MA shut down well into June???.....Wife’s work says so.

If the COVID-19 virus has not mutated in some material way, a vaccine would be highly effective. What I don't think anyone really knows yet is whether it is mutating in ways that could make a vaccine more like seasonal flu vaccines or more like the polio vaccine. It's an incredibly evil and clever bug (considering that it isn't even really "alive" in any common sense).
Yes they don't know how it will be but they sure are pushing the vaccine even though there are effective treatments for it already. We'll have to see how this goes but unfortunately I think big money is influencing what's going on.

Here's a question, I've noticed on the places that have been lifting the restrictions and allowing some jobs to open....how does it work if only ten people at a time can be present in the office and you work for an accounting firm, retail store, federal or state office, etc? Just the essential personnel can be present?

Yeah. I'm wondering, in an office building, how do you accomplish distancing in the elevator? Really, do you just let two people in at a time? How long would it take to get even the most highly essential people into the building at that rate? And where the hell is everyone going to wait when they're stretched out six feet apart?

Yes they don't know how it will be but they sure are pushing the vaccine even though there are effective treatments for it already. We'll have to see how this goes but unfortunately I think big money is influencing what's going on.

Ya think??? As Dennis asked earlier, cui bono? [wink]

??

I've read it's already mutated into 30 separate strains.

Ya, that’s normal apparently. Supposedly the approach they have been working on Cov-1/MERS involves some molecular target that is conserved between different strains.

If you read the stuff coming out from phizer and J&j they are piggybacking off that research. I guess we will see. Who knows. Hopefully we see a big treatment breakthrough, Remdesivir just doesn’t seem that good.
This thing hammers old, sick people and, rarely young health people.

Shit, the MSM (in the US) is crickets on:
Good, the pols need a little fear of consequences in the other direction.

SMH, at some protestors being allowed to enter after their temperatures were checked. It's amazing how many still know so little about this virus.

Ya, that’s normal apparently. Supposedly the approach they have been working on Cov-1/MERS involves some molecular target that is conserved between different strains.

If you read the stuff coming out from phizer and J&j they are piggybacking off that research. I guess we will see. Who knows. Hopefully we see a big treatment breakthrough, Remdesivir just doesn’t seem that good.
Yup. Half the deaths in Connecticut are in nursing homes.

Yup. Half the deaths in Connecticut are in nursing homes.

I heard the same stat for MA and it fits with what I’m seeing in the ICU. COVID just hammers older, sicker people. We are seeing elderly husbands and wives dying together in the same hospital room after it spread through their families.

But one of the really evil things about COVID-19 is that it kills in so many ways. Younger people are showing up with (and dying from) strokes caused by this virus, in surprising numbers, for example. It has emerged that it's got some serious clotting action. It's like something out of a movie.

But one of the really evil things about COVID-19 is that it kills in so many ways. Younger people are showing up with (and dying from) strokes caused by this virus, in surprising numbers, for example. It has emerged that it's got some serious clotting action. It's like something out of a movie.
I'm still not unconvinced the mechanism of disease is an attack on blood cells, and believe it would be worthwhile to surveil for elevated iron.

I'm still not unconvinced the mechanism of disease is an attack on blood cells, and believe it would be worthwhile to surveil for elevated iron.

Our ICU uses ferritin levels as part of the treatment algorithm.

I think the cytokine storm stuff is a big part of the picture and it might explain why we are seeing some healthy people that are profoundly hypoxic.

Still weird (but awesome) that it doesn’t go after kids. That’s been the silver lining for me. I’m very worried for my parents, but it’s nice to know my kids should be OK.

I really think the whole focus should be on protecting the elderly, while letting the rest of us get on with business with reasonable precautions.

Our ICU uses ferritin levels as part of the treatment algorithm.

I think the cytokine storm stuff is a big part of the picture and it might explain why we are seeing some healthy people that are profoundly hypoxic.

Still weird (but awesome) that it doesn’t go after kids. That’s been the silver lining for me. I’m very worried for my parents, but it’s nice to know my kids should be OK.

I really think the whole focus should be on protecting the elderly, while letting the rest of us get on with business with reasonable precautions.
Here's the age demo page from Connecticut's report yesterday:

CTDPHCOVID19summary5012020_Page_4.jpg

... I really think the whole focus should be on protecting the elderly and other "at risk" individuals, while letting the rest of us get on with business with reasonable precautions.

Agree. (and bolded is my add) I'm not convinced continuing the shutdown right into the election season (which is the real reason for the shutdowns) accomplishes this. Let's get back to work. Well, I'm getting used to the new commute, but y'all can go into the office.

I forgot to ask: what have the numbers been looking like? Normal? Above?

For ferritin? If it’s elevated then you consider biologics.

ICU numbers in general? Everyone dies, most are old, time on the vent is super long. New cases seem flat or declining (peak versus pause). It’s bad, but so is shutting down the whole country and ignoring other medical problems.

Masks seem to work well - I decontaminate my N95 my oven. As I’ve mentioned, I’ve intubated a lot of COVID+patients and my antibodies test cane back negative. Of course YMMV

For ferritin? If it’s elevated then you consider biologics.

ICU numbers in general? Everyone dies, most are old, time on the vent is super long. New cases seem flat or declining (peak versus pause). It’s bad, but so is shutting down the whole country and ignoring other medical problems.

