M1 Garand vs M1A1 Carbine Firearm Faceoff!

Hello everyone.

On such a magical amazing sun filled day, your door bell rings, you open your door to find none other than the fairy gun mother, here to present you a choice between two of the most beloved, iconic and historically sugnificent rifles to ever exist.

Guns that were at the forefront of the world's greatest conflict. Present through the fight to end Tyranny, and carried by the brave heroes of our United States Army and Marine Corps in multiple wars. :)

These very guns need no introduction as the Fairy Gun mother opens her case and presents you a choice between the glorious......

M1 GARAND

26685872_10156090627309886_4893901912437585494_o.jpg

and it's cousin

M1A1 CARBINE

17062039_1.jpg

Both guns have matching numbers, are documented pre ban to be complaint with your state, and are all original matching parts and are in relic museum quality condition.

But you can only walk away with one to put in your gun safe.

Which one of these amazing, beautiful, WW2 era wooden stock beauties would you rather have?

M1A1 Carbine's pros over the M1 Garand is the obvious one that it holds more rounds (15 to 8) is much lighter, more manageable in terms of recoil and is just more convenient in a lot of ways in combat or hunting situations.

The M1A1 Carbines cons compared to the M1 Garand is that the ammunition (.30 Carbine) is much less powerful when compared to the Garand's typical round of 30-06. At distance this would be come even much more evident with less stopping power or ability to penetrate enemy cover as well as the M1 Garand could.

Another well documented gripe is that the M1 Garand is much more reliable than the M1A1 Carbines. And while the M1A1 carbine was more munuverable and maybe more practical, the M1 Garand would often be favored by most officers and other military personel for it's rock solid quality and dependability.

With those comparisons factored in, it shows how close these two really are and are both great depending on what you are looking for. Both are a must have for any history loving gun enthusiast.

But if you could only take one, and say if you already have both. Which would you choose over the other. And why? :D.

Thanks for the discussion.

I personally would choose the M1 Garand.

for collecting, the Paratrooper carbine; for using, the Garand (Garands are a lot more available too)

I love the Garand to death but the proper answer is paratrooper carbine. If it we a choice between the regular carbine and the Garand it'd be more difficult, but in its preban SN you can still throw folding stocks and stuff on it if you wanted to.

Garand... Or one of the German guns of the same era designed to fill the same basic roles of the carbine IE the MP40 family and the StG44 family. I've always thought M1 carbines were kinda goofy and pointless and the Germans developed far better answers to the same questions.

M1 Garand.
Reason....it's a garand.
I like the M1 carbine but not enough to pick it over the Garand.

Last edited:
for collecting, the Paratrooper carbine; for using, the Garand (Garands are a lot more available too)
^This^

I have an M1 and wouldn't trade it for the world. Love shooting it.

The M1A1 is on my collecting list. One in good condition will run 5K+, but I want a Union Switch & Signal 1911 A1 first.

I went to the WW2 museum in Toccoa, Georgia last month and they had a very nice M1A1 in the exhibit.

Attachments

• IMG_20180503_155147.jpg
    IMG_20180503_155147.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 33
US&S only made a 1911 but quality hardware had some receivers made by us&s

Last edited:
Garand.

Because aught six makes my peepee tingle.

Nothing like reaching out to 600 yards with iron sights and hitting the x ring...knowing that whatever (whoever) you just hit would have dropped dead from the amount velocity still packed in the projectile at that distance.

In the spirit of full disclosure, i’ve never even seen a .30 carbine in person aside from museums. They just look silly to me. Now one in full auto might be fun to play with, but that’s about the end of what seems fun about it at their current price point.

I only have one Garand however I did just get (yet another) M1A1/Paratrooper.

Tough call but I guess M1A1 is my answer.

I think it's a matter of what you're gonna do with it. Long range/competitive/hunting go M1, plinking/varminting/defense go M1A1. You're talking $16/20rd vs $25/50rd if that changes anything. As a collectors piece, well, there aren't any M1A1s except auction items on the CMP site but there are MANY M1s for far less. I feel like the carbine is an investment with the potential for greater return.

