MA: Brockton's death rate from firearms soars

Acujeff

NES Member
http://www.enterprisenews.com/artic...news/news05.txt

Brockton's death rate from firearms soars
By Elaine Allegrini, Enterprise staff writer

Brockton's death rate from firearms is more than 2.5 times the state average and the highest in southeastern Massachusetts — a grim figure that comes as gang violence erupts among younger teens.

In Brockton the number of gun deaths was 8.5 per 100,000 population between 2003 to 2005, as compared to Fall River that had 3.1 and New Bedford that had 8.0, a report revealed.

The statistics were released Thursday, a day after federal, state and local law enforcement officers searched for caches of guns in Brockton and in the same week a 14-year-old was killed in a brazen shooting on a city street.

The slaying of Marvin Constant on Sunday was the city's fourth fatal shooting of the year.

State Department of Public Health Commissioner John Auerbach released the findings, based on 2003-2005 statistics, during a meeting in Fall River Thursday.

Later, he told The Enterprise that the report and public input will be used to establish priorities for the department as Gov. Deval Patrick's administration restores funding that had been dramatically reduced in past years.

The award last week of a grant to Brockton Hospital for the treatment of victims of violence is one example of change, he said.

The hospital is getting $100,000 to hire personnel to assist victims of violent crime treated in its emergency department.

The focus will be on counseling victims in addition to providing medical treatment, he said.

The report compares Brockton, the largest community in southeastern Massachusetts with a population of 100,366, to the cities of Fall River and New Bedford.

Moises Rodrigues, community outreach director for Mayor James E. Harrington, said the report is not alarming.

“If we have the largest population, we're going to have the largest everything,” he said.

But, Rodrigues said, even one death is too many.

“That's unfortunately one of the things we're struggling with, trying to get guns off the streets,” he said.

The state health study also found that Brockton's HIV mortality rate is significantly higher than the state's rate.

The report includes information on the high incidence of deaths from cancer and heart disease in southeastern Massachusetts and an increase in obesity.

Auerbach said all these issues are on the table to be addressed.

Additional resources, he said, will be directed to opiate abuse through a three-pronged approach:

*Increased education in schools.

*More financial assistance and access to care for drug abusers.

*Innovative efforts to avert overdoses by providing education and medication.

Auerbach said tobacco control programs need to be restored and

he sees the need to concentrate on the rapidly growing problem of obesity.

“A lot of evidence shows us that supports in the community, like nutrition and exercise, are more effective in treating these conditions,” he said.

LETTER TO THE EDITOR
SUBMISSION FORM
http://dns.blindergroup.com/southof...rprise/letters/

Additional resources, he said, will be directed to opiate abuse through a three-pronged approach:

*Increased education in schools.

*More financial assistance and access to care for drug abusers.

*Innovative efforts to avert overdoses by providing education and medication.

Auerbach said tobacco control programs need to be restored and he sees the need to concentrate on the rapidly growing problem of obesity.

“A lot of evidence shows us that supports in the community, like nutrition and exercise, are more effective in treating these conditions,” he said.

LETTER TO THE EDITOR
SUBMISSION FORM
http://dns.blindergroup.com/southof...rprise/letters/

Could someone please explain to me what in the hell tobacco control and obesity treatment have to do with anything? Is this just another excuse to grab more of your tax dollars in MA?

I know I'm being picky but it bugs that **** out of me when these tools say
we have to "get the guns off the street". It makes it sound like these things
are lying around and go off intentionally, killing people. Why don't they call it
like it is, gang bangers and druggies killing gang bangers and druggies with
guns? The guns aren't illegal, the users are breaking the law, dammit! Even
if guns were illegal. what are you going to do, arrest and prosecute a gun for
being illegal? Geesh, what a pack of idiots!

Brockton's death rate from firearms is more than 2.5 times the state average and the highest in southeastern Massachusetts — a grim figure that comes as gang violence erupts among younger teens.

In Brockton the number of gun deaths was 8.5 per 100,000 population between 2003 to 2005, as compared to Fall River that had 3.1 and New Bedford that had 8.0, a report revealed.

The statistics were released Thursday, a day after federal, state and local law enforcement officers searched for caches of guns in Brockton and in the same week a 14-year-old was killed in a brazen shooting on a city street.

