• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA H3476 definition of "Replica Firearms" UPDATE Bill "dead" for this session

Heard State Sen Hank Naughton talking about this bill this morning on WCRN with Hank and Ben. Said there will be a revision to the bill to allow paintball and airsoft guns to be "unplugged". The problem is that the requirement for practically the entire gun to be painted orange will stay in the bill. Basically this will still amount to a De Facto ban on airsoft/paintball guns. After all, what manufacturer is going to be willing to alter their products to this extent just to sell them to Mass holes when they can still sell them in 49 states as-is? Also, that Red Ryder BB gun your 10 year old already has will still be subject to confiscation and you as the owner will have charges filed against you if the police see it.

Seems legit...

And the new law will not solve the problem of police not knowing if a gun is real or imitation. All the legacy imitations out there won't get marked, and if some brilliant criminal paints his gat orange, a cop might hesitate for three seconds.

Anyone wanting a non-orange imitation will have to drive an hour or two to get one.

The law will harass legal store owners and ordinary citizens, though, which probably is the intent.

I just called and left a detailed message for Rep O'Connell's legislative aide registering my opposition to this bill in it's entirety.

Just found out that the legislature is fast tracking this bill, it will be on the floor of the house for vote tomorrow morning.

Please see GOAL's alert for more info:

http://conta.cc/1PQcnWf

Me too. How about we channel that energy into contacting the members of the Joint Committee on Public Safety & Homeland Security and our individual reps, and convince them that this bill "needs further study" due to all of its obvious idiocy?

Here's the members of the committee. I'll try to collect all their contact info into one spot this morning so nobody has to go chase it down

i made several calls all the committee members and my senator and rep

bob

Just found out that the legislature is fast tracking this bill, it will be on the floor of the house for vote tomorrow morning.

Please see GOAL's alert for more info:

http://conta.cc/1PQcnWf

I am curious which "very expensive precision target guns" would have to be painted... I don't understand this part of GOAL's alert. Can anyone clarify that for me?

I'm gonna make a movie reference here - for those who haven't seen it in the unadulterated version, see it - you owe it to yourself and your posterity - Animal House.

Parade scenes:
Less Diller, more Neidermeyer

I do not condone the destruction of liquid filled bottles.

I for one have a beautiful airsoft full auto tommy gun replica with a wooden stock and grip. I just can't imagine having to paint that gun orange.

It appears as though they are going after the retailers:
(b) A violation ... shall constitute an unfair or deceptive trade act or practice under section 2 of chapter 93A.

"a person ... known to be in violation of said section two, the court may require such person to pay to the commonwealth a civil penalty of not more than five thousand dollars for each such violation and also may require the said person to pay the reasonable costs of investigation and litigation of such violation, including reasonable attorneys' fees."

And it appears as though cops can confiscate anything without any compensation. They could sell everything confiscated in any neighboring state. This is going to become a cash cow for local PD.s. I can see a ban on sling shots, bows and arrows, pocket knives of any size, we need to protect the children.

Any way to sue the state for unfairly devaluing collections? I have several BB and Airsoft guns that total a good amount of money. Nothing like the Pyramydair beauty above but still a good deal of value. Besides the burden to paint them the value of these guns will be next to nil. If this passes we should file a class action demanding compensation.

And what's the point? As many people have mentioned criminals can easily paint a real gun. Crap, Dick's readily sells pink 1022's, and higher caliber colored guns are more common than one would think. Just do a Google image search for "colored ar15". If colored guns is all it takes to prevent a LEO from drawing a firearm, then we have some pretty dumb LEO's. At the very least we have lots of dumb state legislators.

Thanks Mike for putting this out there.

I called my Rep an hour ago and left a message and request for call-back. The Rep and his Chief of Staff are people I've known for a very long time. I would have called him at home last night but had a meeting that ran very late. I hope he does the right thing.

My State Rep just called me back. He told me that numerous amendments might be added to this to perhaps fix some of the concerns. They are going into caucus at 12Noon and will find out what is planned for today. He said that he isn't sure that it will be voted today due to these concerns, so it might or might not be held over for the changes.