For what it's worth the M1A1 is a ma**h***s dream for 1) preban "evil features" 2) investment value 3) cheap to shoot 4) modern-style mag release 5) preban hicaps.

I'm an unabashed M1-family fan. Truly I'd say get an M1G, an M1 carbine, and M1A, a Mini14 in 556 and 300 and a Mini30 - toss an M1-9 in for good measure.

Carbine.

Because I had a Garand and thought it was the worst piece of crap I've ever owned. Stock was too short, far too muzzle heavy, cumbersome, and just "something" that I hated. I bought into the hype that seems to have infected you all, but it didn't take. Traded for a Marlin 336 and even though I'm not in love with it, I think I still won on the trade.

Hello everyone.

On such a magical amazing sun filled day, your door bell rings, you open your door to find none other than the fairy gun mother, here to present you a choice between two of the most beloved, iconic and historically sugnificent rifles to ever exist.

Guns that were at the forefront of the world's greatest conflict. Present through the fight to end Tyranny, and carried by the brave heroes of our United States Army and Marine Corps in multiple wars. :)

These very guns need no introduction as the Fairy Gun mother opens her case and presents you a choice between the glorious......

M1 GARAN

and it's cousin

M1A1 CARBINE

i have both picked them up way back dcm guns when no one wanted then for $150 each

17062039_1.jpg

Both guns have matching numbers, are documented pre ban to be complaint with your state, and are all original matching parts and are in relic museum quality condition.

But you can only walk away with one to put in your gun safe.

Which one of these amazing, beautiful, WW2 era wooden stock beauties would you rather have?

M1A1 Carbine's pros over the M1 Garand is the obvious one that it holds more rounds (15 to 8) is much lighter, more manageable in terms of recoil and is just more convenient in a lot of ways in combat or hunting situations.

The M1A1 Carbines cons compared to the M1 Garand is that the ammunition (.30 Carbine) is much less powerful when compared to the Garand's typical round of 30-06. At distance this would be come even much more evident with less stopping power or ability to penetrate enemy cover as well as the M1 Garand could.

Another well documented gripe is that the M1 Garand is much more reliable than the M1A1 Carbines. And while the M1A1 carbine was more munuverable and maybe more practical, the M1 Garand would often be favored by most officers and other military personel for it's rock solid quality and dependability.

With those comparisons factored in, it shows how close these two really are and are both great depending on what you are looking for. Both are a must have for any history loving gun enthusiast.

But if you could only take one, and say if you already have both. Which would you choose over the other. And why? :D.

Thanks for the discussion.

I personally would choose the M1 Garand.

Carbine.

Because I had a Garand and thought it was the worst piece of crap I've ever owned. Stock was too short, far too muzzle heavy, cumbersome, and just "something" that I hated. I bought into the hype that seems to have infected you all, but it didn't take. Traded for a Marlin 336 and even though I'm not in love with it, I think I still won on the trade.
i will give that to you on the fitment of the stock for some shooters. as for value of the trade ? depends what you paid for the m1 and when you traded.
i find the same problem with the 336 the stock is to short and the drop at comb is to much.

Carbine.

The "infection" we all have for the M1 is based on the M1 being part of the greatest Army ever assembled at any time on this planet....wielded by the greatest generation of men to ever walk on this planet.....to put 30 cal ventilation holes through Soldiers that were part of the scourge of the earth hell bent on world domination.

Of course there are "better" combat rifles available today....better fit.....better capacity.....lighter......yada yada. I dont own an m1 because I think it's the greatest rifle "today"........I own it as a collector of historic value. If I only had the money to own 5-10 guns the m1 would not be in my safe......and I would never recommend an m1 garand to a new gun owner.....or for that matter any gun owner that could only afford a few guns and was just looking for "the basic" bread and butter tools for a collection. But once you have 30 guns in your collection.......one better be an m1 garand. Just sayin

I’d go for the carbine.

I just think they are a blast to shoot. Light, handy, no recoil.

And you don’t look like a complete idiot shooting it a 25-50 yards. With a Garand any target under 100 will have unburned powder all over it.

I had an IBM carbine for a long time and worked in computers. It always pissed off the liberals when I would say my IBM can kill your computer. It uses no power, does not crash and shoots 30 caliber. They’d get all indignant and smug and say “no way IBM would never make something like THAT” then they’d look it up and get all mopey and depressed..

