M1A™ SOCOM 16 CQB RIFLE

Well, uh, we need some more information. What role will it fill for you? Are you open to suggestions for similar rifles instead? Or do you have your mind pretty much made up and you just want to hear from other owners of Springfield Armory M1As?

I have a Tanker. It is basically a Socom in a wood stock and no scout rail. It is fun to shoot but it does have drawbacks. The main drawback is the width of the front site and the fact it can't be replaced with a thinner one easily. So accuracy does suffer a bit. It is a handy rifle but too heavy to hunt with IMHO. I did put a scout rail on mine and use an aimpoint. It is fast on target. The other issue is you are losing velocity. I have a duplicated factory reload (PMC 150 gr). I get just about 2700 fps out of my 22in M1A and about 2500 fps out of the 16 in barrel.

I am looking to do some range time at 300 with it. I like the looks of it and it has some excellent reviews on line

For 300 yds you will need a scout scope for sure. I would suggest quick release rings as well.

I should add I shoot at 50, 75 and 100 most of the time. I have shot it out to 200 a couple times as well. Nothing further.

I am looking to do some range time at 300 with it. I like the looks of it and it has some excellent reviews on line
Theres probably better rifles for 300 yards.
If your punching paper or hunting steel the 22” standard M1a will give you a longer sight radius. If your planning to scope it get what makes you happy. With in reason of the M1a platform.
The M1a “can” shoot well but 3 moa is a good standard.
Those with M1a that shoot sub moa come smoke our asses at the next CMP match in pembroke Ma
Sept 11 830am

The published eye relief is 9.3".

The scope is a Leupold FX-II Scout 2.5x28 (discontinued).
within those 9.3" - what is the eye box where reticle is fully visible?
ok, is it ok to shoot it both standing up and prone with the scope sitting that far in front? do you see the reticle unobstructed both ways - prone and offhand standing up?

I should add I shoot at 50, 75 and 100 most of the time. I have shot it out to 200 a couple times as well. Nothing further.
CQB and 300 yards seems contradictory. CQB would be more like 25, maybe 50 yards, yes/no ?

within those 9.3" - what is the eye box where reticle is fully visible?
ok, is it ok to shoot it both standing up and prone with the scope sitting that far in front? do you see the reticle unobstructed both ways - prone and offhand standing up?
The low magnification gives it a very generous eye box.

I've never noticed any trouble with seeing the reticle in prone or from standing.

Scope shadow doesn't show up until the reticle is near the extreme edge of the tube.

I have a SOCOM II and it’s a great rifle. Not really fair to call it a CQB when it has a 16” barrel. It’s accurate enough but for more accuracy, an AR10 will be better money spent. Just picked up a Sig 716i Tread for $1500. I threw an Aimpoint PRO on my M1A SOCOM since magnification isn‘t really necessary with it inside 300 yards.

The combination in one sentence of CQB and a .308 seems contradictory.
^ agree.

I don’t really like the idea of a 308 with a 16 inch barrel for any practical purposes. And they’re a bit heavier than a good ar-10, and probably less accurate.

But m1a’s are just plain cool, so there’s that. You can’t argue against cool-factor.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, I only own pistols. :rolleyes:

But m1a’s are just plain cool, so there’s that. You can’t argue against cool-factor.
cool as hell, but, at $2k price - why the heck would one do that? last 308 ar10 i made was under $1k for me.

cool as hell, but, at $2k price - why the heck would i do that? last 308 ar10 i made was under $1k for me.
Personally, I’ll build a couple ar-15’s or similar and an ar-10 long before I’ll get around to an m1a.

An m1a is a collectible / range toy in my book. Not that it would be ineffective for home defense or fighting off a Chinese invasion etc etc, lol, it’s just not at the top of the list on pretty much any metric.

My philosophy is to buy all of the practical defensive firearms Id want first, then buy the cool stuff second. If I had that covered and had cash to burn, heck yeah I’d buy an m1a. I don’t know where the OP is in their journey though.

Personally, I’ll build a couple ar-15’s or similar and an ar-10 long before I’ll get around to an m1a.

An m1a is a collectible / range toy in my book. Not that it would be ineffective for home defense or fighting off a Chinese invasion etc etc, lol, it’s just not at the top of the list on pretty much any metric.

My philosophy is to buy all of the practical defensive firearms Id want first, then buy the cool stuff second. If I had that covered and had cash to burn, heck yeah I’d buy an m1a. I don’t know where the OP is in their journey though.
I built up a M1a to use in cmp games. If not for that I would probably not own one

An M14 clone with polymer furniture is straight gross. I’d go with the scout 18” or a 22” model with wood stock. And if I feel this way one can imagine what the fudds think about plastic M14 clone.

An M14 clone with polymer furniture is straight gross. I’d go with the scout 18” or a 22” model with wood stock. And if I feel this way one can imagine what the fudds think about plastic M14 clone.
Well as long as its USGI fiberglass they are fine.

It says "SOCOM" so that mean todays modern SpecOps warfighters operate with it tactically and tactfully in the deadliest way possible on todays modern battlefields, especially when they are clearing rooms with regular Infantry troops.

You have to show proof of a full beard and sunglasses before you are allowed to buy it :)

If you shot one and you like it, buy it. if you never shot one, shoot one then decide whether or not you want one.

Personally I didn't like it and it seems Springfield created a void and filled it with this weapon.

Plus, take into consideration if you don't have a bunch of milsurp 308 laying around, price per pull is close to $1.00

+1 saving for a SCAR 16s and SP5. For home defense.

Back
Top Bottom