• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Residents: Still Taking AR/AK to the Range?

Still taking AR/AK to the Range?

• YES

Votes: 260 74.5%
  • NO

Votes: 22 6.3%
  • Only in my BackYard

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • What AR/AK

Votes: 60 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..."
- George Washington, First Annual Address, to both House of Congress, January 8, 1790

I can't stay on target or disciplined if my firearm becomes a safe queen.
It is our duty.

Boats are far more dangerous.

i was out on the ocean in a little dingy with all my guns and a white whale tipped the boat over. I lost everything including my guns and a gps. If you find them, there is a reward.

That same white whale has been terrorizing law abiding gun owners up and down the east coast...something needs to be done.

LEO's need a reason to search someone's car. So, what was the reason given, does anyone know ? This all sounds more like fiction than fact. Once these stories get started they take on a life of their own. For years I have been seeing police cruisers park and drive by my gun club, but no police officer has ever bothered me. This includes Mass. Rifle Association , Harvard Gun club and I have been with my buddy many times at the Southborough gun club. Hey ! We can't jump every time we see a police officer.

Remember the officer ASKED and was refused and thus nothing happened. I learned a long time ago on that job, you can always ask anything you want. If the person volunteers to let you look, it is now a consensual search and perfectly legal. The fact that many don't have the cojones or knowledge to refuse politely makes most fishing expeditions easy prey for those LEOs into that sort of thing.

Keep in mind, PC is NOT required to ask a question, ever!!

LEO's need a reason to search someone's car. So, what was the reason given, does anyone know ? This all sounds more like fiction than fact.

They need probably cause to search without your consent, yes. But they don't need any cause simply to ask you. I know a lot of foolish people who would likely say "Sure, officer, I've I got nothing to hide!"

They need probably cause to search without your consent, yes. But they don't need any cause simply to ask you. I know a lot of foolish people who would likely say "Sure, officer, I've I got nothing to hide!"

Yes, but when they ask you they have to give a reason. Your telling me a cop is just going to walk up to your car and say, can I search your car ? That makes no sense at all. Now if the officer said, do you have any post ban hi cap magazines, and you said no. And he or she has reason to believe to that you do, then they he can ask to search your car. Even though that's a half assed reason, it's still a REASON.

Yes, but when they ask you they have to give a reason. Your telling me a cop is just going to walk up to your car and say, can I search your car ? That makes no sense at all. Now if the officer said, do you have any post ban hi cap magazines, and you said no. And he or she has reason to believe to that you do, then they he can ask to search your car. Even though that's a half assed reason, it's still a REASON.

WRONG!

Show me what law says that a cop MUST give you a reason to ASK you anything?

I'm waiting . . .

I can believe that a few clubs are fuddish enough to do exactly that.

I wondered the same myself , but in reality ,the true Fudd ratio is generally low .
Ya , you might have a few old farts on the board who are there because they have more time than anyone else.
Truth is, that the first one who pulls it will get Zumboed like the sky fell on them and a half a dozen to a dozen Fudds aren't going to be able to even keep the lights on at any club I know of by themselves.

I recall a local club that back in the 80's got taken over by a board full of yuppies.
They thought they could run out all the local rif raf and have a nice little yuppie exclusive club to themselves.
So they doubled the membership fee in one shot.
It backfired badly and well over half the members told them to go shit in their hat.
A couple of months later they sent out a notice that the dues were going back to normal and begging people to come back.

Boats are far more dangerous.

i was out on the ocean in a little dingy with all my guns and a white whale tipped the boat over. I lost everything including my guns and a gps. If you find them, there is a reward.

That same white whale has been terrorizing law abiding gun owners up and down the east coast...something needs to be done.

Call me Ishmael.
A problem of epidemic proportions on Cape Cod

Yes, but there are some clubs driven by factions that are "only into" (and support) skeet/trap/bullseye and thus change rules based on those prejudices accordingly. My first club did just that after the Westfield incident, prohibiting loading more than 6 (outdoors) and 5 (indoors) rounds in any handgun on the range (this and the reason was explained to me personally by the club president, a trap shooter only). A more recent ruling I was told by a club member (I left there many years ago) is that if you shoot your carry gun you are prohibited from reloading and reholstering it on the property! I can see them knee-jerking to the AG BS!

