• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA candidates coming up this election

OK, so we all know MA legislature stinks, and is the biggest part of the problem with our gun laws: We just can't get enough votes to repeal the bad or pass the good.

So, election time is coming up.

I was reading the "GOAL News" recently. What I see are the following contests which might make a difference. There are other contests, but they are between contestants who are basically "even" in their ratings. I am only doing Worcester and a few very notable ones. If someone else wants to do their county, have at it.

RED means we need to defeat the candidate.
GREEN means we need to support/put in the candidate.

In Worcester:

4th Worcester House
Dennis A. Rosa (B)
Justin Brooks (100%)

6th Worcester House
Peter Durant (A)
Kathleen Walker (70%)

1st Essex Senate
Timothy J Coco (D)
Kathleen A O'Connor-Ives (D)
William M. Manzi III (D)
Sam S. Meas (98%)
Shaun P. Toohey ?

8th Plymouth House
Angelo D'Emilia (A+)
Marilee KenneyHunt (INC)

2nd Middlesex House
James Arciero (A+)
Valerie Wormell (INC)

14th Middlesex House
Cory Atkins (D)
Michael J. Benn (100%)

19th Middlesex House
James R. Miceli (A+)
Douglas W.Sears (85%)

2nd Essex and Middlesex Senate
Barry R. Finegold (C)
Paul Adams (NR)
Alex J. Vispoli (94%)

1st Middlesex Senate
Eileen Donoghue (D)
James J. Buba (98%)

Middlesex and Worcester Senate
James B. Eldridge (C)
Dean J. Cavaretta (92%)

Plymouth and Barnstable Senate
Therese Murray (C)
Stephen Michael Palmer (D)
Thomas F. Keyes (100%)

Plymouth and Norfolk Senate
Robert L. Hedlund (A+)
Genevieve S. Davis (D)
Steve May (D)

2nd Suffolk Senate
Sonia Chang-Diaz (F)
Roy Owens ?

2nd Suffolk and Middlesex Senate
William N. Brownsberger (D)
Steven W. Aylward (100%)

These look like the most bang for the buck in the races here in MA for gun owners.

We really, REALLY need to push to defeat the worst of the worst and to keep the best of the best. We also need to help out the new good folks versus the old bad ones.

Good luck to all of us.

Last edited:
that list isn't updated, GOAL updated it on Tuesday, my district is below:

Second Essex and Middlesex Senate District
GOAL Rating Candidate Party Incumbent
C Barry R. Finegold D Yes
A+ Paul Adams R No GOAL Endorsed
94% Alex J. Vispoli R No

Vispoli lost yesterday

Last edited:
that list isn't updated, GOAL updated it on Tuesday, my district is below:

Second Essex and Middlesex Senate District
GOAL Rating Candidate Party Incumbent
C Barry R. Finegold D Yes
A+ Paul Adams R No GOAL Endorsed
94% Alex J. Vispoli R No

Vispoli lost yesterday

That's right, primaries were yesterday.

So if Vispoli lost, who won?

What else changes in this list? I guess that lets the focus just grow a little tighter on the important candidates. I did a phone bank at GOAL many years ago, and would gladly do one again. Waiting...

Bristol County Area: (Taunton, part of Raynham)

Senator in Congress

GOAL/NRA Rating
Candidate
Party
Incumbent
**A
Scott Brown
R
Yes
NR
Elizabeth Warren
D
No

Fourth Congressional District
GOAL/NRA Rating
Candidate
Party
Incumbent
100%
Sean Bielat
R
No
NR
Joseph P. Kennedy III
D
No

Third Bristol House District
GOAL Rating
Candidate
Party
Incumbent

A+
Shaunna O'Connell
R
Yes
GOAL Endorsed
NR
Sherry Costa-Hanlon
D
No

Bristol and Norfolk Senate District
GOAL Rating
Candidate
Party
Incumbent

A+
James Timilty
D
Yes
GOAL Endorsed
100%
Jeffrey Robert Bailey
R
No

First Bristol and Plymouth Senate District
GOAL Rating
Candidate
Party
Incumbent

A+
Michael Rodrigues
D
Yes
GOAL Endorsed

Second Bristol and Plymouth Senate District
GOAL Rating
Candidate
Party
Incumbent
C
Mark Montigny
D
Yes

First Plymouth and Bristol Senate District
GOAL Rating
Candidate
Party
Incumbent

A+
Mark R. Pacheco
D
Yes
GOAL Endorsed

Second Plymouth and Bristol Senate District
GOAL Rating
Candidate
Party
Incumbent
B
Thomas P. Kennedy
D
Yes

To find your District

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/eledist/distidx.htm

I guess now that the primaries are over, GOAL needs to redo their chart. Once that is done, we need to get rid of the letter grade versus percent thing, so we can have an even comparison. Once we have that, we need to find where the focus needs to go to get good candidates seated, period.

