• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Resident Purchasing Shotgun In PA

EzGoingKev

NES Member
I tried googling it but did not come up with any answers.

A buddy of mine in PA wants to buy a Benelli M4. He knows I want one too. He wants to see if he can get a deal if we buy two together.

I have a MA Class A LTC with high capacity. I know I can go to NH, ME, and some other states, buy the gun directly from the FFL, and do an EFA-10 once I bring it into MA.

Does anyone know if I can do the same in PA or does everything need to done through an FFL?

I have ordered multiple shotguns from Joel Etchen guns and had them shipped to a MA ffl for transfer. And don’t worry Maura, I’ll pay the use tax on them, since I didn’t pay sales tax on thousands of dollars of shotguns, really I will.

can purchase shotgun in other state so long as legal to possess in state of residence. However having dropped by a few PA FFLs, they are accustomed to dealing with NY and NJ residents. In other words most PA FFLs are really hesitant to make sales directly to ban state residents. The MA AWB is a black box to them. I’ve seen them spend a while digging through an ATF book to determine if a bolt action was kosher.

Your easiest option is to make your purchase and have it shipped to a MA FFL. Would also save the hassle of traveling to/from PA. Sales tax may or may not be collected by the seller But if you buy in PA then will definitely pay PA sales tax. Whatever you buy just be sure the MA FFL is cool w transferring it, as the Out of state FFL (ie seller) doesn’t matter at all.

can purchase shotgun in other state so long as legal to possess in state of residence. However having dropped by a few PA FFLs, they are accustomed to dealing with NY and NJ residents. In other words most PA FFLs are really hesitant to make sales directly to ban state residents. The MA AWB is a black box to them. I’ve seen them spend a while digging through an ATF book to determine if a bolt action was kosher.

Your easiest option is to make your purchase and have it shipped to a MA FFL. Would also save the hassle of traveling to/from PA. Sales tax may or may not be collected by the seller But if you buy in PA then will definitely pay PA sales tax. Whatever you buy just be sure the MA FFL is cool w transferring it, as the Out of state FFL (ie seller) doesn’t matter at all.
Don't have it shipped to HF in Tyngsboro. [smile]

A buddy of mine in PA wants to buy a Benelli M4. He knows I want one too. He wants to see if he can get a deal if we buy two together.

I have a MA Class A LTC with high capacity. I know I can go to NH, ME, and some other states, buy the gun directly from the FFL, and do an EFA-10 once I bring it into MA.

Does anyone know if I can do the same in PA or does everything need to done through an FFL?

Protip: buying two of something isn't usually going to get you shit, maybe another couple points.

The thing you are asking to do, with a dealer you don't know- that dealer is going to shut you guys
down anyways. It has "straw purchase glue fumes" written all over it, even if it's not. Your second sentence will give most
dealers an aneurysm. Unless your buddy is already tight with a dealer there and can work that all out ahead of time, then
he would also know whether or not there would be a problem.

Ah... I have a question!!!!

Are you each buying a shotgun and dealing with the ffl in PA on your own or is your buddy buying two shotguns and your going to give him the money for one of them And hell bring it to you?

Now if your using option one it's legal......but I find it hard to believe your going to save enough money to justify gas and tolls to drive to and from PA to go to that ffl and buy that model shotgun. If your using option 2 just remember......in jail dont ever drop the soap In the shower.

There is a 3rd option of having the pa ffl ship to a ma ffl and I still find it hard to believe the savings will be worth the added costs.

Are you each buying a shotgun and dealing with the ffl in PA on your own or is your buddy buying two shotguns and your going to give him the money for one of them And hell bring it to you?

Now if your using option one it's legal......but I find it hard to believe your going to save enough money to justify gas and tolls to drive to and from PA to go to that ffl and buy that model shotgun. If your using option 2 just remember......in jail dont ever drop the soap In the shower.

