• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA shut down well into June???.....Wife’s work says so.

I know someone at BMC in billing. Hospitals are on the verge of going out of business. They are only half full of covid patients and very little other. No surgeries are going on unless absolutely needed. No MRI’s no other things that pay the bills. Some doctors and nurses are laid off
Half the place is empty. And the beds are sitting costing them money.

She said this continues they will be screwed.

My dad has cancer surgery next Wednesday. Getting his C19 test tomorrow to ensure he doesn’t have it before they cut. He’s already been delayed from earlier this month.

Non-C19 doctors want to get back to work.

It’s one of the Boston hospitals.

My dad has cancer surgery next Wednesday. Getting his C19 test tomorrow to ensure he doesn’t have it before they cut. He’s already been delayed from earlier this month.

I hope it goes as well as possible.

Like everyone else in the world, I've lost someone to cancer - it sucks. Right now a good friend of mine is dying from it - and there's nothing that can be done.

Hospital where I work extended the elective surgery cancellation date from 5/4 to 5/18, and it seems that it's likely to be extended even further after that. Not looking good at least for my hospital. Floors are still full of sick pts.

I remmeber when I was posting those numbers when COVID was starting in Italy. I was called a POS and told I didnt care.

Fast forward a couple of months and now everyone is starting to see the real numbers.

I think a good first move would have been for States to say something like work doesnt start until 10am. Between 5am-9am, older people and people with underlying conditions can go out and buy what they need. If you are over 50, you can work from home and no one can force you to go to the office. If you have aever conditions, get a doctors note and your company cant force you to go to the office. At 10am, the world goes back to normal. Businesses stay open and cater to different customers at different time. Businesses make arrangements to make sure those people can work from home.

I feel something like that would have been a much better first step.
Yup, many of us heard the same things. I myself was sent a PM by a MOD telling me to shut up.

In the beginning, a local news channel broke into the broadcast with "breaking news". A women, 59 or 69, can't recall, had just died because of Covid 19. She was the 2nd Covid 19th death in MA. Then we learned that she had "advanced" Emphysema and had serious breathing issues and was in hospice care.

Right then and there I looked at my wife and said this is going to become a mega hyped media event that will also be used for multiple political issues that will cause this country far greater harm than the virus ever will.

Last edited:
What is going to happen come May 18? Another 2 weeks? Another 2 after that?

I am fortunately employed with an essential occupation however I feel for the huge number of people who are getting hammered by this draconian shutdown, and the voices of the citizenry must be heard. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am not sure if even one state employee has been furloughed or let go, and for damn sure not every public sector job is essential.

Wishing your Dad the very best!! Went through the same battle with my wonderful Dad for 4 years. God bless u and your family!!

My company has cracked the faucet open to a steady drip. We no longer need manglement permission to go into the office, but we still need to notify them if we go in and the acceptable reasons for going in are unchanged. Masking, temperature taking and other social distancing rules remain the same. I've not gone in for a month+; see no need to go in now.

Just saw on the news, mandatory mask orders in place for Sommerville, Cambridge, Lawrance, and Peabody. Fines of $300 for not wearing a mask in public for the first 3 $1000 for Peabody.

Just saw on the news, mandatory mask orders in place for Sommerville, Cambridge, Lawrance, and Peabody. Fines of $300 for not wearing a mask in public for the first 3 $1000 for Peabody.
masks should have been mandatory statewide form start but the fines thing is freaking stupid

Good luck and best wishes to your dad and your family!

Pretty interesting and something that seems to be a common belief in Boston.

Preliminary results of USC-LA County COVID-19 study released

Based on testing results from 863 adults, the research team estimates that approximately 4.1% of the county’s adult population has antibody to the virus. Adjusting this estimate for statistical margin of error implies about 2.8% to 5.6% of the county’s adult population has antibody to the virus— which translates to approximately 221,000 to 442,000 adults in the county who have had the infection. That estimate is 28 to 55 times higher than the 7,994 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported to the county by the time of the study in early April.

I hope it goes as well as possible.

Like everyone else in the world, I've lost someone to cancer - it sucks. Right now a good friend of mine is dying from it - and there's nothing that can be done.
Wishing your Dad the very best!! Went through the same battle with my wonderful Dad for 4 years. God bless u and your family!!
Good luck and best wishes to your dad and your family!

He's got a barely-stage-1 nubby on his vocal chords. It's in the best place possible as well. Had the doc been a bit less busy, he'd have gotten the surgery BEFORE all of this started.

He's freaking out a bit while this grows. But it's a slow-grower in the first place and they only caught it because he had poo-namonya last fall and it lingered. He's somewhat of a COVfefe risk because of a lifetime of smoking. The flip side is that his side of the family has AMAZING genetics. He'll be 80 in October - not a single med. Not one. His mom lived to 91. His dad died at 62 from emphysema - he worked extensively with asbestos in the 50's and 60's. Otherwise, Gramps was as healthy as a horse as well. But no cardiovascular issues.

If masks are to be mandatory how come they are unobtanium??? Provide them if they are to be mandatory.

What kind of mask???

I mean, what are we trying to do? Stop spread or stop receiving or just feel good? What????

I've got a set of pretty extensive fabric masks. After about 45 min, it's a chore to wear them. Most folks at BJ's today were wearing those paper-thin things that go around your ears. In between are the home-made masks.

To be honest - I'd love for some folks from Japan or Hong Kong or something get on the cable news and talk about their experiences with masks. It would help immensely. (Of course, I'd have to watch cable news. LOL) Seriously. There is such a LACK of information out there.

If masks are to be mandatory how come they are unobtanium??? Provide them if they are to be mandatory.

Define “mask”. N95s sure, but anything covering your mouth and nose is now considered a “mask”, even though there is likely no formal State definition. You can make that with a paper towel and masking tape. Good luck trying to charge someone with having an insufficient mask if it does those two things.

masks should have been mandatory statewide form start but the fines thing is freaking stupid
If people don't just roll over and pay the fine ... IIRC there was a court case that ruled that a person on foot can not be compelled to provide an ID. It would be hard to convict/fine John/Jane Doe for this if they ignore the ticket.

If people don't just roll over and pay the fine ... IIRC there was a court case that ruled that a person on foot can not be compelled to provide an ID. It would be hard to convict/fine John/Jane Doe for this if they ignore the ticket.

the only problem is that justice is fairly expensive these days and there may be other ways that police may ask for ID, like you are black and may be suspicious and friskable.

I think that in most cases, poor people will just ignore it and people with money will just pay it.

. I think that in most cases, poor people will just ignore it and people with money will just pay it.

Yes, like in CA where crimes by the poor are ignored, but the employed and employers are jacked up with frivolous fines and outrageous fees. That’s what keeps the big Govt gravy train running.

Those with something to lose will pay the fine. It’s not worth State govt going after those without money who will just ignore it. Prosecuting or locking them up costs even more. It’s not profitable. It’s all about the revenue they can easily squeeze from taxpayers who have something to lose.

Yes, like in CA where crimes by the poor are ignored, but the employed and employers are jacked up with frivolous fines and outrageous fees. That’s what keeps the big Govt gravy train running.

Those with something to lose will pay the fine. It’s not worth State govt going after those without money who will just ignore it. Prosecuting or locking them up costs even more. It’s not profitable. It’s all about the revenue they can easily squeeze from taxpayers who have something to lose.

Exactly, same way then enforce construction rules.

Literally fascist dictators! Where is Antifa when you need them?

Running on full-spin. Bouncing from one to the other:

On one hand, they feel it's about time the government forced people to do things so they aren't fascist.

On the other hand, the whole mask thing is eating into their whole mask thing.

Is that where Bob Craft goes now?

I had to. 😂

You being Punny????

I just sent this to Bakers office, via the email link on the governor's website:

Heard your address today declaring schools closed for the year. You sounded weak, feeble, unmoving. Your half hearted declaration that you are one of the affected people who is being hurt by your closed economy...I have to call bs on that one. You are getting overpaid. As are all your useless hack appointees, like the hack who ran the VA hospital. All the useless agency hacks are getting paid to stay home. All the registry hacks, all the DPH hacks. You are hurting the people that pay the salaries of all your hacks. You are hurting them and their families. Start acting like a leader.

7 minutes total. Done.
As a general rule of thumb, and this goes for almost everything, studies show that people have a tendency to discard extreme opinions. When the majority of people browse reviews on Amazon, the ones people weigh most heavily aren't the 1 star or 5 star ones, but the 2-4 star ones. Regardless of how you feel, if you want to get a point across to someone and actually make yourself heard (instead of just saying something so you can pat yourself on the back), it's best to temper your opinions and make it appear as though you're coming from a more moderate point of view, rather than one of the extremes.

I send him my best wishes and my hope for a 100% positive outcome.

I am fortunately employed with an essential occupation however I feel for the huge number of people who are getting hammered by this draconian shutdown, and the voices of the citizenry must be heard. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am not sure if even one state employee has been furloughed or let go, and for damn sure not every public sector job is essential.
Of course not. It's an election year. they need those votes. They're essential.

Here's a question, I've noticed on the places that have been lifting the restrictions and allowing some jobs to open....how does it work if only ten people at a time can be present in the office and you work for an accounting firm, retail store, federal or state office, etc? Just the essential personnel can be present?

Back
Top Bottom