Ah memories....

Last edited:
The "infection" we all have for the M1 is based on the M1 being part of the greatest Army ever assembled at any time on this planet....wielded by the greatest generation of men to ever walk on this planet.....to put 30 cal ventilation holes through Soldiers that were part of the scourge of the earth hell bent on world domination.

Of course there are "better" combat rifles available today....better fit.....better capacity.....lighter......yada yada. I dont own an m1 because I think it's the greatest rifle "today"........I own it as a collector of historic value. If I only had the money to own 5-10 guns the m1 would not be in my safe......and I would never recommend an m1 garand to a new gun owner.....or for that matter any gun owner that could only afford a few guns and was just looking for "the basic" bread and butter tools for a collection. But once you have 30 guns in your collection.......one better be an m1 garand. Just sayin

Meh, feelings are feelings, you can’t argue with them.

My Dad, however was a Korean War veteran, First Marines. I thought he’d be excited to see the Garand, and he wasn’t impressed much. He said that it was ok, but he liked the carbine unless they were fighting, then he wanted the BAR. Lol.

This is pure gold :). I couldn't agree more. The greatest generation to ever live marching the front lines in horrors we can never fathom in our darkest imaginations to rip the soul out of the beast that is tyranny one 30/06 bullet at time. No other group of men could display such bravery, and heroism in the face of certain death.

My golden grail, white horse dream gun is for sure a M1 Garand. It always was. I am taking my time because I want it to be right. I don't want to just throw money around at one. I want the right one to call to me and I will know when that time is. When I hold a Garand or sniff the wood of an old WW2 rifle, I almost get transported back in time. I feel the mist of the Normandy waves crashing against the U Boat, the screams, the WW2 ballad music. The cheers pouring as they came home to their wives as decorated heroes of humanity. I feel the bravery and sense of peril in the ambiance of the gun. It reeks of heritage and heroic patriotism. The M1 Garand Ping alone is like the universal sound that defines America. I can't think of Any gun cooler imo.

One day i'll get one, hopefully with ties to D-Day. I don't care how much I have to pay. But it'll be probably the proudest day of my gun adventures.

m1garand-300x225.jpg

The M1A1 was also held in the same regard in terms of being a WW2 weapon of freedom. I definitely love it very much as well.

Last edited:
I thought he’d be excited to see the Garand, and he wasn’t impressed much. He said that it was ok, but he liked the carbine unless they were fighting, then he wanted the BAR. Lol.

I believe that is called the "Weight to Death Ratio" or W : D [smile]

Last edited:
Meh, feelings are feelings, you can’t argue with them.

My Dad, however was a Korean War veteran, First Marines. I thought he’d be excited to see the Garand, and he wasn’t impressed much. He said that it was ok, but he liked the carbine unless they were fighting, then he wanted the BAR. Lol.

Funny, my dad made a similar statement. He was WWII army. During combat he had a Garand. Once the war was over he stayed overseas for 6 months as a Master Sargent. He got rid of his Garand for a carbine as soon as he could ‘so I didn’t have to carry that heavy sonofabitch around.’ His weapon of choice for combat was the M1918 water cooled MG (he was platoon Sargent for the HMG platoon of an armored infantry Bttn

Funny, my dad made a similar statement. He was WWII army. During combat he had a Garand. Once the war was over he stayed overseas for 6 months as a Master Sargent. He got rid of his Garand for a carbine as soon as he could ‘so I didn’t have to carry that heavy sonofabitch around.’ His weapon of choice for combat was the M1918 water cooled MG (he was platoon Sargent for the HMG platoon of an armored infantry Bttn
point of order......note that he opted for the carbine once hostilities were over. Ive fired a carbine.....own a garand....and used an m4 in combat. If I had to go to war again tomorrow id take the m4 of course. However.......if I were time warped to 1944 and had the choice given my experience in combat and the option of a an m1 carbine or garand........I'll take the garand. Also......terrain dictates. Open terrain or woods.....garand cuz it actually is a devastating and accurate rifle out to 400 yards. urban combat clearing buildings carbine.

Back
Top Bottom