Yeah, because gangs always buy their guns legally.

The focus will be on counseling victims in addition to providing medical treatment, he said.

Victim counseling and medical treatment - two things that take place AFTER someone gets their ass shot. And, this is supposed to lower the gun crime rate how, exactly?

It's like fighting obesity by introducing a new line of "stretchy pants".

These people are all certifiably nuts.

“That's unfortunately one of the things we're struggling with, trying to get guns off the streets,” he said.

The state health study also found that Brockton's HIV mortality rate is significantly higher than the state's rate.

The report includes information on the high incidence of deaths from cancer and heart disease in southeastern Massachusetts and an increase in obesity.

yea, must be the guns. Guns shooting people. Guns causing cancer. Guns being used to inject heroin and passing HIV. Guns loaded with Trans-Fat bullets. Guns loaded with french fries. It's the darn guns... gotta get 'em off the street.

mAss Backwards said:
Victim counseling and medical treatment - two things that take place AFTER someone gets their ass shot. And, this is supposed to lower the gun crime rate how, exactly?

It's like fighting obesity by introducing a new line of "stretchy pants".

These people are all certifiably nuts.
+1

They want empirical evidence, so here's some they just provided:
  • Brockton is part of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts;
  • it has the same gun laws as the rest of Massachusetts;
  • since we're told that "guns move freely" across state boarders, there's no sane reason to think that city boarders pose a greater impediment;
  • it is within easy commuting distance of Boston and the rest of central/south eastern Massachusetts so it has roughly the same employment opportunities.
In spite of these similarities, it has a significantly higher violent crime rate. Why? Well, it can't be gun laws or the "availability of guns", since there are no differences there. Neither can employment opportunities be the reason. So it must be something else. Perhaps it has something to do with the people who live there and their attitudes about what constitutes acceptable behavior.

Ken

Broketon

A few years ago I went into the Brocton County Courthouse to do a job. The fellow at the courthouse that I was meeting asked me if I was carrying a gun. I told him No.

He replyed that next time I come back that I should have one. Its a dangeous place.

He also told me not to come at night if I could avoid it.

Funny: I went to lunch at the Homey Towne Barfett and I was the only customer without nose rings and prison tattoos.

sooty.jpg

A few years ago I went into the Brocton County Courthouse to do a job. The fellow at the courthouse that I was meeting asked me if I was carrying a gun. I told him No.

He replyed that next time I come back that I should have one. Its a dangeous place.

He also told me not to come at night if I could avoid it.

Yeah, only try and get the a**h*** chief in Brockton to issue an unrestricted lic.

mother effin' liberal lap dog prick.

sorry if I sound bitter, just blows my mind that these are the sme a**h***s that will tell you when you apply, "Your chances of getting attacked and needing to defend yourself are pretty slim anyway."

WELL APPARENTLY THEY ARE A LOT BETTER THEN IN MOST PLACES a**h***S!!!!!!

Ever notice that whenever you see these serious "gun" crime stories, both the shooters and the victims are all under the age of 21, and thus can not legally even touch a firearm* except under very controlled and supervised circumstances.

Yet....

It Must be the guns.....

Not out of control kids. Excuse me, Creatures. Kids are far more civilized.

Just imagine the media uproar if the police actually did start picking up these creatures and throwing them into prison where they belong. Not Juvenile Detention, but full blown hard time prison.

"They are throwing our babies behind bars like wild animals"
"Stray dogs treated better than stray youths"
etc...

It would be a liberal lovefest of the highest order and Lil' Killa would put on a puppy face and all the clueless would cry.

No wonder the chief doesn't want carry permits. Heaven forbid one of these kids is treated like the creature they are and the chief is dragged into court to explain just how an adult can be justified in shooting it.

-----------------------------------------------
*Firearm as defined by MA law is "pistol".

I had a 60ish year old friend who lived in Brockton. He was sitting at a traffic light and ended up with a bullet hole in his leg. He doesn't know why. One minute his leg is fine, next minute there's a hole in his car door and his leg.

The liberal mindset of these big city CLEO's is that the more crime we have the more the people need us. More crime, bigger budgets, more cops, more OT. With that in mind, why would they issue permits?