Masks seem to work well - I decontaminate my N95 my oven. As I’ve mentioned, I’ve intubated a lot of COVID+patients and my antibodies test cane back negative. Of course YMMV
One more iron question: will it detect heme iron? If this thing is nuking blood cells by the billions and dumping heme iron in the bloodstream, will that show up in the ferritin numbers? Or do we need another test?

My only personal experience with weird numbers due to stuff being dumped in the bloodstream comes from my shucking fifty pounds years ago, when my guy said we're not even going to look at my lipids for awhile cuz they'll be off the charts.

Viruses don’t get vaccines, diseases do is the basic concept smarter people than me have told me.
I get a vaccine for the flu virus every year.

Yup, and we still don't have one for the common cold (also a coronavirus). Not hugely deadly, but universal, and costs the economy tremendously.

Then again, I'm still puzzled by the fact we have rabies vaccines for critters, but not people. EXTREMELY deadly, rabies, and NASTY. And a lot of humans have to deal with rabid critters, so they're exposed. Still no vaccine. Opposite of the common cold: rare, but you're done if you get it.
I'm not sure of the terminology, but what is the course of like 13 shots they give you in your back after you get bit by a rabid animal? I haven't heard much about all those people dying after their shots.

In my lifetime the vaccines for polio and smallpox were usually given once in a lifetime. Tetanus was given once but after 10 years a booster now and if you step on or cut yourself on something rusty you can get another shot. The flu is done yearly so it's really more of a shot than a vaccine. Also according to the CDC it's only about 40 to 60% effective unlike the polio and smallpox vaccines that are much more effective. A so called vaccine for covid will be more like the flu shot and not like the polio, smallpox vaccines.
Are these the shots we got in our arms as little kids in the 60's and 70's, that leaves that little hole in your arm?

The reason the seasonal flu shot is only 40-60% effective is that it's targeted at a group of viruses that are expected to be problematic, but that call has to be made well ahead of the flu season. Polio and smallpox vaccines are targeted at a single virus, which is why they're so much more effective.

If the COVID-19 virus has not mutated in some material way, a vaccine would be highly effective. What I don't think anyone really knows yet is whether it is mutating in ways that could make a vaccine more like seasonal flu vaccines or more like the polio vaccine. It's an incredibly evil and clever bug (considering that it isn't even really "alive" in any common sense).
So this is somewhere between the flu and polio shots? That sounds fine to me.

Good, the pols need a little fear of consequences in the other direction.

SMH, at some protestors being allowed to enter after their temperatures were checked. It's amazing how many still know so little about this virus.
My wife worked at a senior living facility as receptionist every other weekend. Last weekend, they wanted her to take temperatures and also act as security. No additional pay, and lots of additional risk. She hasn't had a raise after being there off and on over 10 years. She gave her notice this past Monday.

Here's the age demo page from Connecticut's report yesterday:

View attachment 353634
I'm right in the highest bar on that chart. I asked my doctor about my blood pressure medicine, and she said I'm best off staying on the medicine (Olmasartan and Amlodipine).

I'm right in the highest bar on that chart. I asked my doctor about my blood pressure medicine, and she said I'm best off staying on the medicine (Olmasartan and Amlodipine).
Valsartan and Amlodipine. Haven't touched either in weeks. Also asthma, allergies, and Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency. So I'm definitely High Risk.

I still will not stand idly by and watch these idiots destroy the country.

Are these the shots we got in our arms as little kids in the 60's and 70's, that leaves that little hole in your arm?
The smallpox was a bunch of little pin pricks if I remember correctly that left a little circle with little holes. I don't remember that I had a shot for polio. It was taken orally in elementary as far as I can remember.

The smallpox was a bunch of little pin pricks if I remember correctly that left a little circle with little holes. I don't remember that I had a shot for polio. It was taken orally in elementary as far as I can remember.
I missed the Smallpox. Yes, a circle, and it left a scar. Family just a bit older than me had one and have the scar, as do my parents. Polio was oral - tasted like mushrooms. IIRC they're back to an injection now.

I get a vaccine for the flu virus every year.

I'm not sure of the terminology, but what is the course of like 13 shots they give you in your back after you get bit by a rabid animal? I haven't heard much about all those people dying after their shots.

So this is somewhere between the flu and polio shots? That sounds fine to me.

My wife worked at a senior living facility as receptionist every other weekend. Last weekend, they wanted her to take temperatures and also act as security. No additional pay, and lots of additional risk. She hasn't had a raise after being there off and on over 10 years. She gave her notice this past Monday.

You don’t get a vaccine every year from the flu, you get a flu shot which is a treatment. Why would you get a vaccine every year doesn’t make any sense?..If there was a vaccine for the flu no one would get sick ever.

One more iron question: will it detect heme iron? If this thing is nuking blood cells by the billions and dumping heme iron in the bloodstream, will that show up in the ferritin numbers? Or do we need another test?

My only personal experience with weird numbers due to stuff being dumped in the bloodstream comes from my shucking fifty pounds years ago, when my guy said we're not even going to look at my lipids for awhile cuz they'll be off the charts.

We aren’t (from what I have seen) seeing dramatic anemia in these patients which would be an obviously sign of massive red blood destruction.

The elevated ferritin has to do with immune system activation and is linked to the cytokine storm theory related to COVID.

Back
Top Bottom