GOAL, are you reading this?

That's right, primaries were yesterday.

So if Vispoli lost, who won?

What else changes in this list? I guess that lets the focus just grow a little tighter on the important candidates. I did a phone bank at GOAL many years ago, and would gladly do one again. Waiting...

Adams Won, He'll be against Finegold

From the Statehouse News:

STATE HOUSE, BOSTON, SEPT. 7, 2012….Somebody's gotta lose.

As the national convention season and all the pomp, confetti and lofty rhetoric that comes with it gives way to debate prep and the serious business of courting swing voters, the end for some local politicians came sooner than expected.

Reps. David Torrisi, Demetrius Atsalis and Kevin Aguiar all lost in Democratic primaries on Thursday, proving that sometimes low-turnout doesn't always favor the incumbent. Aguiar lost by a gut-punching seven-vote margin to former Fall River cop Alan Silvia, who pending a recount, will coast to Beacon Hill without a general election challenger.

And as for Disco Dave Torrisi, his defeat at the hands of newcomer Diana DiZoglio, of budget-week shenanigans fame, showed how redistricting and a hard-fought door knocking campaign by a challenger can upend conventional wisdom.

"If I can quote 70s disco queen Gloria Gaynor, I will survive," Torrisi said in January 2011 after being stripped of his chairmanship by House Speaker Robert DeLeo, for what Torrisi guessed was payback for not supporting a leadership backed sales tax increase. Not this time.

Joseph Kennedy III continued his meteoric political rise by steamrolling his two Democratic opponents on the way to a showdown with Republican Sean Bielat in November, while U.S. Reps. Richard Neal and William Keating both held off challengers in newly drawn Congressional districts featuring voters who weren't in their old districts.

Is that a state or a DC rep race?

They are both important, but if we want to improve life here, we're better off focusing on state reps and sensators.

I'm gonna pick on that quote a bit; where in the constitution is the right to keep and bear arms limited to only those who have never gotten in trouble?

I was convicted of the crime of driving after suspension as a teen. Should I be a PP? [pot]

I agree that actually being in jail should be the only disqualifier for exercising your 2A rights.

My interpretation of the statement was that he was referring to people that are actually incarcerated - now that I read it again, I could very well be wrong, and will bring it up next time I bump into him in order to clarify. Having spoken with him before regarding 2A, I feel safe betting my last donut that he's much closer to the right way of looking at the issue than the wrong way.

Another good one to mention is Kevin Kuros.

When is GOAL going to put the candidate ratings front and center on their web site? Is GOAL even reading NES any more?

So, time is getting short.

Who is GOAL recommending for or against in the state, and what are they doing about it?

How about the NRA in the whole country? I guess there is a Senate race in Wisconsin. I'll guess Tommy Thompson is the one they want there.

Do these groups actually put out a plea to people to ask them to vote a certain way? How do they get this message out? Does GOAL even do phone banks any more, or has it gone the way of the robot to save costs (even though I did it as a volunteer last time... maybe the lines are cheaper?)

Anyone? Bueller? GOAL?????????????????

Great pro-gun candidate.... Chris Sheldon running against Bill Keating for Congress 9th District. Keating has an "F" rating from GOAL while Sheldon is rated at 98% off his questionaire and Sheldon sponsored a "2nd Ammendment Day" at the Carver Sportsman's Club earlier this year. Sheldon is a businessman and Keating is a lawyer(not that all lawyers are bad!!) .. who would you rather have with this economy?

Great pro-gun candidate.... Chris Sheldon running against Bill Keating for Congress 9th District. Keating has an "F" rating from GOAL while Sheldon is rated at 98% off his questionaire and Sheldon sponsored a "2nd Ammendment Day" at the Carver Sportsman's Club earlier this year. Sheldon is a businessman and Keating is a lawyer(not that all lawyers are bad!!) .. who would you rather have with this economy?

THAT's what I'm talking about!

So, now we have two races to look out for in the state. Lee in Orange, and Sheldon in Carver. This is where is starts, folks. We need to get rid of the bad, and put in the good, and focus on where it counts the most and is most workable (winnable). Keep them coming!

The Westfield residents are doing our part, incumbents Don Humason (Rep) and Mike Knapik (Senator) are both very popular and GOAL endorsed, I don't see them losing an election here until they retire.

