MA gun legality

jon

Hello all, I have bene lurking for a while. but i have a few questions.

I am in the process of trying to obtain my pistol permit in CT. I have started looking at pistols and realize that being a CT resident pretty much everything is OK (compared to the poor MA folks) Problem is there is a high likely hood I may be moving to massachusetts in the coming year for work. What I was wondering is if I buy a gun in CT will I be able to bring it with me legally to MA?

or should I be careful and try to buy only whats on the AG list?

jon

The EOPS roster and the AG's regs only apply to dealers selling handguns in
MA. It is meaningless when it comes to actual possession. Owning a gun not
on the list (or one that is not papered as exempt) is perfectly legal. The only downside
to such guns is that an MA dealer cannot transfer it to another MA resident; if you wanted
to sell to another MA resident you'd have to do so via a private sale, which you are limited to 4/yr.
(Assuming you move here and get the appropriate LTC).

One thing that is NOT legal here is any post-9/94 manufactured magazines
which hold more than 10 rounds of ammo. So if you want normal mags, you
must get prebans for them and sell off any posties before you come
here. Also, any "post ban" AW with evil features is not legal here either... but
coming from CT, the land of rifle communism, you might not even have one of
those. (An example would be an AR15 made after 9/94 that has a collapsible stock,
bayo lug, and flash hider. Neutered ARs made after 9/94 are OK, though. (eg, like
the rifles produced and sold during the ban).

-Mike

Last edited:
As just noted, any handgun that you might legally have in CT will be perfectly legal here in MA, though not some large capacity magazines. As a result, you could do quite nicely for yourself (and desperate NES members) by picking up a few pistols that we can't buy here,then (when you tire of them) selling them at a tidy little profit to us. All perfectly legal as long as it isn't simply intended as a business venture.

Ken

Yep, I would definitely suggest purchasing anything non-MA-compliant you might like to have, own, or later sell (to us!) someday in CT, and move here with them. They become MA-legal firearms then, for private-party sales.

I bought a beautiful P7M8 from a guy who moved here from CT, and I'd do it again in a second.

Thank you very much for all the responses. It seems that the world is my oyster I guess.

Well it might be ... at least until you become a resident of the People's Republic of Massachusetts. Then everything will be taxed to provide for "deserving" minorities, illegals, criminals and general loafers, leaving you with the sand.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom