• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Gun Laws

Lol, "should be" seems to be the problem with anything about this topic, your reading of it came out like mine but any dealers on here selling these or has anyone bought anything new besides a .22 blunderbuss built in 1753 lately

I've seen lots of both for sale by MA dealers.

Fair enough. So heres a hypothetical. I build an AR using an 80 lower, and I store it in NH. Its never in MA. Is it legal.....

I know you cannot buy a rifle in NH if it isn't MA compliant. Does this law get applied to a gun not bought through an FFL??

Fair enough. So heres a hypothetical. I build an AR using an 80 lower, and I store it in NH. Its never in MA. Is it legal.....

I know you cannot buy a rifle in NH if it isn't MA compliant. Does this law get applied to a gun not bought through an FFL??
The regs apply to dealers, not to buyers. We have nearly forgotten, but federal government was supposed to have very limited reach.

Sent from my m8whl using Tapatalk

Are there any laws in the Commonwealth regards "Brandishing"? If not, is there case law, jury instructions, etc... for some guidance?

Are there any laws in the Commonwealth regards "Brandishing"? If not, is there case law, jury instructions, etc... for some guidance?

IANAL
If I recall correctly there is no such thing as brandishing in MA, it goes straight to assault. And you'll probably lose you LTC regardless of the outcome if you are charged.

There are no laws that specifically use the word "Brandishing" AFAIK, but the presence of a firearm at an altercation will be duly noted.

IANAL

Two anecdotes:

A friend's dad was crossing the street in a crosswalk, and a car nearly hit him. He threw his closed Swiss Army knife at the car, and was charged with "assault with a dangerous weapon."

I sat on a jury, where one of the charges was "Assault with a dangerous weapon- firearm", because the defendant supposedly pointed a gun at another party. IIRC, no firearm was recovered, but the charge stood.

Moral of the story: Be careful out there.....

Not joking-just curious. On the 2016 roster, I don't recall seeing Glocks-must have been my mistake.

I just received my LTC with target and hunting restrictions in Boston. What is the laws on transporting my firearms? Can I conceal carry to and from or how must they be stored also how do I transport after a purchase?

I just received my LTC with target and hunting restrictions in Boston. What is the laws on transporting my firearms? Can I conceal carry to and from or how must they be stored also how do I transport after a purchase?

Before anyone jumps on you for asking the same old question again I'll nicely suggest spending some time searching and reading the many threads on this, then coming back with more specific questions. I know MA law can be confusing and I get that it's a lot simpler to just throw the question out there. But one of the things NES does is help it's subscribers to grow a thick skin [wink].

Having said this, I'm hoping one of the NES crowd who is more qualified than me will give you a good summary of the laws and, more importantly, how they are interpreted by LE.

I'm assuming you are new to shooting, or at least new to MA, so WELCOME. NES is a great source of information and advice, some good, some not so much. If nothing else, it can be fun. And go green (paid membership).

Transport: Unloaded and in a locked trunk or locked case or other secure container. (General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140, Section 131C)
Storage: Secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user (General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140, Section 131L)

Transport after a purchase is the same as any other transport.

Concealed carrying to/from the range on a "target and hunting" restriction depends on what the licensing authority (in your case Boston PD) interprets the restriction to mean.

Do yourself a big favor......invest six hours attending LENs seminar of Massachusetts firearms law.

MA Gun Law by and for Non-Lawyers - ~6 Hour Seminar

It will keep you out of jail. It is also the only resource which will stitch together the ragged collection of regulations, laws, and enforcement practices into a somewhat more comprehensible sense of how things are done here.

Transport: Unloaded and in a locked trunk or locked case or other secure container. (General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140, Section 131C)
Storage: Secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user (General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140, Section 131L)

Transport after a purchase is the same as any other transport.

Concealed carrying to/from the range on a "target and hunting" restriction depends on what the licensing authority (in your case Boston PD) interprets the restriction to mean.
Thank you very much I, did a couple searches but it all was overwhelming lol

Boston PD used to give out a sheet to applicants explaining when they couldn't carry. Don't know if they still do or not, but look at whatever they provided you or what is on BPD website regarding this.

Noobeee question, if I have a hunting target restriction in Boston is my detached garage considered part of my home? If I’m working in my detached garage am I aloud to have my firearm on me?

Noobeee question, if I have a hunting target restriction in Boston is my detached garage considered part of my home? If I’m working in my detached garage am I aloud to have my firearm on me?

The reality is that the law doesn't matter, it's what the cop thinks. Sure, you might win in court, but do you really want to spend the time and money it will take to fight it. And you can be sure that after being arrested you will be unsuitable.

Loaded inside your house and under your direct control, should be safe.
Loaded while hunting or target shooting, safe.
To/from hunting and target, unloaded and properly secured for transport, safe.
Anything else, it all depend on what you consider acceptable risk and how much money you have to defend yourself.

Back
Top Bottom