Last edited:
The Westfield residents are doing our part, incumbents Don Humason (Rep) and Dan Knapik (Senator) are both very popular and GOAL endorsed, I don't see them losing an election here until they retire.

The question then is, "Is this something we need to spend time and resources on, or is it a sure thing?" We don't want to make an assumption and lose, but we also need to be able to target our attentions in the right places.

I have a feeling "states rights" is going to gain in importance in the coming years, and it will help to have things in the right place when this happens.

If you live in Tewksbury, Wilmington please vote for incumbent (D) Jim Miceli for State Rep. GOAL endorsed, A+. He's running against (R) Doug Sears.

Tewksbury, Dracut, Andover, Lawrence please vote for (R) Mike Adams, State Senate, with a GOAL A+ rating. He's running against incumbent (D) Sen. Barry Finegold.

Last edited:
I thought Eldridge used to be be A rated by GOAL? Has that changed? I was certainly disappointed in his vote on the repeat offender bill, and the reasoning he offered for that vote.

From GOAL News:

The NRA has released their ratings page for MA national and state level elections.

Take note, not a single incumbent candidate running for U.S. Congress is rated higher than a "C" (Senator Scott Brown) with the rest of them all receiving "F" grades. If you care about civil rights, and want to be sure that they are protected at the federal level, be sure to get out and vote this November!

Click here to browse the candidate ratings by category.

4 Days until election day.

This year we urge all GOAL members to not only do their homework in studying the different races in your district, but to get active in helping good candidates out, whether it's volunteering time, or money, every bit helps!

Please take a moment to study the House and Senate ratings pages. If you are unsure of who your current representatives are, or which district you live in, click here to go to the searchable page on the MA .gov website.

MA state Senate ratings

MA state Representative ratings

U.S. President - Congress ratings

Last edited:
From the MA Liberty Caucus, who really seem to have it together:

First - a sincere thanks to the Liberty volunteers that showed up in Worcester last weekend to canvass for Republican State Committeeman Bill McCarthy, who helped lead the fight to count the provisional ballots and seat the Liberty delegates.

I truly believe that the Liberty movement can make a strong impact at the State level, by electing real grassroots activists, and not big government, big union, big business candidates. But, the next two weeks are where the rubber meets the road.
At Dr. Ron Paul's RepubliCAN Rally, Ron Paul has asked us to work to promote Liberty principals within the Republican Party. I intend to follow his example, because, since Dr. Paul was right about monetary policy, and foreign policy, he's probably right about political theory too!

This Saturday, October 27th, I'd like to ask all the Liberty Supporters around the state to donate time to a candidate that will vote against special interests, and for the people, for Liberty.

In particular, I'd like to focus on helping two specific candidates this Saturday.
Jon Golnik is running a solid campaign for Congress against Niki Tsongas, and he has many Liberty delegates already working with him, and is committed to auditing the Federal Reserve Bank. A Ron Paul delegate, Brandon Navom, set up a phone from home system, and is asking that folks help make calls at http://www.macallfromhome.com If you have any questions - to contact Brandon at 413.652.2908, or [email protected]

If you would prefer to meet other Liberty supporters and help out in person by canvassing on Saturday, Oct 27th, there will two locations where we can simultaneously help Jon Golnik for Congress AND hand out literature for a grassroots State Rep candidate.
ANDOVER - State Representative Jim Lyons is the Dr. No of the Massachusetts State House! Jim Lyons was the ONLY State Rep to vote against the 30 Billion porked filled Massachusetts Budget. However, he needs our help in a tough election battle.

His campaign office is located (in his Barn) at 12 Highvale Lane, Andover, and I'd ask Liberty volunteers to show up and donate any time they can to help out.

HUDSON - Candidate Chuck Kuniewich has a tough battle for State Represenative, but would certainly represent the people, and not special interests on Beacon Hill. Liberty Delegate Phil Dolan is doing a tremendous job organizing for the Chuck K and Golnik campaigns, and could really use some help during the final two weeks. Please contact Phil's to help out - his email is [email protected] and cell is 978-760-2809. The Hudson office is located at 577 Main St, Hudson, MA

By focusing our efforts on a specific Congressional race, we have a great opportunity to effect the outcome positively. Likewise, we are also able to help some solid State Rep candidates and send a message that the Liberty movement is going to fight on, past the Presidential elections for good grassroots candidates across Massachusetts.

Finally - the fun part! There is an End the Fed Rally in Boston on November 24th! Hope to see you all there. Please contact Frank Capone for details - or click HERE for the Facebook event.

Disclaimer about elections and candidates - I do not agree 100% with any candidate - and you probably don't either. There are very few 'perfect' candidates, and in this case, I'd rather work to elect a candidate that will work with and listen to the Liberty movement than one led soley by special interests. You may not agree with every position of each candidate on my recommended help list, but feel free to email me directly as to why (or why not) a candidate is on the list of small government candidates to focus on. Often, it is because geographically, there is a better use of resources, or that candidate hasn't done the hard work raising money and asking for votes, or most likely, that candidate votes with leadership way too often.
Also - I certainly understand (and agree with) the non-voting argument that the lesser of two evils is still evil, but please remember that (especially in Massachusetts) politics is a complex game of coalition building, and sometimes, the Liberty movement needs to support candidates that only support Liberty 60% over a candidate that ignores Liberty. It's is up to each person to individually examine their thoughts and beliefs as to whom to vote for, and whom to help and support.

After the experience with the leadership of the MassGOP unjustly expeling many of the duly elected Liberty delegates to the RNC, it's become alot easier to determine our friends and enemies.
I'd encourage you to look at this Official Roll Call of HealthCare Price Controls before you blindly support any candidate just because they have an 'R' next to their name. Hard to believe that so many Republicans, including leadership, voted FOR big government price controls.

However, there are many new candidates, trying to run for state level offices that have indicated they will vote for small government.

Click HERE to see my expanded personal list of small government candidates to focus on. (If you don't like anyone specific on the list, just pick another.)

State Senate:
 Paul Adams, Andover, http://www.votepauladams.com
 Tom Keyes, Sandwich, http://www.votekeyes.com/
State Representative:
 Representative Nick Boldyga , Southwick, http://www.3rdhampden.com/
 Susannah Lee, Orange, http://www.lee4rep.com/
 Bill McCarthy, 508-887-6887 Worcester, http://votebillmccarthy.com/
 Representative Kevin Kuros, Uxbridge, http://www.kevinkuros.com
 Representative Steven Levy, Marlboro, http://www.stevenlevy.org/
 Rich Eustis, Medway, http://www.richeustis.com
 Walter Zenkin, Burlington, http://www.walterzenkin.org/
 Karen Rhoton, North Andover, http://www.karinrhoton.com/
 Jim Stanton, Walpole, http://www.jimstanton2012.com/
 Debra Betz, Plymouth, http://www.debrabetz.com/

These campaigns are geographically spread out, credible candidates that are polling close to victory, that need YOUR immediate help to move from 45-51% and actually win a close election! No wasting time on candidates that are longshots, or haven't raised the campaign contributions necessary, or doesn't the door knocking needed to win.
Win or lose, you will gain valuable experience, and be of assistance to other small government candidates in the future.
Also, you send a strong message that the Liberty movement is willing to participate in the political process and work for good candidates and against bad, big government candidates.

In short, if you're not active in a campaign now, please find and contact a candidate whom you like. Volunteer and let the campaign know you are a small government, Liberty activist.

Elections are short term, Revolutions are long term. The Liberty movement is stronger than any one election cycle, BUT, I cannot stress enough, that the Liberty movement MUST become politically active to be taken seriously. Please stop by the Hudson or Andover campaign offices to get involved on Oct 27th and give up a day or more for Liberty. If you have any questions - please do not hesitate to email me [email protected] or call me at 508-400-7007.

Thanks in advance for the dozen or so folks that have already volunteered, it is greatly appreciated!

In Liberty,
Bradford Wyatt
www.LibertyClubhouse.org
[email protected]

I am guessing most, if not all, of these "Liberty Candidates" are also pro RKBA. If not, please let me and Brad know!

Thanks!

Last edited:
The Westfield residents are doing our part, incumbents Don Humason (Rep) and Mike Knapik (Senator) are both very popular and GOAL endorsed, I don't see them losing an election here until they retire.

The question then is, "Is this something we need to spend time and resources on, or is it a sure thing?" We don't want to make an assumption and lose, but we also need to be able to target our attentions in the right places. .

I had lunch the other day with Rep Humason. He has a good head on his shoulders, Actually has an LTC (ALP) . and is a likeable guy.

I urge everyone to get out on election day and support our RKBA candidates!
Even if you just offer up 1/2 hour of your time to hold signs near the polling places.
If anyone is interested in helping in the 2nd Franklin, our district goes from Templeton all the way to Belchertown!

If you don't vote, Don't Bitch.

Back
Top Bottom