When I was a member at Reading R & R from 1982 to 1991 the rule was 5 in or outdoors for pistol and single shot only for rifles, except during military matches. I remember the machinations the rifle shooters went through to shoot AR's. Not sure if those rules are still in place today, but back then I questioned why anyone would want to own an RR type rifle. Fortunately my thinking evolved.

If you are stopped and you don't like the way the stop is going, politely ask the officer for a Supervisor to come to the scene.
You are more likely to get someone that knows the law and wont violate your rights.

I do not carry paper work (bill of sale) for my guns....If they want to know when I bought it , they can look it up and see when it was put in my name...PERIOD

This is nothing more than tin foil BS. If your afraid to shoot your legally own AR's and AK's , then sell them. This way you won't have to look over your shoulder every time you go out.

How has this post not been locked yet?! I started one a while back asking if we could still shoot them, not even asking people to answer whether they are or not, and got flamed and the thread was locked within a day or so if my memory serves me. Doesn't someone asking this question on the forum strike anyone's suspicion? Goddamn can one on the admins please lock this thread?

How has this post not been locked yet?! I started one a while back asking if we could still shoot them, not even asking people to answer whether they are or not, and got flamed and the thread was locked within a day or so if my memory serves me. Doesn't someone asking this question on the forum strike anyone's suspicion? Goddamn can one on the admins please lock this thread?

Im going to gander that this thread is not a CAN WE STILL SHOOT THEM its a Do or are you still going to shoot your AGs proclaimed AWs ? As of now I have not heard anything from the AG with regards to a directive to LEO to not arrest any MA Valid license holder who has her definition of a AW in possession?
the post need not be locked and if you think clubs are not getting restrictive on what we can/when/where and at what look around. Some have been restricted for many years.
FUDDism is a disease often it cant be stopped it creeps in and destroys!

side note there where 2 old club members standing out side the club house yelling at each other over the gun fire..... one of them says " geezus Christ don't they ever take a break. I thought they only supposed to shoot 22s"

- - - Updated - - -

I'm shocked at the level of underwear-twisting over this whole issue.

Guys....you are not the criminals here, if anyone is a criminal, it is the AG. Stop feeling guilty for being a lafwul gun owner

True but im sure some us will be treated as such

Shot mine today.
Carbine with red dot.
Mama was killing balloons at 50 yards and the boy and I were pinging steel at 100.
Pieces of balloon on the ground , dents in steel, oh the horror , oh the humanity.
Slap the cuffs on me , I'm a horrible person.

Took mine out last Friday with a new 3x Vortex Spitfire. Had a blast. Need to get the AR out more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thread should be renamed, MA Residents who are afraid of exercising constitutional rights are cowards.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

With all the blatant AR/AK posts popping in the FS forum, I'm sure it would be easier to find rebel rousers there than at the local range!

That said, I took the extra step of photocopying FA-10s for the AG-unfriendly rifles I tend to bring to the range. Why? Because I'm more informed than someone who might ask questions, and proof of registration prior to this summer eliminates the need to defend my interpretation of an interpretation of a law that seems to be fluid at best! "This? I bought it three years ago, and here's proof."

I follow the same philosophy with magazines. AK? 7.62 are from China, banned from import almost 30 years ago. 5.45? East German, because East Germany only existed until 1990. AR? I pencil in a few words on the floor plates of the ones I bring to the range. "External date", "Internal date", "Manufacturer out of business before 1993". Again, I'm proving that I know the law and follow the law.

With all the blatant AR/AK posts popping in the FS forum, I'm sure it would be easier to find rebel rousers there than at the local range!

That said, I took the extra step of photocopying FA-10s for the AG-unfriendly rifles I tend to bring to the range. Why? Because I'm more informed than someone who might ask questions, and proof of registration prior to this summer eliminates the need to defend my interpretation of an interpretation of a law that seems to be fluid at best! "This? I bought it three years ago, and here's proof."

I follow the same philosophy with magazines. AK? 7.62 are from China, banned from import almost 30 years ago. 5.45? East German, because East Germany only existed until 1990. AR? I pencil in a few words on the floor plates of the ones I bring to the range. "External date", "Internal date", "Manufacturer out of business before 1993". Again, I'm proving that I know the law and follow the law.

WOW, just WOW!

The chances of anything happening? Zero. The chances of your preparedness saving you in the moment should something happen? Same answer.

Back
Top Bottom