MA Handgun prices......

Are Handguns selling in MA at inflated prices? I see them all the time in the classifieds for what i can Buy a new one here in Maine. There is a Kimber on there now for $1300.00 the MSRP is around $1150.00 and i can order one for under $1000.00.

Is the state of MA adding a tax to firearms? Or maybe the distributors are charging more to deal with selling to MA shops.

The short answer is yes. Non Ma compliant handguns are more expensive in Ma because we can't buy them from dealers. We can only buy them from a private party.

Same question I ask myself anytime I see a Glock for sale in MA, especially a 3rd generation one.

MSRP is what 550 bucks new?
I'm not knocking anyone's classified ad, but I am always floored the prices a Glock commands in MA

Same question I ask myself anytime I see a Glock for sale in MA, especially a 3rd generation one.

MSRP is what 550 bucks new?
I'm not knocking anyone's classified ad, but I am always floored the prices a Glock commands in MA

That's why a lot of people, including me, refuse to buy them.

That's why a lot of people, including me, refuse to buy them.

Glocks are great guns, but the inability of a MA resident to obtain service that involved frame replacement by the factory is a big drawback.

I think you'll find that prices on guns that are not embargoed from entry into MA are fairly consistent with what people in the free world pay.

Is the state of MA adding a tax to firearms? Or maybe the distributors are charging more to deal with selling to MA shops.

MA Handgun Compliance regs cause artificial price inflation to some degree or another. The problem lies in the fact that dealers generally can only sell or transfer a certain subset of handguns. This limits the amount of external influences on the market.

For guns that are readily available here, the prices are typically no different than they are anywhere else. (eg, for example, S+W revolvers, Paras, etc... )

If you want to know the "mechanicals" of these regulations, look at this thread.... Frankly if you're not in MA I wouldn't bother. The bottom line is that handgun prices in MA
are a direct product of the communism in this state.... well that, and those people that PT barnum was talking about. [laugh]

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37553

-Mike

Last edited:
I'll buy any Glock that comes my way for 400 bucks no problem

I just got a second generation G22 for 400, from a NES'r that I know is SUPER picky about how he treats his guns.

When he listed it is was a little more than I wanted to pay, mostly because I just did an AR lower to the tune of 300 bucks the week before, there IS a limit as to how much money I can spend on this hobby every month!

The second he dropped the price to 400 bucks I grabbed it. I was offered a G26 in the 450 price point, but between the AR and the G22, I'm kinda tapped in the gun hobby fund, but if it was 400 dollars I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat.

Now I'm in NH, and the pricing is totally different here, and I understand in MA it is demand vs lack of supply, but outside of the high cap pre ban mags, what makes a Glock in 9 or 40, full or compact, worth more than a M&P polymer pistol that you can have the trigger action fixed to free state specs for under a C note?

I bought a M&P40c over the summer, and I am quite happy with it, granted it's a 49 state model, but I think I paid in the 400 dollar range for it from another NES'r , and that's a fair price IMHO in an open market.

Glocks are great guns, but the inability of a MA resident to obtain service that involved frame replacement by the factory is a big drawback.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think it's that big of a drawback, considering that most guns (glocks or otherwise) will never need a frame replacement.

Course now Derek is going to come along and post that glock nuclear bomb pic. [grin]

-Mike

Now I'm in NH, and the pricing is totally different here, and I understand in MA it is demand vs lack of supply, but outside of the high cap pre ban mags, what makes a Glock in 9 or 40, full or compact, worth more than a M&P polymer pistol that you can have the trigger action fixed to free state specs for under a C note?.

1. Cripplemags suck.

2. Refer to rule #1.

2a. You don't get it. They really suck. . I f****ing hate them. I LOATHE them. I own one pistol that has them, and it's almost one too many. )

3. M+P's in .357 Sig are relatively hard to come by, or so it seems. (I realize I drifted a bit from your question here, so this sort of doesn't count. )

4. Glocks have better holster selection and aftermarket support.

5. Glock parts are FAR easier to come by. If I want a recoil spring I don't have to call the factory, I just go to any store that has a Glock armorer on staff and I get the part. Done.