Ever notice it's the small towns that are the most realistic about issuing permits?

The report compares Brockton, the largest community in southeastern Massachusetts with a population of 100,366, to the cities of Fall River and New Bedford.

One of my pet hates about these sort of statistics. A town has a population of 100,000. In one year, or in a neighboring similar sized town, there are let's say 4 shootings. In the next year there are 8....this, according to the media, equates into a 100% increase in shooting deaths. Of course all that might have occured is a single incident (perhaps a single murder/suicide). Not saying that's the case here as I don't know the town. It's just that these statistics can sometimes be meaningless without knowing the context.

I had a 60ish year old friend who lived in Brockton. He was sitting at a traffic light and ended up with a bullet hole in his leg. He doesn't know why. One minute his leg is fine, next minute there's a hole in his car door and his leg.

The liberal mindset of these big city CLEO's is that the more crime we have the more the people need us. More crime, bigger budgets, more cops, more OT. With that in mind, why would they issue permits?

Ever notice it's the small towns that are the most realistic about issuing permits?

I know... unfortunately when we were house shopping, those small towns with realistic permits had very un-realistic home pricing.

Now don't get me wrong. I have lived in Brockton for 31 1/2of my 33 years. I live in a very nice area. But I still travel through the other areas at least once a week.

One of my pet hates about these sort of statistics. A town has a population of 100,000. In one year, or in a neighboring similar sized town, there are let's say 4 shootings. In the next year there are 8....this, according to the media, equates into a 100% increase in shooting deaths. Of course all that might have occured is a single incident (perhaps a single murder/suicide). Not saying that's the case here as I don't know the town. It's just that these statistics can sometimes be meaningless without knowing the context.

what they also neglect to say is that of those that occured, it is likely that only 25% of them are solved, leaving the other 75% of the shooters on the loose... thus causing more shootings and committing more crimes.

Maybe if they would just catch these morons and lock them up, they would see a decrease in crime.

Mayor Harrington is a jackass. Yunits was doing a great job bringing the city back but moved on. Harrington is just another version of mubbles... But I don't think he will last long. Most are not happy with him.

I use to be able to carry my gun to all the courthouses when I was working.

One day I went in to the Middlesex county courthouse in Cambridge and they told me I had to check my gun in.

It didn't bother me until I had to take it off and hand it to a women clerk who held it with 2 fingers and put in a unlocked file cabinet next to her. She promised me that she wouldn't leave the area.

When I came back she handed me back a model 37, I said that's not mine. She said oh let me see if I can find yours what color is it?

I had to go look in the drawer and pick it out. Their had to be 20 guns in the drawer.

Now a days they won't even let you check it in.

The courthouses where I have to disarm all had a VERY small quantity (4-8) of gun lockers. They never touched the gun, I put it in the locker and took the key. At least one court had a form you needed to fill out with the S/N, etc. Glad I didn't have my Wife's S&W 64 . . . the S/N is under the grip and you need a screwdriver to remove it. If that ever were to happen, I'd just use the "assembly number" in the crane. [Note: At one time the S/N was only put on the bottom of the grip and an assembly number in the crane. They changed that in recent years and the S/N is in the crane of newly made S&Ws.]

I suspect that the small quantity of lockers and the file drawer full of random loaded guns is probably why they will only check LE guns and tell everyone else "sorry".

I use to be able to carry my gun to all the courthouses when I was working.

One day I went in to the Middlesex county courthouse in Cambridge and they told me I had to check my gun in.

It didn't bother me until I had to take it off and hand it to a women clerk who held it with 2 fingers and put in a unlocked file cabinet next to her. She promised me that she wouldn't leave the area.

When I came back she handed me back a model 37, I said that's not mine. She said oh let me see if I can find yours what color is it?

I had to go look in the drawer and pick it out. Their had to be 20 guns in the drawer.

Now a days they won't even let you check it in.

oh that is sad...

"Let me see... ooh that one looks nice... yup, that is mine."

I suspect that the small quantity of lockers and the file drawer full of random loaded guns is probably why they will only check LE guns and tell everyone else "sorry".

I've never checked mine and never will. I have Jury duty in Aug and I'll be carrying then too.

Back
Top Bottom