gun clubs around might like to have a machine gun shoot at there club. It could raise some money for the club and I could make some money also. What do people think of the idea, is it a bad one? To much liability, not enough gun clubs that allow machine gun fire, laws to scary in MA to venture in with a car load of machine guns ( I'm in NH)? It is fun to be able to watch someone fire a machine gun for the first time. What are peoples thoughts?

Well, it's a no-go in DPRM, as one needs a MG License to even handle a FA.

This will cut down on the contestant pool, I'd say.

Sure it's fun to watch a FA in action, but if you can't play, too, meh.

The above notwithstanding, after the unpleasantness in Westfield a few years back, I'm sure there are few BoDs that would green-light such an event.

I think it's a great idea. The most fun I had with my machineguns was letting other people shoot them but Ma put a stop to that with their idiotic law.

I think it's a great idea. The most fun I had with my machineguns was letting other people shoot them but Ma put a stop to that with their idiotic law.
The only one I shot was in MA a couple of years ago. No state permission. It was so cool I started my C&R to satisfy then looked at the cost of buying.
I can rent them now so if I ever get the urge again.

It would fun to do and for those in MA who have their green card but not a lot of greenbacks it would be nice to shoot. But not many clubs allow FA.

I want to make sure you have the proper spelling of my name for your last will and testament...

Nice collection!!!

I am certain that if attempted in MA, the authorities will shut it down.

However, doing it in NH shouldn't be a problem and no green cards necessary.

Londonderry F&G holds a MG shoot annually. I think it is a fundraiser for the NH Republican party IIRC.

I'm sure that other clubs up here would be interested and MA folks could come up to enjoy the day without a boot on their neck.

Well.......since you don't have an American 180 with a 270rnd mag, it's a no go for me !
[mg] [rofl]

OP, I love this.

You need a 6.5cm machine gun. Would be like a full auto sniper rifle.

In Massachusetts to even hold or touch a machine gun you must have a Massachusetts machine gun license. There are only 3300 machine gun licenses that have been issued in the state. That is the entire state. I am not sure you will get too many partisapents.

In Massachusetts to even hold or touch a machine gun you must have a Massachusetts machine gun license. There are only 3300 machine gun licenses that have been issued in the state. That is the entire state. I am not sure you will get too many partisapents.
True, but the AG (now gov'r) shut down the one machine gun shoot that was advertised after the Westfield incident. So, even if you restricted it to green-card (MG) holders only, it would be shut down. You could only do it via word-of-mouth and assuming nobody said anything outside a small circle of friends.

That's if you hold it in MA. If it was in NH then you wouldn't have that problem

AFAIK The law sayS possess, not touch. Is there a case to cite?

AFAIK The law sayS possess, not touch. Is there a case to cite?
I had this lengthy discussion with Atty Jason Guida back when he was FRB Director. His legal opinion and contention is if you merely touch one (even on the wall of a shop) without a MG license you are in violation of the law. Max penalty was life in prison. Depending on the judge/jury, you might possibly beat the rap, but it could be a very expensive ride! I wouldn't want to bet my life on a MA judge or jury wrt a gun case. YMMV

I had this lengthy discussion with Atty Jason Guida back when he was FRB Director. His legal opinion and contention is if you merely touch one (even on the wall of a shop) without a MG license you are in violation of the law. Max penalty was life in prison. Depending on the judge/jury, you might possibly beat the rap, but it could be a very expensive ride! I wouldn't want to bet my life on a MA judge or jury wrt a gun case. YMMV
Can I ride the appeals all the way to SCOTUS so we can put Miller in context with Heller, Caetano, and Bruen? Let's get this party started

Can I ride the appeals all the way to SCOTUS so we can put Miller in context with Heller, Caetano, and Bruen? Let's get this party started
You sure can. I assume you have a bottomless pot of money and don't mind losing your LTC and all your guns at least for the decade it will take. And possable do the whole thing from a prison cell.

We need to fix the system, having to put your freedom at risk, bankrupt yourself, and spend many years all just for a chance to overturn an unconstitutional law is ridiculous. If that was applied to 1a the whole country would e screaming.

So the answer is no. There is no case law, just one guy's opinion.

Granted Jason is an "officer of the court" as an attorney (I guess that is the term of art) and I greatly respect your breadth/depth of knowledge of MA foolishness Len.

Its just that I have heard this same thing parroted over and over yet "possession" in every other legal sense of the word=ownership AFAIK.

And no, I do NOT want/plan to be a test case, but then I clearly already have my green card. It took me MANY years (had to wait for a C.O.P to retire) and jumping through many hoops but I persevered.

So the answer is no. There is no case law, just one guy's opinion.

Granted Jason is an "officer of the court" as an attorney (I guess that is the term of art) and I greatly respect your breadth/depth of knowledge of MA foolishness Len.

Its just that I have heard this same thing parroted over and over yet "possession" in every other legal sense of the word=ownership AFAIK.

And no, I do NOT want/plan to be a test case, but then I clearly already have my green card. It took me MANY years (had to wait for a C.O.P to retire) and jumping through many hoops but I persevered.
possession != ownership

If you loan me a pistol for a competition, I am in possession while carrying and using it, even without transfer of ownership.

The debate seems to be where does possession transfer, and the state's position (at least at the time) was "with contact." How that would hold up is anyone's guess.

Back
Top Bottom