MA Resident Orders Preban and Sends to NH FFL for Compliance?

I hate bringing this topic up as its been beaten to death, but I couldn't find a thread that dealt with this specific circumstance, so:

Is it good to go for a MA resident to directly place an order/buy a preban style AR from a manufacturer and then have it shipped to a state like say NH, for the compliance work before taking actual ownership and having it transferred back to MA?

I've seen threads that dealt with just uppers or mentioned having the out of state dealer order directly. The problem is I've been waiting for quite some time and don't want to restart the process (Larue, in case you were wondering). Also, I know the manufacturer can do the MA compliance, but they have limited options on the brake/stock. Would prefer to have it done how I want if I'm shelling out that much coin.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Interesting, did not know that. I'd be curious how many places would even ship a non-compliant rifle to a ban state, even with the understanding the local FFL will do the compliance.

Whether or not a manufacturer wants to ship something to an MA FFL is their decision - only the MA FFL is responsible for making sure that the rifle is compliant and transferred in accordance with MA law. If you decide to have it shipped to NH, since it is a rifle you can do the 4473 there and just FA-10 the rifle when you get back to MA, all after the FFL does the MA crippling.

Interesting, did not know that. I'd be curious how many places would even ship a non-compliant rifle to a ban state, even with the understanding the local FFL will do the compliance.

many. they honestly shouldn't care as long as they get paid.

some out of state FFL's do a good deal of sales into MA, so they are aware it's kosher to send a non-legal rifle to a MA FFL. other out of staters don't seem to understand this. personally i would avoid the latter ones.

many of the gunsmiths in MA do this type of work routinely....personally I've used 1776 in Walpole and as per usual they do fantastic work.

Is it good to go for a MA resident to directly place an order/buy a preban style AR from a manufacturer and then have it shipped to a state like say NH, for the compliance work before taking actual ownership and having it transferred back to MA?

If you are going to order it anyway, why not just order it a post ban configuration? Many mfgs offer them that way just for the 10 or so states that require it that way. If you can't find a post ban that you like, just build one exactly like you want.

It's not so much the stock, as the fact there's a limited muzzle brake selection, so if I go with a default then its permanently pinned and not what I want. I really like battle comp style brakes that aren't as harsh to nearby shooters, especially since it's a .308.

You're absolutely right - I could build. I've done that for regular AR-15s but prefer not to for the 308

Am I reading this right, you want to buy a pre ban AR which is legal in MA and turn it into a post ban compliant rifle?

You're absolutely right - I could build. I've done that for regular AR-15s but prefer not to for the 308

I had built a .308 AR before (and ended up selling it, in a semi-auto .308 I like my M1A SOCOM 16 w/Ultimak rail better), and you have to be more careful about part selection than with a regular AR15. There isn't a milspec to follow, and there's at least two competing platforms (Armalite AR-10 vs SR25/DPMS pattern, perhaps others).

I actually had to get an AR-10 magazine catch because the DPMS one wouldn't hold on to the magazine very tightly - could just yank it out. The AR-10 one has just a little more engagement and held onto it solid.

I bought a non-mass compliant AR10. FFL ordered is through his vendor. I bought and paid for it and filled out all the paperwork. He kept it a few more days and made it mass complaint and added a few other things I wanted to customize it a bit. He said he could buy it but he couldn't transfer it to me until all the evil components were gone/made compliant. Even came with a 20 round mag he had to send back and he gave me 2 10's instead. I love the rifle but it looks ugly with 10 rounders. Sure wish I could get a 20 rounder for it. Oh well, when I move away in 8 or so years. Until then I will just dream...lmao.

I got that several months ago and just talked to them to order another gun. The kid I spoke to remembered me and the rifle. It's not the greatest AR10 in the world but it was looking pretty impressive the day I picked it up. But sadly, it had to be neutered before I could have it.

But you can do that in Mass. No need to go to NH. Order it and pay for it this weekend and save the tax.

To get away from the 20 rnd issue and get it mostly in the pre-ban config I'd look at Rock River Arms' LAR-8. It's their 308 platform and is made to accept pre-ban FAL mags. The mags are cheap and they have a ton of configurations to choose from.

why would you reconfigure a preban AR? have fun with it

Edit:nevermind, reread and got what you meant

To get away from the 20 rnd issue and get it mostly in the pre-ban config I'd look at Rock River Arms' LAR-8. It's their 308 platform and is made to accept pre-ban FAL mags. The mags are cheap and they have a ton of configurations to choose from.

How well does it work? The last hybrid sort of AR like that I tried was a 308 AR (not the one I mentioned above) that took G3 mags and it never worked properly.

Back
Top Bottom