• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA to RI transfer

That’s carrying a pistol. I don’t see restrictions on unloaded transport of a pistol or rifle.

The carve out for non residents is that they can now carry (on their person) passing through the state.

It's been that way for a long time.

That's not what is says....just that fragment. It's says without an LTC issued in RI you can't (there are non resident LTC's issued).
There are several exceptions (for residents and coming to/from range...to/from gunsmith....from LGS in original box)

If you're up for the chat with the local PD with a rifle laying across your front seat, have at it. Even if you're 100% right, it can be a very long day
Even FOPA wouldn't protect you if you just lay a rifle across the front seat, in plain view, while driving across state lines. It must be unloaded and secured in the trunk or a locked container out of reach of drivers and passengers. Personally, I would also remove the bolt from the rifle and hide it behind the spare tire, just to cover myself a bit more.

Even FOPA wouldn't protect you if you just lay a rifle across the front seat, in plain view, while driving across state lines. It must be unloaded and secured in the trunk or a locked container out of reach of drivers and passengers. Personally, I would also remove the bolt from the rifle and hide it behind the spare tire, just to cover myself a bit more.
I know

Even after all this I don’t claim to know what the actual process is. I know my experience with a couple FFL’s, and my layman reading of the law. All I suggested is it’s worth calling an FFL first to find out the process cause I think it will be hard to find one who’ll do a private transfer like that even if it’s legal.

My initial response was influenced by the response I got when I asked about another interstate transfer a few months ago. Short version was do it the slow expensive way with FFL’s

Can an out of state resident possess guns in RI or not? If they can, then there is no issue, just the FFL's being difficult.
Yes you can. We are not quite as ridiculous as Mass, but the current a**h***s in the statehouse are doing their best to make you look like a better state for firearms.

Bring the gun to whatever FFL you are using and give it to them. Do NOT bring any magazines over 10 rounds with you. I don't remember if they look at your drivers license or not, but the person receiving the gun has to fill out the 4473 and RI's stupid local background check form too. That's it. No need to overthink it.

Back
Top Bottom