Very interesting . . . it appears that calls from the State House and some other state agencies are now showing ONLY "617" in CallerID, so you have no idea where the call is coming from or the call-back number. Spoofing like the spammers do.

Any way to sue the state for unfairly devaluing collections? I have several BB and Airsoft guns that total a good amount of money. Nothing like the Pyramydair beauty above but still a good deal of value. Besides the burden to paint them the value of these guns will be next to nil. If this passes we should file a class action demanding compensation.

And what's the point? As many people have mentioned criminals can easily paint a real gun. Crap, Dick's readily sells pink 1022's, and higher caliber colored guns are more common than one would think. Just do a Google image search for "colored ar15". If colored guns is all it takes to prevent a LEO from drawing a firearm, then we have some pretty dumb LEO's. At the very least we have lots of dumb state legislators.

I spent a few hundred dollars on a gorgeous looking Thompson M1A1 airsoft rifle with a real wooden stock, wooden grip. It's really a thing of beauty and honestly I have hardly ever used it. I bought it mainly for the quality and craftsmanship. If you think I am going to take something that beautiful and just spray paint the whole damn thing orange and reduce it's value to essentially zero, you have another thing coming. I actually own quite a few expensive airsoft guns and to be honest, I just can't see having to throw them in the trash for lack of being an instant criminal. What the hell is wrong with our legislators? It's a day like today when I cannot wait to put the for sale sign up on my house here and RI and get the hell out of new england. This isn't even a democracy, it's some kind of pseudo-communism now.

Co-sponsor of the bill Sen. Michael O. Moore is A+ GOAL rated, so I am surprised to see this kind of "if it saves only one life, think of the children' drivel from him in last week's Telegram: http://www.telegram.com/article/20160123/NEWS/160129585

The Senate vice-chairman of the public-safety committee, Michael O. Moore, D-Millbury, said Thursday: “This is a matter of public safety. The last thing we want is a child or anyone getting shot by a police officer because they had a gun that looked realistically like an authentic firearm. I read one comment someone (made) that this is a silly law,” he said. “Well, they may think it’s silly, until a family (member) or friend gets seriously injured or killed” because a police officer mistakes a replica gun for a real one. Maybe we can put some exemptions in for a paintball facility - those aren’t people who are running around in public with the guns."

Co-sponsor of the bill Sen. Michael O. Moore is A+ GOAL rated, so I am surprised to see this kind of "if it saves only one life, think of the children' drivel from him in last week's Telegram: http://www.telegram.com/article/20160123/NEWS/160129585

The Senate vice-chairman of the public-safety committee, Michael O. Moore, D-Millbury, said Thursday: “This is a matter of public safety. The last thing we want is a child or anyone getting shot by a police officer because they had a gun that looked realistically like an authentic firearm. I read one comment someone (made) that this is a silly law,” he said. “Well, they may think it’s silly, until a family (member) or friend gets seriously injured or killed” because a police officer mistakes a replica gun for a real one. Maybe we can put some exemptions in for a paintball facility - those aren’t people who are running around in public with the guns."

So let's ban airsoft because it looks realistic and when the teenage criminal stop using airsoft and start using realistic look paintball guns then we will have to ban them too. Same end result, bans, and nothing changes.

The fact that we have to keep doing this is harassment on our govts. part. The only law that should be passed is one stating they can't pass anymore. They keep doing this in the hope that we will give up and then they can do whatever they want without opposition.

I emailed both my senator and representative. I just hope they listen. It's ridiculous that we even have to keep doing this.

My State Rep just called me back. He told me that numerous amendments might be added to this to perhaps fix some of the concerns. They are going into caucus at 12Noon and will find out what is planned for today. He said that he isn't sure that it will be voted today due to these concerns, so it might or might not be held over for the changes.

Very interesting . . . it appears that calls from the State House and some other state agencies are now showing ONLY "617" in CallerID, so you have no idea where the call is coming from or the call-back number. Spoofing like the spammers do.

Amend? No, please call him back and ask that he opposes/kills the bill. There's no fixing that piece of sh1t

Back
Top Bottom