MA Gun Laws

And if you had ACTUALLY READ the EOPS Roster, all the way down to the third paragraph on the very first page, the one that reads:

yes i did ACTUALLY READ THE THING... do you memorize every law you Read ?

Geez.

Thanks for the info I GET IT NOW... Stop beating me with that horse... i wont ask any more questions here.
-Lenny

Lighten up already. The poor guy just drops in out of the blue, and people expect him to know everything and where everything is. Hey Codematic, welcome to NES, don't let people get to you. Just keep doing what you think is right, and you'll make out fine.

yes i did ACTUALLY READ THE THING... do you memorize every law you Read ?

Geez.

Thanks for the info I GET IT NOW... Stop beating me with that horse... i wont ask any more questions here.
-Lenny

IMO you only learn by asking. (Searching / research is a way of asking)

You've been hazed. Take it on the chin, keep poking, learning and feeding your interests/hobbies and thank your lucky STARS the Scriv isn't around anymore [laugh]

Go Green and find out about the car shoots, while you're at it!

Thanks all....

Well passion is what drives people... its fine... thats the internet for ya..

i'll probably bump into some of you sooner or later...
i'm planning on doing some USPSA shooting at the harvard range this summer...

Thanks again,
-Lenny

yes i did ACTUALLY READ THE THING
I'm sorry, but it sure doesn't appear that way.

... do you memorize every law you Read ?
Nope. And when I can't remember, I go read it again. If I don't understand what it means (which is often), I search, and then I ask questions.

Thanks for the info I GET IT NOW... Stop beating me with that horse.
I'm sorry, but I'm not going to give you a pass on this. You were the one who brought it back up. You blamed EOPS for misleading you, when, in a rare moment for them, EOPS was actually being helpful by specifically stating that you need to check the AG's regulations as well. Now, the head of the Firearms Records Bureau truly is a scum bag, but he actually isn't being scummy here (which is quite a surprise).

Now, I could understand if you asked why there are two different agencies regulating the same thing, or if you asked what are the AG's regulations, do they have a list, etc.

But, in this case, the answer to your question was right in front of you. I'm sorry that my criticism upsets you.

haha,

Yes well i did miss that part... but i was more stuck on the fact that the AG regs still dont tell me WHICH guns are legal... as i guess Glock found out in 2004, they even thought they were ok... then the AG said they weren't. If glock can be confused over it then i have no chance of understanding it... and thats the part that makes me nervous.

But as i said before, the dealers unfortunately bare the brunt of the confusion... since its regulating them.

thanks again,
-Lenny

but i was more stuck on the fact that the AG regs still dont tell me WHICH guns are legal... as i guess Glock found out in 2004, they even thought they were ok... then the AG said they weren't.
Yup, that is a big problem, and that uncertainty is keeping out many manufacturers who might otherwise sell handguns in MA.

It isn't clear to me whether that is by design or not. Perhaps the AG's office feels that more companies will be deterred if they choose not to clarify their regulations. Or perhaps the AG's office feels that if they clarify their regulations, then they could be more easily challenged in court.

You guys seriously need to lighten up with members who ask honest questions. The "OMG you're a moron because you don't know what the King wants you to do!" is pretty worn out.

You guys seriously need to lighten up with members who ask honest questions. The "OMG you're a moron because you don't know what the King wants you to do!" is pretty worn out.

Sorry, Derek, you are right. I was over the top. My apologies to you and codematic.

I'm waiting to hear back about my LTC-A (hopefully any day now) and my fiance isn't planning on getting hers. I read that I'm required to keep them locked up away from her, does this mean a safe or will just a normal "snake" gun lock be fine?

A safe is a good idea if you can afford it, but isn't need to be in accordance with the law. A trigger lock, cable lock, or locked case will meet the legal requirement. The law in question is MGL Chapter 140 Section 131L which reads, in part:

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

Full text is here: http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131l

Note, however, that while trigger locks or cable locks are suitable for storage, they do not meet the requirements for transporting handguns or large capacity long guns in vehicle. The transportation statute is here:

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131c

Thank you for the link to those. Since I have a hatchback (and no true "trunk") I'm going to need to buy a case for my long guns. I've been wanting to, but now I have a reason to.

This is probably a dumb question, and I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask this, but are there any issues involved with transporting an AR-15 with both the upper and lower separated, if stored unloaded in a locked container?

For people who live in high density areas and would rather keep a low profile, this would appear to be advantageous. Every time I go to the range I dread that walk to the car and back with the big long case. Can I separate the two for transport purpose and purchase a smaller (less conspicuous) carrying case?

Z, no problem as long as you transport it under the same rules you would for an assembled gun . . . locked case or locked trunk (trigger locks don't count).

This is probably a dumb question, and I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask this, but are there any issues involved with transporting an AR-15 with both the upper and lower separated, if stored unloaded in a locked container?

For people who live in high density areas and would rather keep a low profile, this would appear to be advantageous. Every time I go to the range I dread that walk to the car and back with the big long case. Can I separate the two for transport purpose and purchase a smaller (less conspicuous) carrying case?

Instead of going through all that crap buy a Guitar case/bag and put the rifle in there, and lock the zippers. [grin]

-Mike

But once he gets a guitar case, he'll have to get a Thompson to put in it...

Lots of thngs fit in guitar cases. Once Trap125+ (formerly MisterHappyJr) and I were at another club, and someone saw us and said, "hey....you're musicians that play at Southborough, anen't you?"

[laugh]

Concealed [in plain sight] means concealed......

I have a new aersinal with a folding stock.I bought from a dealer new in ma that said it is ma complaince.
can you have a folding stock in ma??I am getting conflicting answers...

Oh an arsenal Folding stock. It would depend on what gun you installed this stock on and the date of manufacture.

ETA: did you buy the whole gun new?

just a pistol grip

I would say the folding stock is a no go. See bold.

Background:
What is the MA AWB?

The "Assault Weapons" ban in MA is almost a verbatim version of the Federal AWB that existed from 1994 - 2004.

This is how it is currently encoded in MA law:
http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/Ge...140/Section121

The "Assault Weapons" ban in MA did not expire in 2004, and a "cosmetic" bill was filed, passed, and then signed into law by romney (although it is arguable that such an extension was unecessary anyways, as the MA AWB had no sunset clause written into it to begin with. ).

How so called "Assault Weapons" are defined by the law:

Rifles:
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

how can this be sold in ma?

Where did you get it?

I would also just take off either the pistol grip or the stock until you get this squared away.

There are also many AK owners on here that have prebans that would most likely trade stocks with you. But I would have the dealer make it right.

Back
Top Bottom