MA H3476 definition of "Replica Firearms" UPDATE Bill "dead" for this session

thorin

NES Member
In his quest to eliminate "toy guns", Rep. Daniel Cullinane of Boston has introduced a bill (H.3476) that will change the definition of "Imitation Firearm" in Ch 140 Sec 121 such that it would outlaw ownership or sale of pretty much any pellet, BB, or airsoft rifle or pistol in existence today. The law already prohibits using an 'imitation firearm' in an assaultive manner. If I have interpreted any of this incorrectly, somebody please clue me in & I will edit my post.

I'm not going to post the whole bill, but here are some of the relevant parts the new proposed definition: “Imitation firearm”, any air rifle or hand gun, pellet gun or “B-B” gun or any device or object made of plastic, wood, metal or any other material which substantially duplicates or can reasonably be perceived to be an actual firearm, rifle, shotgun, air rifle or hand gun, pellet gun, or “B-B” gun, unless such air rifle or hand gun, pellet gun, “B-B” gun or device or object(i) is colored other than black, blue, silver or aluminum; (ii) is marked with a non-removable orange stripe which is at least 1 inch in width and runs the entire length of the barrel on each side and the front end of the barrel
https://malegislature.gov/Bills/189/House/H3476

(c) A law enforcement officer may confiscate any imitation firearm from a person in possession thereof unless the person is possessing the imitation firearm:(i) solely for subsequent transportation in interstate commerce; or (ii) solely for lawful use in a theatrical production, including a motion picture, television or stage production.

Section 131R. (a) No person shall import, manufacture, sell, hold for sale or distribute within the state any imitation firearm unless such device is imported, manufactured, sold, held for sale and distributed: (i) solely for subsequent transportation in interstate commerce; or (ii) solely for lawful use in a theatrical production, including a motion picture, television or stage production.

There is a public hearing on this bill next Thursday at the State house. I would suggest any of you who care might want to contact your elected representatives.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/01/07/imitation-firearms-fake-gun-bill-hearing/

So airsoft guns used for training would be gone. Airsoft guns are a danger to "Boston's kids??" Right. I'm so tired of having my liberties restricted because of what "homies in the 'hood" do. That is who we are talking about. 99% of the "gun crime" emanates from Dorchester, Mattapan and Roxbury. Yet, when these misunderstood youth get arrested, they never get charged and convicted of gun crimes that would send them away for long periods of time. The gun charges always get plea-bargained away. How about we enforce the laws we have instead of writing stupid ones against toy guns?

Let it pass.

Seriously... let it pass.

This would make it impossible for any store to sell most toy guns, and any BB gun, airsoft, etc. It would also open the door for confiscation of said items.

Let's see what rest of the sate has to say about gun laws that "don't affect them" when they can't buy their kid an airsoft gun for Christmas. Let's see what happens when the police start taking away little Johnnie's airsoft gun.

Airsoft looks mighty real. This is just common sense (replica) gun control to keep the kids safe from trigger happy police. If it saves just one life it is worth it, right?

No one is comming for your airsoft guns...

Let the rest of the people see and understand.

So no more airsoft in Massachusetts? Or will airsoft be limited to LEO's and active duty military with a special carve out? [crying]

Since no manufacturers make airsoft, pellet or BB guns with the proposed markings, and obviously currently posessed ones do not have them and the police will be empowered to confiscate them, no more airsoft, no more plinking with a bb pistol with your neice in the backyard, no more squirrel hunting with your .22 Gamo.

From the news articles in the previous few days, it seems there is momentum behind this. I saw Jim Wallace interviewed in a couple of articles.

A few of the objections I can think of off the top of my head:
-Pellet & BB rifles and pistols are not 'toy guns', they fire projectiles that can injure or possibly kill and should not be treated as toys
-Actual "toy guns" already are required to be marked with special colorings
-Criminals could just paint over the markings or use a strip of tape
-Criminals could paint the markings on a real gun thus leading to uncertainty by a police officer
-Many youths and adults participate in air rifle leagues in the state and there are no exemptions for that
-Many people enjoy indoor or backyard target practice with airguns during the winter when their regular range is snowed in
-Using an 'imitation firearm' to commit a crime is ALREADY ILLEGAL
-Many people use air rifles as a safer way to control pest animals around their property, or hunt small game
-Many people use air pistols & rifles as an inexpensive, convenient way to practice firearm safety & skills
-Airsoft guns already are required to have an orange tip. In the example of Tamir Rice, he removed the orange tip.
-Airsoft is a popular game amongst the youth and gets youth into the outdoors & getting exercise

Wow this state is flushing right down the toilet fast. I'm 43 soon to be 44 lived here all my life, run my business in this state, raise my kids here and this is what my taxes are going to.

Keep flushing the turds Mass, the middle East will soon be a pile of glass, faster now with NK playing with new Nukes, Europe is on fire, our economy is on life support and now a bill to keep kids from having a TOY gun. Liberals and progressive never stop,

I just can't believe what my state and my country has turned into.

Jason.

Wow this state is flushing right down the toilet fast. I'm 43 soon to be 44 lived here all my life, run my business in this state, raise my kids here and this is what my taxes are going to.

Keep flushing the turds Mass, the middle East will soon be a pile of glass, faster now with NK playing with new Nukes, Europe is on fire, our economy is on life support and now a bill to keep kids from having a TOY gun. Liberals and progressive never stop,

I just can't believe what my state and my country has turned into.

Jason.

Amen brother. 41 here. Holy shit how much this state has gone to suck since we were kids.

This is what they spend their time on.
Roads and bridges falling apart, gangs taking over neighborhoods , a transit system that makes Russian roulette look appealing, huge budget deficit , yup we got it covered.

I fought for this xhit ? Wtf ! Finger pointing next?.... who are these (never mind they are my neighbors in xssachusetts) .... but felons running around with guns are allowed to plea bargin down, and it's okay ?... this Country is xxcked . Cancel my subscription to the lemmingazation ! ! !
[banghead]

Wait a sec...

Does that mean I can legally own and carry a Glock with an LTC, but my IZH46 Olympic air pistol would be illegal and subject to confiscation?

That's so inside out it hurts my head to think about it.

So I will not even be able to own a bb gun even with an LTC? Firearms good? BB guns bad? What in St Francis of Assisi is going on in this state??

Amen brother. 41 here. Holy shit how much this state has gone to suck since we were kids.

I keep telling my kids when its time, pack up and leave, leave for liberty and freedom, just leave. Don't try and fight it, me it would be hard at this point to start over in another state, but I'm begging them not to set up family's here.

We as kids along with many on this site remember the days of walking threw our downtown area with dad's 22 in a case once we were of age and completed our safety training. But I'm talking in my middle teens, my kids think I'm joking.

I had permission to bring my compound bow to high school on the bus, Razer tipped arrows along with my buck 110 knife if I managed to kill a deer for hunting season. I would lock it in my locker and after school the bus dropped us off by ceder swamp pond in Westboro to hunt.

Jason.

What the hell does 131Q have to do with replica firearms? Isn't it about reporting of crimes? Why strike that?

We had these as kids in the '60's. The M-16 was every kids favorite in the neighborhood. As I recall, we never tried to hold up a liquor store, orchestrate a drive by shooting while riding our sting-ray bikes, or hit the penny candy store.

So tell me what has changed in society during the past 50 years? We were innocent kids playing in the woods and riding our bikes. Very sad what todays parents allow their kids to get involved in.

http://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/126124471044/airfix-fal-from-the-late-1950s-through-to-the

Let it pass.

This would make it impossible for any store to sell most toy guns, and any BB gun, airsoft, etc. It would also open the door for confiscation of said items.

Let's see what rest of the sate has to say about gun laws that "don't affect them" when they can't buy their kid an airsoft gun for Christmas. Let's see what happens when the police start taking away little Johnnie's airsoft gun.

Airsoft looks mighty real. This is just common sense (replica) gun control to keep the kids safe from trigger happy police. If it saves just one life it is worth it, right?

Strangely, I agree. Maybe this will open the eyes of some of the fence sitters that just can't fathom what has been slowly happening. Passage of this will just bring more people onto this side of the argument, that were before on the side of the lib-tard moonbats.

So I will not even be able to own a bb gun even with an LTC? Firearms good? BB guns bad? What in St Francis of Assisi is going on in this state??
It's a state of insanity. I suggest you make it your goal to stop supporting the madness with your skills and most importantly your tax dollars. Get the hell out and live in a free state and enjoy your life instead of wringing your hands. And yes I did it and it required some financial sacrifices and I would do it all again in a minute.

It's a state of insanity. I suggest you make it your goal to stop supporting the madness with your skills and most importantly your tax dollars. Get the hell out and live in a free state and enjoy your life instead of wringing your hands. And yes I did it and it required some financial sacrifices and I would do it all again in a minute.

I was starting to get a little complacent. This woke me right back up. I have a son who will be born soon - I need to be out of here by the time he is old enough to start shooting a bb gun.

Reading it a little more closely, I think you will be able to keep your 'pre ban' bb guns, aside from the provision in the bill which allows police to confiscate them anytime they feel like it, even in the absence of a crime committed. However, since no manufacturers are going to bother making "MA-compliant' airguns, it will be essentially a ban on all future purchases in the state. Hopefully somebody who knows more about MA law than me can analyze this bill and read more into the implications. I was wrong about the hearing date; it appears the hearing was yesterday (the 7th) in front of the Public Safety & Homeland Security committee. So maybe contacting the members of that committee would be the best course of action in the short term.

Well if it's any consolation I passed this on to the airsoft people of Massachusetts. Let them know if they don't get their butts in gear, their days are numbered.

Let it pass.

I agree

Let it pass.

+1

I do wonder if the cops will be running to all the stores confiscating all the contraband on the first day. Might be fun to watch.

This is in response to thuglets working on Darwin awards. The Boston City Council just strengthened the city's ban on replica firearms. Now the state is following suit.

Once again everyone else loses freedom while the real problem population will keep on offending. When crime continues to be perpetrated by the same people, the usual idiots will blame the continuance of the problem on mail order airsoft and 'lax laws' in bordering states.

Will the COP start issuing LTC-P to kids who want pellet guns (for sporting purposes only)? Will lil Jimmy have to register... Err... Report sales and transfers?

How about if some crackhead has a real gun, and just paint the orange markings on it? He would then have a replica of a replica gun.

Since the real gun now looks like a replica gun, anyone can open carry it and wander around everywhere with it, because everybody will think it's a replica. Perfect for someone planning some criminal act on a grand scale.
This is way too much thought for a liberal mind.

Back
Top Bottom