MA legal AR pistol build may have just got a little easier

Boris, is that plastic?

it's plastic and it's fabulous, don't be hatin'

fg_01.jpg~original

My friend has one and 500 556 rounds later it's still going strong

fg_02.jpg~original

Boris,
Would you ever consider having a mold making party? Where we could make a mold and then maybe drink some Wodka,
Then when the mold is dry, we could cast our first fruity lower?

re longevity - I'm wondering how much stronger it would be if fiberglass chop was added to the resin before casting.

Don

Question, did you do any of these with the steel reinforced pin holes like in your arfcom pics? If so, how did you embed that in the middle of the mold so that the holes would line up correctly?

In the mold everything is reversed, so a void (like a hole) is actually rubber, it's a rubber peg onto which you hang the reinforcement.

fg6_07.jpg~original

fg7_05.jpg~original

for the FCG I use boxed unit. After a few hundred rounds the pin holes will egg.

Sorry, I asked that before I finished the 14 pages over at arfcom. In theory, the best place for the reinforcement is stuck in the middle of the plastic, no exposure. I've got some idea's and will definitely be trying this out. If you have an extra reinforcement laying around please let me know. I want to clay the exterior of the lower to ad thickness around the of the takedown whole, like a 308. This will add material to the weak point and also allow me to float plastic on both sides of the reinforcement so no metal is visible. I'm ordering my supplies today.

Boris,
Would you ever consider having a mold making party? Where we could make a mold and then maybe drink some Wodka,
Then when the mold is dry, we could cast our first fruity lower?

re longevity - I'm wondering how much stronger it would be if fiberglass chop was added to the resin before casting.

Don

Robot_e9fb44_448278.gif

I'm down with Freedom!

We need a place (like a kitchen table or living room) and need to figure out logistics. Rubber takes 6h to cure, but after an hour or so, it's hard enough to take home. The cutting of the mold is probably more complicated part. If we can try do this in metrowest or close to it, few people, may be weeknight or two weeknights for mold pour and cut. I can bring some of my shit to show.

Sorry, I asked that before I finished the 14 pages over at arfcom. In theory, the best place for the reinforcement is stuck in the middle of the plastic, no exposure. I've got some idea's and will definitely be trying this out. If you have an extra reinforcement laying around please let me know. I want to clay the exterior of the lower to ad thickness around the of the takedown whole, like a 308. This will add material to the weak point and also allow me to float plastic on both sides of the reinforcement so no metal is visible. I'm ordering my supplies today.

There is Raynolds Advanced Materials on Electric Ave in Brighton. They have entire line of Smoothon at the same prices as Internet, plus you can talk to people and handle samples of various plastics.

Also, most of the reinforcement isn't visible, there are just some parts coming to the surface. Here is an opaque example.

fg6_11.jpg~original

I like your fancy buffer tube reinforcement . How do you form that?

Just pliers over a pipe. I have same design but three parts now, just to save on metal.

Last edited:
If you do a party etc I'll need to come .
I need a lower I can cut the buffer tower off and use clay to shape a bullpup idea I have to make a mold . Just been too cheap and lazy to buy a 80%.

Moving not that bad. My view a ar pistol is pointless cause of the buffer tube.
I'd rather have a sbr then a pistol ar.
That said I wouldn't mind a pistol Ak.

But that barrel is so thin that I would worry about heat dissipation and barrel life.

If you do a party etc I'll need to come .
I need a lower I can cut the buffer tower off and use clay to shape a bullpup idea I have to make a mold . Just been too cheap and lazy to buy a 80%.

Google around.
You might be able to find torch cut/demilled M16 receivers...

n4lT5mF.jpg

What do you mean? It's DIY, I made a mold to make these.

fg_26.jpg~original

Can you confirm this rumor
Is it really true that you came up with the formula for this plastic while experimenting with latex for new shop uniforms for your Comrades?[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom