MA Shotgun laws regarding AWB

I'm curious what the regulations are for shotguns for MA. I know for a mag fed shotgun we are limited to the size of the mags. That's obvious but I'm curious if a shotgun with a pistolgrip would be an issue. It is not a Pre-ban shotgun. Also, if the pistolgrip isn't and the shotgun has a folding stock that was pinned would the gun be legal?

Thanks,
Pete

Pistol grips, by themselves, are fine. A PERMANENTLY FIXED folding stock no longer folds, which would then also be fine.

Remember, you need two "evil" features, plus the base criteria of autoloader w/detachable mags, to become an "assault shotgun." A Mossberg 590 has a bayonet lug, yet is not an "assault weapon" because it only has that one feature and is not an autoloader.

So then a Saiga12 mag fed shotgun with a pistol grip and fixed stock would be legal then? Thanks in advance.

pete

Pistol grips, by themselves, are fine. A PERMANENTLY FIXED folding stock no longer folds, which would then also be fine.

Remember, you need two "evil" features, plus the base criteria of autoloader w/detachable mags, to become an "assault shotgun." A Mossberg 590 has a bayonet lug, yet is not an "assault weapon" because it only has that one feature and is not an autoloader.

I believe semiauto shotguns with a fixed capacity (tubular magazine etc.) of more than 5 rounds + one evil feature = "assault shotgun" as well Scriv.

I have a question that kind of fallows along this path. You say folding stocks that are perminently fixed would be fine, is this an autoloader only thing? I ask as I have 2 pump shot guns, one with an AR style collapcable stock, and one with a top folding stock, both leagal where I am now, but am bringing them with me home to MA. Also, does anyone know the legality of fixing a bayonet to say a mossberg 590?

I have a question that kind of fallows along this path. You say folding stocks that are perminently fixed would be fine, is this an autoloader only thing? I ask as I have 2 pump shot guns, one with an AR style collapcable stock, and one with a top folding stock, both leagal where I am now, but am bringing them with me home to MA. Also, does anyone know the legality of fixing a bayonet to say a mossberg 590?

Pump actions don't have to follow the rules, only semi-auto weapons are defined as assault weapons.

that is what i thought, just wanted to make sure.

and just to double check, no problem with a bayonet on a 590?

So then a Saiga12 mag fed shotgun with a pistol grip and fixed stock would be legal then? Thanks in advance.

pete

IANAL and will not claim to understand the whole mess, but FWIW Saiga 12's have a threaded muzzle (Usually an "evil" feature). I don't know if this makes a difference, if it does I suppose you could always weld a break or thread protector onto it. Also lest we forget Saigas are also imports, and subject to the 922r parts count.

So does anyone know for sure if one can convert a Saiga semi auto shotgun with a pistol grip fixed stock with welded on muzzle brake?

Mac

No, you cannot. They were not imported until after the ban so there are no 'pre-bans', plus their importation in 'sporter' config would mean none were assembled in AWB-configuration anyways. The detachable magazine is it's evil feature (unlike rifle where it's the qualifier), so unless you find a way to permanently attach the magazine the pistol grip is a no-go.

No, you cannot. They were not imported until after the ban so there are no 'pre-bans', plus their importation in 'sporter' config would mean none were assembled in AWB-configuration anyways. The detachable magazine is it's evil feature (unlike rifle where it's the qualifier), so unless you find a way to permanently attach the magazine the pistol grip is a no-go.

Do you have a link to the law text? It seems 3 other people earlier in this thread thought it was legal as long as the 922r parts count was correct.

Thanks Mac

I think I know undertand that the Saiga with pistol grip would be Illegal in MA. Being a shotgun the *semi-auto* already counts as one evil feature (your allowed 2) which is why you can have a semi-auto shotgun in MA with a regular shoulder stock and an extended magazine tube but cannot have the extended magazine tube *AND* pistol grip.......it's one or the other. Since the Saiga already has the detachable magazine evil feature it therefore cannot have a pistol grip.

Make sense?

Last edited:
I think I know undertand that the Saiga with pistol grip would be Illegal in MA. Being a shotgun the *semi-auto* already counts as one evil feature (your allowed 2) which is why you can have a semi-auto shotgun in MA with a regular shoulder stock and an extended magazine tube but cannot have the extended magazine tube *AND* pistol grip.......it's one or the other. Since the Saiga already has the detachable magazine evil feature it therefore cannot have a pistol grip.

Make sense?

No, but then again it never did [laugh]

You are correct though.

Make sense?

Hate to nit-pick, but as a point of correction--you are allowed ONE evil feature. Being semi-automatic is the qualifier to be controlled under the ban; and the detachable magazine is the Saiga's ONE allowed feature.

Hate to nit-pick, but as a point of correction--you are allowed ONE evil feature. Being semi-automatic is the qualifier to be controlled under the ban; and the detachable magazine is the Saiga's ONE allowed feature.

This. This is why I'm baffled that people want pistol-gripped semi-auto shotguns in this state at all. If a pistol-grip is your evil feature, enjoy your 4-round non-detachable magazine.

Back
Top Bottom