MA Gun Laws

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I feel better about transporting now and will have one less headache to deal with if I get stopped en route.

1911 - I should have known better. I won't confuse the two in the future. ;)

Thanks again guys.

Thanks for the quick info and I'll act accordingly. I suppose that I can't use the cable lock on the zipper because it might be possible to remove the gun from the case due to the slack In the cable. I'll put a small padlock on the zipper but it is funny because even though it is legal it isn't half as secure as putting the cable through the action.

You can't go wrong locking everything. Put a lock on the gun and the bag.

I do overkill:

1. Trigger Lock
2. Lock on box that my hand gun is in.
3. lock on bag (that my box that is holding hand gun is in).

Yes over kill but why not, that way I'm covered if I am searched for any reason.

I had a good one the other day, I bought a 22 rifle (with detachable mag), it was new in the box, I asked the clerk about a gun lock and he said "na your all rite, it's in a box" . Needless to say I put it in a soft case with a lock on it for the trip home that I had brought with me.

I think I'm going to toss a soft case with a lock on it in the truck just incase I'm out somewere and I stop and buy a gun, I won't have to buy a case to transport it in that way.

Hi folks,

Just got my class a (restricted for target/hunting) and was just wondering if there has been any progress in getting the "restrictions" legally defined. I know I can't CCW but what does this restriction actually mean? Example: I don't want to lose my license if I am not headed to the range or the woods when i'm pulled over and questioned about the gun locked safely in my trunk....

Hi folks,

Just got my class a (restricted for target/hunting) and was just wondering if there has been any progress in getting the "restrictions" legally defined. I know I can't CCW but what does this restriction actually mean? Example: I don't want to lose my license if I am not headed to the range or the woods when i'm pulled over and questioned about the gun locked safely in my trunk....

Talk to your licensing offer and try to get a written definition. One town's interpretation on "Target/Hunting" may be different than another's.

For example, Boston's "Sport/Target" says "No Conceal Carry" next to it, whereas another town may allow concealed carry to and from sporting events or a licensed range.

It has to be paired (either physically or constructively) with a post-ban lower to be illegal to possess in MA.

edit: damn u phil, always too slow! [wink]

Last edited:
Regarding transporting a handgun:

If I have a handgun in a locked container (let's assume I have a restricted LTC-A) while driving and get pulled over for a moving violation, am I legally obligated to inform the officer that I have a gun in the car?

If so, if any LEO's want to chime in as to what they would prefer the driver do, I would be interested in hearing it: i.e. have both hands on the steering wheel when I inform them I have a handgun in the car, etc.

Thanx.

If I have a handgun in a locked container (let's assume I have a restricted LTC-A) while driving and get pulled over for a moving violation, am I legally obligated to inform the officer that I have a gun in the car?
[horse][horse]
We only cover this subject about 23 times per month. No, here in MA you are not required by law to inform a police officer, even if you were carrying concealed.

Some folks recommend that you inform anyways. I recommend against doing so unless the officer orders you out of the car (in which case you are likely to be arrested anyways).

If someone moves here from another state and owns both high capacity rifles and pistols what is he required to do? Is he illegally in possession of the firearms the minute he moves into his new home with his guns or does he have a certain time period to get duely licensed?

If someone moves here from another state and owns both high capacity rifles and pistols what is he required to do?
Get an LTC-A.

Is he illegally in possession of the firearms the minute he moves into his new home with his guns or does he have a certain time period to get duely licensed?
No, there is a 60-day grace period. See MGL Chapter 140 Section 129c:

Section 129C. No person, other than a licensed dealer or one who has been issued a license to carry a pistol or revolver or an exempt person as hereinafter described, shall own or possess any firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition unless he has been issued a firearm identification card by the licensing authority pursuant to the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-nine B.

[deleted for clarity]

The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:

[deleted for clarity]

(j) Any new resident moving into the commonwealth, any resident of the commonwealth returning after having been absent from the commonwealth for not less than 180 consecutive days or any resident of the commonwealth upon being released from active service with any of the armed services of the United States with respect to any firearm, rifle or shotgun and any ammunition therefor then in his possession, for 60 days after such release, return or entry into the commonwealth;

Full text here: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-129c.htm

Last edited:
If someone moves here from another state and owns both high capacity rifles and pistols what is he required to do? Is he illegally in possession of the firearms the minute he moves into his new home with his guns or does he have a certain time period to get duely licensed?

Get an LTC-A.

No, there is a 60-day grace period. See MGL Chapter 140 Section 129c:

Full text here: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-129c.htm

And he has to make sure he does not bring in any post-ban high capacity mags or post-ban "AWs".

I assume the 60 day grace period is tied to the 60 days in which an application for an LTC is supposed to be returned to the submitter with an acceptance or a rejection.

My LTC took exactly 90 days to turn around.

It seems that starting the LTC process before your move (to the extent possible...training etc.) would be good practice.

Does anyone know where I could find a "cliffs note" version of the MGL's? i.e. the most common questions asked?

Or a full PDF version so I can print it out? I can only read so much online before my eyes get bugged out.

Does anyone know where I could find a "cliffs note" version of the MGL's? i.e. the most common questions asked?

Or a full PDF version so I can print it out? I can only read so much online before my eyes get bugged out.

The "legislation" page at GOAL has some excellent pdf pages on particular legal issues. I use them for my classes and would recommend anyone to start there.

Ken

New Question-

When transporting a gun and ammo to the range holding a LTC A can you make an argument that having your range bag in the front seat with your gun in it is "under your control"?

It's either conceal carry in your car to the range, or lock your *stuff in the car trunk? Also, can you keep ammo in the same range bag or does it have to be in a separate case?

Last edited:
[horse][horse]
We only cover this subject about 23 times per month. No, here in MA you are not required by law to inform a police officer, even if you were carrying concealed.

Some folks recommend that you inform anyways. I recommend against doing so unless the officer orders you out of the car (in which case you are likely to be arrested anyways).

A slight twist on this came up in this post.

Every time I think I understand Mass it turns out I don't. I was under the impression that concealed carry in Mass state parks was OK. And this came up a few weeks ago here.

I have looked around and can't find a citation for this. M1911 - do you remember your source?
i just found this on mass/dcr.gov :

350 CMR: DEPARTMENT OF CONSERVATION AND RECREATION
4/27/01 350 CMR - 6
2.01: continued
(m) Public assemblies of more than 25 persons shall not be allowed without a written
permit from the Commissioner or his designee.
(n) No person shall engage in any business, sale, or display of goods or wares without a
written permit from the Commissioner or his designee.
(o) All signs and advertising are prohibited on MDC property without a written permit from
the Commissioner.
(p) No person, unless authorized by law or permit, shall have possession of or discharge any
weapon, firearm, fireworks or other explosive.

its looks so simple but its so confusing,i hope under permit they mean CC permit [crying]

Every time I think I understand Mass it turns out I don't. I was under the impression that concealed carry in Mass state parks was OK. And this came up a few weeks ago here.

I have looked around and can't find a citation for this. M1911 - do you remember your source?

I just misread his post. I know of no statutes against carrying in parks. There may be some regulations, of course...

I have a general question, one that I cannot seem to find an answer to. The assault weapons ban in MA currently doesnt allow folding or collapsible stocks. However, to the best of my research, it doesnt specify how long a stock needs to be. So, technically, I could order an adjustable stock, shorten it (I like it close in), and remove the pin-thus rendering this legal, correct? Technically, it isnt adjustable-I have one now, that is pinned in the fully open position, and THATS perfectly legal...so I would assume that, as long as you are incapable of adjusting it, you are within the law. Am I correct in that assumption?

I have a general question, one that I cannot seem to find an answer to. The assault weapons ban in MA currently doesnt allow folding or collapsible stocks. However, to the best of my research, it doesnt specify how long a stock needs to be. So, technically, I could order an adjustable stock, shorten it (I like it close in), and remove the pin-thus rendering this legal, correct? Technically, it isnt adjustable-I have one now, that is pinned in the fully open position, and THATS perfectly legal...so I would assume that, as long as you are incapable of adjusting it, you are within the law. Am I correct in that assumption?

yes, but the adjustment needs to be permanent. A legally pinned adjustable stock has more modifications than just a pin IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom