• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1A scout squad

I'm strongly favoring this as my next purchase... Interested to hear how you make out!

got price quoted at 1500 today for walnut stock, fiberglass is about 100 bucks cheaper

- - - Updated - - -

^nevermind guys, found all i need, all 2 hours of it^

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a MA dealer with a wide range of the M1A rifles who can knowledgeably walk me through the pros and cons of each model relative to my expected use and objectives?

North Shore Firearms had a few a while back

30Mauser:

I'm going to be busy for the next few weeks, but in late Sept. or early Oct. you can shoot M1A loaded. It's a fullsize model. Bring 7.62 NATO rounds and we can meet at Harvard Sportsmen's. I can also bring a FAL and an AR10.

ETA: And I'll bring my cleaning kit so you can me clean them. [laugh]

I love my M1A SS
scope003.jpg

scope004.jpg

North Shore Firearms had a few a while back
Good to know... if only that wasn't a full day's journey... [grin]

30Mauser:

I'm going to be busy for the next few weeks, but in late Sept. or early Oct. you can shoot M1A loaded. It's a fullsize model. Bring 7.62 NATO rounds and we can meet at Harvard Sportsmen's. I can also bring a FAL and an AR10.

ETA: And I'll bring my cleaning kit so you can me clean them. [laugh]
In! Let's keep in touch and target a weekend as it gets closer... thank you!!

What exactly is the scout squad's designed used for? Is it for a more powerful carbine instead of a M4?

I know we had snipers using the full size M14, and I carried one regularly while I was in the Navy. So I am just curious as to the intended purpose of it. BTW, I like the M1A SS, especially is the arctic camo. Very badass looking.

What exactly is the scout squad's designed used for? Is it for a more powerful carbine instead of a M4?

I know we had snipers using the full size M14, and I carried one regularly while I was in the Navy. So I am just curious as to the intended purpose of it. BTW, I like the M1A SS, especially is the arctic camo. Very badass looking.
Yes, the M4 is chambered for 5.56 NATO ammo. M1A are, like the M14, chambered for 7.62 NATO ammo. Heavier round, longer range effectiveness and accuracy. (On the downside, you can hump fewer rounds per pound than you can with 5.56). I'm kind of a 30 caliber fan...

ETA: Here's the wikipedia article delineating the differences between the M1, M14 and M1A

Last edited:
...knowledgeably walk me through the pros and cons of each model relative to my expected use and objectives?

dude, you can totally say "POU's" bro, you wont out yourself too bad... haha

this is my loaded m1a with leupy mk 4 lrt, love it but i want a good short hunting/go time rifle in 7.62. was going to get an FAL but 2 m1a's = redundancy

524033_10151116058847018_2146867892_n.jpg

382077_10150484927452018_1010493674_n.jpg

382669_10150524222377018_60272031_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the M4 is chambered for 5.56 NATO ammo. M1A are, like the M14, chambered for 7.62 NATO ammo. Heavier round, longer range effectiveness and accuracy. (On the downside, you can hump fewer rounds per pound than you can with 5.56). I'm kind of a 30 caliber fan...

ETA: Here's the wikipedia article delineating the differences between the M1, M14 and M1A

My question was about the SS M1A and what is was designed for at a carbine length. More of a close quarters rifle?

Got one with an Ultimak rail and an Aimpont CompML3 on it. Love it. But the Op rod is out of spec (commercial SAI) and it is wearing badly on the bottom. I need to file it down and have it reparked. The only other thing I can say is that the compensator gives it a wicked boom, anyone standing to the left or right of you is going to feel the blast wave. It's much more severe than a standard M1A, but the compensator works very well for followup shots. I just wish it had USGI parts...

My question was about the SS M1A and what is was designed for at a carbine length. More of a close quarters rifle?
The scout has an intermediate length barrel, making is more compact for close quarters (but not as much as the SOCOM) without sacrificing much velocity or accuracy. I think it is a very good compromise as the Standard is a bit long for my likes. The scope is mounted with long eye relief (don't like scopes generally) Without it it's actually called a bush model.

Here's mine right after I removed the E-2 stock. The bipod is gone now too. Both traded for a little custom work.

M1A.jpg

Hey, fellas...I don't want to get PowerJoker6.0's thread sideways, but I've been researching the M1A myself and kind of had it in my head to go with the Loaded model. Presuming I can only have one jack of all trades M1A, which model would you all opt for--the standard or the SS?

PowerJoker6.0 -- when get your SS and have both in your bag, which one do you think you take when there's only room for one in the lifeboat?

The M1A SS you guys have been posting pics of--hmm--that's just a damn fine looking rifle! I'm saving my pennies.

so the woman was working today, so me and the pup went on a little shopping spree, got myself a wicked nice matching numbers hex receiver mosin, and ordered the scout squad in walnut. CAN NOT WAIT.

LOL busted! [smile] Nice rifle!

haha OUTTED! takes one to know one "dude"

Hey, fellas...I don't want to get PowerJoker6.0's thread sideways, but I've been researching the M1A myself and kind of had it in my head to go with the Loaded model. Presuming I can only have one jack of all trades M1A, which model would you all opt for--the standard or the SS?

PowerJoker6.0 -- when get your SS and have both in your bag, which one do you think you take when there's only room for one in the lifeboat?

The M1A SS you guys have been posting pics of--hmm--that's just a damn fine looking rifle! I'm saving my pennies.

no worries about the thread man all threads on any forum about M1A's turn into a picture posting love fest, people who own these guns are obsessed with them and will whore out pics of them out at any given opportunity. my first M1A was the loaded with wood stock. loved it, absolutely loved it with iron sights. then one day i decided to put a scope on it... now dont get me wrong, i love it with the scope, its accurate as hell and i think it looks awesome, but if i had to have only one M1A, i would take the scope off the loaded and keep it iron sights. these guns arent designed to be used with a scope, it ruins the cheek weld. i love my loaded rifle, and the cheek pad i got (TNVC mod 0) works fine, but its a pain in the ass, another issue is the weight. loaded with 20 rounds it probably weighs all of 15lbs. also, it is a pain to quickly take the scope off. so instead of taking my nice scope off and shelving it, i opted to get another rifle to have as a iron sights hunting or "WROL" (30mauser) gun that i can throw over the shoulder and hump around comfortably all day. if my house was on fire and i could only grab one gun, i would probably just chill in the house and burn with them both lol. love these guns that much.

haha OUTTED! takes one to know one "dude"

... i opted to get another rifle to have as a iron sights hunting or "WROL" (30mauser)

... if my house was on fire and i could only grab one gun, i would probably just chill in the house and burn with them both lol. love these guns that much.
Dude, you're killing me! [rofl] stop it now or I'll get out my talking points!!

This thread is awesome, but I need me some trigger time with 'em... I'm leaning M1A SSt with synthetic stock and a red dot.

Back
Top Bottom