MA AWB Question regarding "AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE"

Wow, This was a question I posed to a firearms attorney about this and AOW (shotgun) WRT possession and his answer was "It's not a pistol"

Shotguns are a whole other ball of wax, potentially.... but if you take a strict reading of the law, since an SBR doesn't meet MA's definition of a rifle, it better fits "firearm".

-Mike

Shotguns are a whole other ball of wax, potentially.... but if you take a strict reading of the law, since an SBR doesn't meet MA's definition of a rifle, it better fits "firearm".

-Mike

Got it, However I still would rather have a loaded pistol in my vehicle than an SBR if I got pulled over.

Got it, However I still would rather have a loaded pistol in my vehicle than an SBR if I got pulled over.

I think in MA with a LEO that doesn't know the law, an AR pistol and an SBR would be equally as bad, "ZOMG it looks sorta like a rifle and its eeevil and extra killy!" etc. If total risk aversion is the watchword of the day for someone, "None of the above" would be my choice.

-Mike

If total risk aversion is what someone is aiming for... and you live in MA... turn your firearms in and become a sheep. You can never avoid risk while carrying in these commie states.

I think in MA with a LEO that doesn't know the law, an AR pistol and an SBR would be equally as bad, "ZOMG it looks sorta like a rifle and its eeevil and extra killy!" etc. If total risk aversion is the watchword of the day for someone, "None of the above" would be my choice.

-Mike

Last edited:
I sent Jason an email and he had no helpful legal advice.

Still waiting to find out what ATF Mike figured out.

Last edited:
Made some MASSIVE headway today! I contacted the Attorney Generals Office, they referred me to the Executive Office of Public Safety, they referred me to the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services, they referred me to the Massachusetts Firearm Records Bureau, who referred me to the ATF who transferred me to NSA, who transferred me to the guy with the answers... and I got his voicemail.

All the tards at the state level kept saying IANAL and I was like I KNOW! I am not looking for legal advice... I am asking for an explanation of your SHITTY LAWS!

I then called up the Boston ATF office and after getting bounced around a little bit, I was connected with Mike. Mike, who I am sure was preoccupied as he was out on the road, seemed to give a genuine interest to my question... You can pin a muzzle brake to make it MA compliant, you can pin a stock to make it MA compliant, can you pin a magazine to make it MA compliant? He gave me his name and number and asked me to call back in the morning.

I will tackle the Bullet Button at a later point.. Want to establish the basics first.

The state isn't giving you an answer for a reason. The ATF's opinion doesn't mean a thing.

I like that you're thinking outside the box, but the bottom line is this: if you someone wants to make a stink about your AR-pistol (legal or not) they will. I'm not advocating breaking the law, but their hoops are literally impossible to jump through.

The FRB referred me to the ATF and stated that what they have to say in the matter goes. So when I get info back from the ATF I will get the FRB to sign off on it and ill be good.

At that point if some db leo wants to put up a stink, I will have the paperwork to tell them to **** themselves.

The state isn't giving you an answer for a reason. The ATF's opinion doesn't mean a thing.

I like that you're thinking outside the box, but the bottom line is this: if you someone wants to make a stink about your AR-pistol (legal or not) they will. I'm not advocating breaking the law, but their hoops are literally impossible to jump through.

You'll never receive any signed off documentation from FRB stating that something is legal. They just won't do it.

But if you prove me wrong, I'd like to see you post the letter (PDF) up here for everyone's benefit.

The FRB is sending you on a wild goose chase.

The ATF has no say on the legality of an AR pistol in MA. So even if you are able to obtain a letter from the ATF, it will hold no weight in MA. The FRB will not and does not give firearms related legal opinions. Think of what the 'R' stands for. That's what they do.

I hope you are able to get it though and I would love to see a state agency maintain a position on their retarded laws.

It is only a wild goose chase if I come up empty handed.

Okay.. So who is responsible for explaining and defining MGL?

The FRB is sending you on a wild goose chase.

The ATF has no say on the legality of an AR pistol in MA. So even if you are able to obtain a letter from the ATF, it will hold no weight in MA. The FRB will not and does not give firearms related legal opinions. Think of what the 'R' stands for. That's what they do.

I hope you are able to get it though and I would love to see a state agency maintain a position on their retarded laws.

There isn't any one particular entity in MA. EOPS might say something but its not legally binding. The AG won't say a ****ing thing to you, her office has a "feed them shit and keep them in the dark" policy on gun issues, so you'll only ever get a shitty form letter back from the AG's office that basically says that.

So in other words, "good luck with that".

-Mike

It is only a wild goose chase if I come up empty handed.

Okay.. So who is responsible for explaining and defining MGL?

Well, EOPS CLAIMS to be, even though they don't have the legal authority to do so. And their very vehement current claim is far-reaching, adding words to MGL ("in Massachusetts") that aren't there and sticking by their claims that not only do so-called AWs AND hi-cap mags have to have been IN MASSACHUSETTS ON 9/13/1994 (note: not before, but actually present in-state ON that date), but further that their transfer at any time to anybody is totally illegal! [See FRB memo (which I now know was endorsed/motivated by EOPS Legal Dept) that is unsigned/undated, posted on GOAL website.]

No, I would not ask their opinion on anything to do with MGL. They seem to have forgotten their role in gov't and hell-bent on "making law" to suit their agenda.

There isn't any one particular entity in MA. EOPS might say something but its not legally binding. The AG won't say a ****ing thing to you, her office has a "feed them shit and keep them in the dark" policy on gun issues, so you'll only ever get a shitty form letter back from the AG's office that basically says that.

So in other words, "good luck with that".

-Mike

Not only this, but I recently learned that apparently even city/town gov't entities can't get a ruling on anything gun-related out of the AG's office. Allegedly any such request won't be honored unless made by another state agency.

ATF Mike got back to me.. he is still looking into it. It seems that everyone he talks seems to be the offspring of retarded apes (my words, not his).

Last edited:
No. I just have not followed up with anyone. This is low on my priority list right now.

Thou I have pretty much already decided to build an AR pistol with an 80%er and a welded on preban magazine.

I assume you hit a dead end on this?

I decided that welding was a dumb idea. I finally got the letter out requesting BATFE paperwork on their definition of stuff regarding AR pistols and "detachable" magazines. Once I get that back I will be taking it to the state as they said that they follow the BATFE definitions.

As gay as it is, I will be putting a bullet button on it as that complies with the Federal definition of a non-detachable magazine.

I know this is not a solution to the MA shit!

I have pretty much already decided to build an AR pistol with an 80%er and a welded on preban magazine.

So the BATFE got back to me regarding their definition of a detachable magazine.. They did not and do not have one on the books.

I am following up with the AGO again.

Back
Top Bottom