6. The M+P has no analog to the G19/23, or the 26/27. There is no M+P in the same size/capacity class as these. The compact is too large to compete with the 26/27. All the M+Ps are too fat in the slide to compete with them, as well.

The M+P has better ergonomics, granted, but that's going to depend on the shooter. For some people the M+P will point better, others the Glock will, depending on hand size, etc. I think the M+P will probably suit a wider variety of shooters better than the Glock will.... but I still have no interest in an M+P in anything other than .45 because of all the above.

-Mike

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but I don't think it's that big of a drawback, considering that most guns (glocks or otherwise) will never need a frame replacement.

Course now Derek is going to come along and post that glock nuclear bomb pic. [grin]

-Mike

I have seen a few Glocks for sale on here that for one reason or another had replacement frames from Glock. Glock will replace the frame with a Gen 2 or 2.5 frame no problem, they won't upgrade any frame into a Gen3 frame. I don't know if you had a former LEO Gen3 gun that needed a frame replacement how they would handle it. Outside of the rail for a tac light/tac light/laser combo is there really that much of a difference in the gen 2/2.5 and Gen3 frames. The finger grooves in the grip are not anything special IMHO.

1. Cripplemags suck.

2. Refer to rule #1.

2a. You don't get it. They really suck. . I f****ing hate them. I LOATHE them. I own one pistol that has them, and it's almost one too many. )

3. M+P's in .357 Sig are relatively hard to come by, or so it seems. (I realize I drifted a bit from your question here, so this sort of doesn't count. )

4. Glocks have better holster selection and aftermarket support.

5. Glock parts are FAR easier to come by. If I want a recoil spring I don't have to call the factory, I just go to any store that has a Glock armorer on staff and I get the part. Done.

6. The M+P has no analog to the G19/23, or the 26/27. There is no M+P in the same size/capacity class as these. The compact is too large to compete with the 26/27. All the M+Ps are too fat in the slide to compete with them, as well.

The M+P has better ergonomics, granted, but that's going to depend on the shooter. For some people the M+P will point better, others the Glock will, depending on hand size, etc. I think the M+P will probably suit a wider variety of shooters better than the Glock will.... but I still have no interest in an M+P in anything other than .45 because of all the above.

-Mike

All very good points

I'll buy any Glock that comes my way for 400 bucks no problem
What makes a Glock in 9 or 40, full or compact, worth more than a M&P polymer pistol that you can have the trigger action fixed to free state specs for under a C note?

I bought a M&P40c over the summer, and I am quite happy with it, granted it's a 49 state model, but I think I paid in the 400 dollar range for it from another NES'r , and that's a fair price IMHO in an open market.

Exactly my thoughts too, a trigger job does wonders on an M&P and why pay $700 or more for a used gun that is at least 10 years old that costs $550-600brand new now. I have a friend that sold all of his never fired 3rd generation glocks for 7-900 each and of course a 100% profit when all was averaged out. This reminds me of what P.T Barnum once said!!

Exactly my thoughts too, a trigger job does wonders on an M&P and why pay $700 or more for a used gun that is at least 10 years old that costs $550-600brand new now. I have a friend that sold all of his never fired 3rd generation glocks for 7-900 each and of course a 100% profit when all was averaged out. This reminds me of what P.T Barnum once said!!

DGrant made some valid points in his post, but eventually as the M&P gets more market share there will be leather and aftermarket springs, guide rods, etc available for it, assuming S&W can convince the public that the gun is as good as a Glock for reliability. I think a lot of that will come from S&W getting the M&P line of handguns into the hands of the police and military, at least here in America.

I do disagree with S&W refusing to sell parts for the gun to the general public. There are ways to get the free state parts, but it ain't from S&W. They are not making friends in my opinion.

I think for the average person in MA, the M&P line is a good option for those who are unable or unwilling to pay a premium price for a Glock.

-Mike

I'll fill in.

howaglockworks.gif

There are generation 3 Glocks that are pre 10/21/98. There was a short window that they were made, I believe the Generation 3 frame was introduced less than a year before the Mass ban. So I wonder, if you send in a Gen3 glock that was made before the cutoff, and they have to replace the frame, then what???

I shot a SW M&P today for the first time. It was the compact 9c and I liked it a lot. Felt comfortable in my hands. I would buy one over a Glock. All personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom