MA Gun Laws

Still be cheaper than the cops taking all your guns because you are deceased/incapacitated and she has no license.

Still be cheaper than the cops taking all your guns because you are deceased/incapacitated and she has no license.

exactly!

At the VERY least, if you were deceased/incapacitated, she could sell off one firearm to recoup the costs of being able to keep the rest of your collection safe. Otherwise, the cops take them and you get nothing for them!

OK, so I applied on March 11. Nothing yet. Every time I call the PD, they say "Call back next week"

Two weeks ago I called the CHSB and was told they hadn't reveived my application yet.

Called CHSB again today, and they (rep and supervisor) tell me they can't divulge any info, as they can't verify my identity over the phone, and "That's confidential you know".

WHATUPWITHTHAT!

Not sure this is correct forum, but let me give it a try.

Can I keep my handgun in a locked locker at my gun club 24/7/365?

Not sure this is correct forum, but let me give it a try.

Can I keep my handgun in a locked locker at my gun club 24/7/365?

Safe storage would seem to mean locked up, which would be the case.

But the gun club presumably has a key or at least retains the right to open the locker, so you can no longer control access.

So far, imo, no, you can't.

If you put the gun in a 'gun vault' and put the gv in the locker, you'd have a stronger position. Of course, you shouldn't leave the ammo with it.

So, maybe?

If your goal is to have the gun conveniently accessible when you're at the club, without having to remember where you put down your gun when you got home last time, then (if you always drive the same car) you could have a Gun Vault welded into the trunk and keep it there. Maybe a second one for the ammo. Since they're doubly locked and separated, you ought to be able to let your wife etc drive it without getting them in trouble. (You can certainly leave your home to go to the store, leaving them in possession of the house containing your safe, so this amounts to the same thing).

IANAL

I've been living in Western MA for 63 years now and have had my LTC-A, with no restrictions, for the better part of 40 of those years. My son, who is currently living with us, has the same license. However, my wife has no LTC, nor an FID card at present. She is not an active shooter, but well versed in handling of all types of guns, which she occaisionally shoots at a local range with me. After having found this site and in reading it's contents, it has brought to mind this "what-if" scenario. Does she have the right to defend herself (within our home) and/or our home (break-in) with a firearm?

I took that one step further.

My wife only had an FID. I looked at it this way, if we were out and I had to go into a bank (or other place I could not go into with a gun) and had to leave my gun with her in the vehicle she could get in trouble for having it there. So we went and had her FID changed and now she has a pistol permit the same as mine so she is all set now. What sucked is we had just renewed her FID about 6 month before this so we payed twice, wish I had thought about it when we got her FID renewal, oh well, now shes all set.

f we were out and I had to go into a bank (or other place I could not go into with a gun)
As a responsible LTC holder, I would suggest that you get yourself educated on the laws. While there can be no harm (other than leaving yourself defenseless) in the incorrect assumption that you cannot lawfully carry in a bank, such a basic misunderstanding of the laws gives cause to wonder what other basics may have been omitted from your training.

As a responsible LTC holder, I would suggest that you get yourself educated on the laws. While there can be no harm (other than leaving yourself defenseless) in the incorrect assumption that you cannot lawfully carry in a bank, such a basic misunderstanding of the laws gives cause to wonder what other basics may have been omitted from your training.

I have allways been told that a bank is off limits, just as schools and such.

Is there a list somewhere here that shows where you can and can't carry. Or where can I find such a list. Please don't tell me to use the search here, I've tryed the search before just to get lost in so many posts I lost track of what I was looking for.

As a responsible LTC holder, I would suggest that you get yourself educated on the laws..
I'm not being an A$$ here but if I do not know where to look and you do not give me (and others that are not sure) the help as to where to find these laws, a post by you saying that "I should get educated" doe's no help. Lets start helping our fellow gun owners out. We are going to need to help each other out now that we have a gun hating leader in the white house.

Last edited:
David, the list (for MA) consists simply of:

- school property (including colleges)

That is all that is in MGLs.

Obviously if a courthouse or other municipal building has metal detectors, you won't be allowed to carry there.

Federal buildings are covered by Fed Law . . . and even though the Fed Law seems to give an exemption for LTC holders, the CFR and "interpretation" given to some Fed LEOs seems to point to being more cautious.

I'm not being an A$$ here but if I do not know where to look and you do not give me
Good point. Here are a few options:

1. Read MGL Chapter 269 and 140 in their entirety for state law. Peruse title 10USC for federal law.

2. Hire an attorney to brief you. Figure an hour will cover the basics for a few hundered $$

3. Take the Art of Concealed Carry from GOAL. One of the instructors (Darius) is a highly regarded defense attorney who is an expect in gun issues. The other instructor is also extremely well versed in this area but lacks the sheepskin.

4. Post to the internet to get a sense of the hive. Keep in mind, the hive can be less than accurate and this is a classic example of "free advice is often worth less than you pay for it". Though LenS and a few others are dang near flawless sources of information, it's not good to rely on simplifications (for example, the "schools only" statement forgot to mention the exclusion zone on the surface of the water within 500 ft of Logan airport; some game regulations that impact carry; or the import of the CMR 740 on civilian carry in the non-sterile portions of Logan airport)

#3 is the most cost effective, interesting, and fun way to get the information from someone who has both the credential, and the expertise in this area. Civilian students sometimes pay too much attention to the "real world" credentials of instructors have in regards to armed conflict, and not enough to the real world experience of dealing with the system. Few civilian gun owners in MA will find themselves in defensive shooting situations, whereas all will find themselves dealing with police departments and licensing officials who have broad discretion over the applicant's ability to exercise his/her 2nd amendment rights.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob and Len !!!

I"ll take a look through those.

I also found two books through Alan Korwin (Bloomfield Press / GunLaws.com) that look good (Ma firearms laws and the traveler's guide to firearm laws of the 50 states). I'm going to call him tomorrow and order them.

Thanks again

David

Last edited:
I'd be wary of generic books that purport to cover MA and books on MA law written by out of staters. I should have included a #5 in my list - the definitive work on the subject is http://www.municipalpoliceinstitute.org/product-detail.php?productid=11 and is available for $45.00 ($41.50 on CD)

Thanks Rob

I like the sounds of that one but will it help me out with CCW questions or is it more set up for LEO's.

This is the link to the books I'm talking about http://gunlaws.com/. It seems to be a good book and I see it being said by alot of the people that are "in the know" to be the one to get.

Thanks Again

David

Last edited:
will it help me out with CCW questions or is it more set up for LEO's.
Actually, it will help you with CCW issues since it's a popular training book for LEOs in MA, written by a MA police chief who chairs the state's gun control advisory board (GCAB). It won't help you *get* a permit (many other threads on that), but will give you a good idea what is allowed, and it also contains some excellent cites to relevant case law (like the one where the court upheld the revocation of a permit because the permit holder exercised his right to remain silent).

Buying both books is a very small investment.

I cite Glidden's book in the "Reason For Issuance" part of the addendum I prepare for clients' applications. My copy of the 13th edition came last week and the cites in the standard letter has been updated accordingly.

Why I got a book when I ordered the CD is a mystery.

Actually, it will help you with CCW issues since it's a popular training book for LEOs in MA, written by a MA police chief who chairs the state's gun control advisory board (GCAB). It won't help you *get* a permit (many other threads on that), but will give you a good idea what is allowed, and it also contains some excellent cites to relevant case law (like the one where the court upheld the revocation of a permit because the permit holder exercised his right to remain silent).

Buying both books is a very small investment.

Great, I'm going to order that one tomorrow also. I've had my LTC for 30 something years and as with anything like that the laws change alot, heck daily if not hourly [grin] it seems. I just want to have the most up to date info and it seems these items are the right ticket for that.

Thanks Again

David, someone put a link above to Glidden's book, which is sold by MPI. You can order it from the website. You might find it at a W. MA cop-shop too, but I'd call before venturing out looking for it.

David, someone put a link above to Glidden's book, which is sold by MPI. You can order it from the website. You might find it at a W. MA cop-shop too, but I'd call before venturing out looking for it.

OH OK Len and Scrivener. I didn't put it together that it was the one that Rob listed, now that I reread the posts I see that (dau [grin]). I printed it out and I'll call them to order it.

Thanks again everyone, it's great to see such good help (advice) going on here.

Last edited:
So much harder to cut and paste from a book..huh!![wink]

And much slower to look things up in, assuming the CD is searchable.

Of course, once I find the new page numbers for the cites, the book doesn't get much use. I still have the first two I bought and presume the third is still around somewhere.

Yup, it's in PDF format and fully searchable. There isn't any stupid copyright protection on it either, so I have a copy on each of my computers.
Copyright protection, and copy protection, are difference concepts.

Back
Top Bottom