M1 Garand vs M1A1 Carbine Firearm Faceoff!

point of order......note that he opted for the carbine once hostilities were over. Ive fired a carbine.....own a garand....and used an m4 in combat. If I had to go to war again tomorrow id take the m4 of course. However.......if I were time warped to 1944 and had the choice given my experience in combat and the option of a an m1 carbine or garand........I'll take the garand. Also......terrain dictates. Open terrain or woods.....garand cuz it actually is a devastating and accurate rifle out to 400 yards. urban combat clearing buildings carbine.

You said "If I had to go to war again tomorrow". Did you fight in a war? Or did you mean like as if their was a world war 3? If so thank you for your service.

point of order......note that he opted for the carbine once hostilities were over. Ive fired a carbine.....own a garand....and used an m4 in combat. If I had to go to war again tomorrow id take the m4 of course. However.......if I were time warped to 1944 and had the choice given my experience in combat and the option of a an m1 carbine or garand........I'll take the garand. Also......terrain dictates. Open terrain or woods.....garand cuz it actually is a devastating and accurate rifle out to 400 yards. urban combat clearing buildings carbine.

Time warp to 1944 and I’ll take a 1903 Springfield. Same cartridge and a better rifle IMO. And the short stock it doesn’t bother me as much.

I don’t like the feel of most American military rifles for some reason, yet the AK and SKS, made for starving peasants seems to fit me right. WTF?

Toss in another point of view.
accuracy
the carbine was not know or even held to a high standard of accuracy.

You said "If I had to go to war again tomorrow". Did you fight in a war? Or did you mean like as if their was a world war 3? If so thank you for your service.
I spent 2 deployments in Iraq. Never saw anything close to the combat that WW2 Korea or Vietnam vets saw.....thankfully. 2 and a half years of my life on convoys in Iraq and was involved in only 2 engagements with the enemy......that was more than enough.

I won one of the Kahr/Auto Ordnance M1 Carbines in a GOAL Raffle. Sold it to someone here to fund an AR carbine project. AR is almost as light, has 30-round mags (I only had a 15 for the M1 Carbine), is more powerful, more accurate, more customizable, and actually cheaper to shoot .223/5.56 vs .30 Carbine.

The M1 Carbine was fun to shoot inside fifty or maybe 75 yards or so. Beyond that trying to hit anything at 100 yards or more with the open sights and crappy ammo lost its luster.

I'd love to have a Garand some day, but likely wouldn't shoot it much. Still building my 'arsenal' slowly and carefully. I can't really afford to 'collect' yet.

A legit Paratrooper Carbine is Worth 3-5 Garands.

Really? I found a really nice matching numbers 1944 M1A1 Paratrooper Carbine on Gun broker for 3,149. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/761907763

I know the M1 Garands locally go about 1,600. If you seen any cheaper, please let me know as i'm really in the market for one as the Garand is my dream gun by far :).

Really? I found a really nice matching numbers 1944 M1A1 Paratrooper Carbine on Gun broker for 3,149. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/761907763

I know the M1 Garands locally go about 1,600. If you seen any cheaper, please let me know as i'm really in the market for one as the Garand is my dream gun by far :).

You can buy field-grade Garands for $600-$1000 through the CMP, specials and snipers are $1000+ but often not far over. Caveat you must belong to an affiliate club, but don't worry, many clubs are. It's a little bit of luck of the draw but depending on your wallet you can hone it down to a nicer rifle based on grade. $3125 is about 3-5 Garands, unless you want a really really nice one.

You can buy field-grade Garands for $600-$1000 through the CMP, specials and snipers are $1000+ but often not far over. Caveat you must belong to an affiliate club, but don't worry, many clubs are. It's a little bit of luck of the draw but depending on your wallet you can hone it down to a nicer rifle based on grade. $3125 is about 3-5 Garands, unless you want a really really nice one.

Do you ever see any similarly priced by dealers or individuals? Or only the CMP? I know i've only stumbled accross one garand at a gun shop so far. It was 1,600 dollars. I assume they aimed high for negotiating. It was pretty great condition I must say. 600 dollars for a decent to good condition one would certainly be nice.

Do you ever see any similarly priced by dealers or individuals? Or only the CMP? I know i've only stumbled accross one garand at a gun shop so far. It was 1,600 dollars. I assume they aimed high for negotiating. It was pretty great condition I must say. 600 dollars for a decent to good condition one would certainly be nice.

There are a lot of factors with M1Gs and I'm far from an expert, but matching parts, condition, and certain manufacturers command higher pricing. Certain configurations as well. The nice thing about a gun shop / dealer is that you can see exactly what you're buying and make the choice - that, in and of itself probably raises the price compared to the CMP.

I've seen them on gunshop walls for $1000ish. I've seen them at Cabela's for $1200-1400ish.

You're an MA resident, and they're not in any way restricted; you can buy in-person out of state or have one shipped in, for the cost of your time/travel or the transfer fee.

No such thing as matching numbers on a Garand or Carbine...………………………. There is only one serial number and that is on the receiver​

Cmp service grade is $750 shipped.
Not sure why someone would buy a Garand from a shop instead of the CMP unless it was a particular year/manufacturer/etc. that they really wanted.

The savings vs. a shop would more than cover the cost to do the requirements for purchasing with plenty left over for accessories.

Not sure why someone would buy a Garand from a shop instead of the CMP unless it was a particular year/manufacturer/etc. that they really wanted.

The savings vs. a shop would more than cover the cost to do the requirements for purchasing with plenty left over for accessories.
there is no reason not to buy a cmp service grade if you just want a M1 and shoot it!

Back
Top Bottom