There is a 3rd option of having the pa ffl ship to a ma ffl and I still find it hard to believe the savings will be worth the added costs.
^^^ Exactly what I was thinking....

We just did that. My older daughter, little Jill got the customized 10/22 that she always wanted from an Alabama gun dealer that I did business with for many years. No worries. The only paperwork that we filled out was the Fed form and the NICS check. Excellent rifle. Heavy stainless barrel. Tack-driving accuracy. She earned it! We combined the purchase with a visit to family in Louisiana and Alabama. Use the FA10 process at your own risk. We always decline, especially in today's anti-gun sentiment in MA.

You're really not going to get a discount by buying two shotguns. Twelve? Twenty? Ok, then yes. If you were buying from an online vendor, you might save on shipping because it'd be one "shipment" rather than two. Even still, though, would an online shop even ship two guns as one package? Especially something "off the shelf" like a Benelli M4. This isn't like a brace of flintlock pistols or a skeet set.

You two would be better off just going to a big gun store together, like say KTP or the PA equivalent, and just each buy one there. No straw buyer issues.

if OP rides a bus to buy his shotty in PA, this thread needs to made sticky with lots of pics. I will buy the bus ticket just for the entertainment.

Are interstate buses even running? Even if they are, I wouldn't get on one since they'd be full of ANTIFA members being shipped to "peaceful" protests.

if OP rides a bus to buy his shotty in PA, this thread needs to made sticky with lots of pics. I will buy the bus ticket just for the entertainment.
As long as that bus doesn't stop in New Jersey.

We just did that. My older daughter, little Jill got the customized 10/22 that she always wanted from an Alabama gun dealer that I did business with for many years. No worries. The only paperwork that we filled out was the Fed form and the NICS check. Excellent rifle. Heavy stainless barrel. Tack-driving accuracy. She earned it! We combined the purchase with a visit to family in Louisiana and Alabama. Use the FA10 process at your own risk. We always decline, especially in today's anti-gun sentiment in MA.
are you saying the FA10 process is optional when purchased out of state?

are you saying the FA10 process is optional when purchased out of state?
No. He's saying it's his choice not to because he feels mass is gonna confiscate and he's purposefully disobeying the law. His choice is to take chances on getting pinched for the efa10 violation vs getting his guns confiscated. As to why he posts about his actions on a publicaly monitored forum only he can speak to that stupidity. 🙄. We've been around this merry-go-round before ... I get why some would make that choice but why post about it online? Seems to defeat the purpose of not doing the efa10 right? Especially the model gun details and all. He's even posted personally identifying info on here before.....like his membership in white supremacists organizations, his characterization of discharge from the usmc (it was not an honorable one and can only have and fid card because of it) and other shit.

Law states you have 7 days to do the efa10 from when a new purchased gun comes into mass and it's not optional.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound worth the hassle, easier to order one online and ship in, probably cheaper too since those places specialize in shipping.

I think there's a variable here we're not accounting for. If this is the kind of buddy that OP is likely to visit often, then the gas and tools are already a sunk cost. At that point, if they can swing a real deal at the FFL, it's worth it. But that's kind of a big if.

Well that all depends on your level of caring.
Ask the former owners of semiautomatic rifles and shotguns in NYC. All registered owners received certified letters from NYPD, listing by make, model and serial numbers, all of their weapons that had to be surrendered immediately. Those who did not surrender them got visited at home or at work by heavily armed NYPD cops. If Whacko and others do not think it can happen here, they are sadly mistaken.

Ask the former owners of semiautomatic rifles and shotguns in NYC. All registered owners received certified letters from NYPD, listing by make, model and serial numbers, all of their weapons that had to be surrendered immediately. Those who did not surrender them got visited at home or at work by heavily armed NYPD cops. If Whacko and others do not think it can happen here, they are sadly mistaken.
Thus my point. Now if the .gov manages to scan all the 4473's that's different.

Back
Top Bottom