• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Residents: Still Taking AR/AK to the Range?

Still taking AR/AK to the Range?

• YES

Votes: 260 74.5%
  • NO

Votes: 22 6.3%
  • Only in my BackYard

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • What AR/AK

Votes: 60 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Out of curiosity, has anyone heard/seen/experienced anything like that story out of Cape Ann where the LEO was near the entrance of the club asking to search the guy's vehicle right after 7/20? If I recall, the club confirmed it.

it has happened at other places - only observing though...

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard/seen/experienced anything like that story out of Cape Ann where the LEO was near the entrance of the club asking to search the guy's vehicle right after 7/20? If I recall, the club confirmed it.
[rofl] Do you have a warrant? NO, ok then NO

[rofl] Do you have a warrant? NO, ok then NO

My interest/question is not "what you should say or do" and/or legality, it's more wanting to know if any other LEOs are semi-actively looking to jam people up. If memory serves, the situation on Cape Ann ended up being a "this is private property" scenario when calling the department. But, out of curiosity, what if the LEO is a club member? Or on the firing line? I'd like to think such a thing wouldn't happen, but was curious if anyone had seen/heard.

Do you have real evidence that this really happened or is this just another tin foil hat story ?[tinfoil]

The Cape Ann one seems to definitely have happened. I think we would need more details from the other poster who implied it's happened elsewhere.

I can believe that a few clubs are faddish enough to do exactly that.

will just take a letter from AG ....... just like the vendors letter.

- - - Updated - - -

My interest/question is not "what you should say or do" and/or legality, it's more wanting to know if any other LEOs are semi-actively looking to jam people up. If memory serves, the situation on Cape Ann ended up being a "this is private property" scenario when calling the department. But, out of curiosity, what if the LEO is a club member? Or on the firing line? I'd like to think such a thing wouldn't happen, but was curious if anyone had seen/heard.

The Cape Ann one seems to definitely have happened. I think we would need more details from the other poster who implied it's happened elsewhere.

in the past I have had overly curious club members asking about my Magazines.....

Now up to 15 "NO's". Who are you, and why don't you plan to shoot your ARs and/or AKs?

Can someone give me the cliffs notes version of what happened at Cape Ann? i searched, and only found mention of it in the 5900+ post Healey thread. Not about to go searching through that...

Now up to 15 "NO's". Who are you, and why don't you plan to shoot your ARs and/or AKs?

Can someone give me the cliffs notes version of what happened at Cape Ann? i searched, and only found mention of it in the 5900+ post Healey thread. Not about to go searching through that...

As I understand it, a LEO was at/near the gate and asked one or more people approaching the club's entrance if he could search their car, I think it was the first weekend after 7/20. The person who reported the event declined the search, entered the club's grounds and called the BOD or someone similar, who called the PD. I don't remember exactly, but they reminded the PD it was private property and they left. As I recall, the club did confirm it took place.

So, it could have been nothing to do with AWs, but the timing was deemed suspect and it generated some discussion, as many things on NES do.

As I understand it, a LEO was at/near the gate and asked one or more people approaching the club's entrance if he could search their car, I think it was the first weekend after 7/20. The person who reported the event declined the search, entered the club's grounds and called the BOD or someone similar, who called the PD. I don't remember exactly, but they reminded the PD it was private property and they left. As I recall, the club did confirm it took place.

So, it could have been nothing to do with AWs, but the timing was deemed suspect and it generated some discussion, as many things on NES do.

Thanks. I'd love to hear the PD's version of what they did and why. What possible grounds could they have for such grievous violations?

Thanks. I'd love to hear the PD's version of what they did and why. What possible grounds could they have for such grievous violations?

I agree. Preaching to the choir. I didn't vote "no." I'm just curious if other than this one incident (which seems to have happened, but could have been non-AW related) anyone had experienced other incidents.

will just take a letter from AG ....... just like the vendors letter.

in the past I have had overly curious club members asking about my Magazines.....

If my club did that I would quit that club.

The fact that we're even having these conversations about going to the range or clubs banning certain rifles plays directly into the AG's agenda: Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

Yes, but there are some clubs driven by factions that are "only into" (and support) skeet/trap/bullseye and thus change rules based on those prejudices accordingly. My first club did just that after the Westfield incident, prohibiting loading more than 6 (outdoors) and 5 (indoors) rounds in any handgun on the range (this and the reason was explained to me personally by the club president, a trap shooter only). A more recent ruling I was told by a club member (I left there many years ago) is that if you shoot your carry gun you are prohibited from reloading and reholstering it on the property! I can see them knee-jerking to the AG BS!

I've heard rumors of folks being approached on ranges about mags over the years. I'd tell those busybodies to buzz off and if they are persistent, report them to club officers.

FUD is what this whole issue is about. I'm convinced that the AG really doesn't want to prosecute, she just wants to snuff out sales/dealers and ownership of guns due to the persistent fear of what she might do.

Absolutely. Taking my wife and middle daughter this weekend. We'll be bringing AR's and Ak74's (along with my daughter's newly scoped 10/22).

Chris

FUD is what this whole issue is about. I'm convinced that the AG really doesn't want to prosecute, she just wants to snuff out sales/dealers and ownership of guns due to the persistent fear of what she might do.

You may be right but what if the cop that pulls you over gets a hard on about the AR and arrests you. The AG's intent doesn't really matter at that point. Illegal AW (in his eyes based on AG interpretation) and charges are filed.

And even if you don't consent to the search what happens when Mr LEO says "any weapons in the car?" during the traffic stop on the way to the range. You can't (well shouldn't) say no. So the next question is "what kind and where are they?". I suspect if you answer am I being detailed, am I free to go or I am not telling you and I do not consent to a search your getting searched since you have stated you have weapons and Mr LEO now has what he believes is probable cause and searches your car anyway. Am I wrong?

Oh and yes, I will continue taking mine to the range.

You may be right but what if the cop that pulls you over gets a hard on about the AR and arrests you. The AG's intent doesn't really matter at that point. Illegal AW (in his eyes based on AG interpretation) and charges are filed.

And even if you don't consent to the search what happens when Mr LEO says "any weapons in the car?" during the traffic stop on the way to the range. You can't (well shouldn't) say no. So the next question is "what kind and where are they?". I suspect if you answer am I being detailed, am I free to go or I am not telling you and I do not consent to a search your getting searched since you have stated you have weapons and Mr LEO now has what he believes is probable cause and searches your car anyway. Am I wrong?

Oh and yes, I will continue taking mine to the range.

A cop can do ANYTHING he/she wants to do! Is it legal or not? That is another question to be hashed out in court (civilly or criminally). There are cops out there that believe that all ARs are illegal, that all >10 rd mags are illegal . . . and this was well before 7/20/16. You will NEVER win a legal battle on the side of the road.

Standing up for your rights does not come without risk of being persecuted. If the cop is fishing and knows the law, "I do not consent to a search" will end the BS, if he's ignorant all bets are off and he'll probably lie in court too. Past case law makes it perfectly clear to the educated that possession of firearms with a LTC is NOT PC for a search!!

LEO's need a reason to search someone's car. So, what was the reason given, does anyone know ? This all sounds more like fiction than fact. Once these stories get started they take on a life of their own. For years I have been seeing police cruisers park and drive by my gun club, but no police officer has ever bothered me. This includes Mass. Rifle Association , Harvard Gun club and I have been with my buddy many times at the Southborough gun club. Hey ! We can't jump every time we see a police officer.

Back
Top Bottom