• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1A scout squad

This thread has me hot for one now, too. No to decide between the Full length or SS. Choices, Choices.

Oh man, how bad is it that the mailman just dropped a check for a couple grand in my mailbox from the sale of some stock options?? Not to get off-topic, but as much of a woody as I have for the M1A, I could also consider something with a pistol grip in 7.62 NATO... Any thoughts on comparisons between the M1A SST and the PTR-91? (just 'cause I noticed it in fivepak's avatar...)

Oh man, how bad is it that the mailman just dropped a check for a couple grand in my mailbox from the sale of some stock options?? Not to get off-topic, but as much of a woody as I have for the M1A, I could also consider something with a pistol grip in 7.62 NATO... Any thoughts on comparisons between the M1A SST and the PTR-91? (just 'cause I noticed it in fivepak's avatar...)

i dont have much experience with them. like i said i was going to get an FAL but the nicer ones are specifically banned here in CT. i think a lot of people prefer the ergonomics of the M14 to the FAL/HK but its all personal preference. you could definitely try mine out sometime if your up for the drive.

Another picture for the Lovefest:

P4241031.jpg

I personally wouldn't buy a new Springfield M1A. I've seen too many with issues and heard about too many problems. I was looking at one a while ago at a shop an notice 'something' was off... as did the gun smith there. We popped the action out of the stock and found the the receiver was warped.

Anyway, if it were me I'd order an LRB... and I may some day... to add to the herd.

7.62mm forged receiver I built with all H&R parts.
Pre-ban SEI forged receiver with med.weight SEI barrel and all SEI parts except a NOS USGI SA trigger group.
Pre-ban Armscorp all USGI parts in a Vltor stock
IMG_0552.jpg

and the 7.62mm in a WhamoCamo USGI glass stock with Millett scope.
IMG_0648.jpg

I'm contemplating re-barreling the 7.62 with an 18" tube.
Love the M14 platform! [smile]

Last edited:
got price quoted at 1500 today for walnut stock, fiberglass is about 100 bucks cheaper

- - - Updated - - -

^nevermind guys, found all i need, all 2 hours of it^

Jebus, he is 5 minutes into the "review" without saying anything and still yapping about how he doesn't have time...

I can't even finish his reviews in the background while I do other things, just too tedious. [laugh]

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally wouldn't buy a new Springfield [smile]

There are obviously reports of issues, not surprising due to the number of rifles SAI sells and the fact they have run out of gi parts.

But, they hav a great life time warranty. Of course this doesn't help you if you are in harms way, but no M1A or M 14 would be my first choice in that situation anyways.

There are obviously reports of issues, not surprising due to the number of rifles SAI sells and the fact they have run out of gi parts.

But, they hav a great life time warranty. Of course this doesn't help you if you are in harms way, but no M1A or M 14 would be my first choice in that situation anyways.

The one I had did have issues. Once I bought some USGI parts for the bolt all issues disappeared.

My feeling about lifetime warranties is this; They are offered either because the product is so good the warranty will seldom be used or, the product is questionable enough that it is the only way to attract customers.

Depending on the harm presented, an M14 might be my first choice.

Last edited:
I have had no issues of usability with my SAI Squad Scout. That said, the op rod is out of spec so its been peening and will eventually wear itself in. My standard SAI is almost all USGI parts but the receiver bridge is not cut properly and while a minor issue, I'm going to have a gunsmith fix it eventually (or send it back to SAI). I got both weapons at a very good price, both NIB at very good discounts. If I was not looking at the discounts, I would go with an LRB.

I recommend LRB Arms, but of course it isn't an M1A then! Top notch quality, and the only forged receivers still made.

as parts wear on my SA i will probably replace them with LRB parts, but i think thats going to be a long time from now. realistically, your average M1A owner isnt going to shoot one of these rifles nearly enough to justify the added price for the added ruggedness. with the price of 7.62 ammo its just to expensive to shoot them that much.

bought this thing on september first, its backordered. i called springfield today and was told i could have to wait up to 6 months!

Back
Top Bottom