M1 Carbines

and now I can’t get the damn bolt back together without 4 hands. Apparently there’s a tool...who knew!

I disassembled mine the night before opening day for NH deer. The extractor spring hunt lasted over an hour and by the time I got the bolt back together, I was bleeding from a few fingers and the sky was starting to lighten. I ordered a bolt tool the next day.

Update on my delivery. I had about 5 minutes to unwrap and snap a few quick pictures before I had to leave. I got a Winchester 109XXXX and an Underwood 248XXXX. They came shipped with magazines, but they didn't ship the AK47 Kit I ordered with them. (Card still hasn't been hit). Took some quick pictures with a '43 Inland. These rifles are wet with oil!
20200423_160127.jpg 20200423_160156.jpg 20200423_160456.jpg 20200423_162837.jpg 20200423_162842.jpg 20200423_162848.jpg 20200423_162858.jpg 20200423_162933.jpg 20200423_162939.jpg

NICE! Which is the one with the “I” stock?
What I did with an oily VZ24 stock was wrap it in paper towels, and put it in a black trash bag in the sun or rear window of a car. Also have put one in a plastic trash can with a 200W light.

t

What I did with an oily VZ24 stock was wrap it in paper towels, and put it in a black trash bag in the sun or rear window of a car. Also have put one in a plastic trash can with a 200W light.

t

That "I"stock looks like it was also a cut down high wood.

Update on my delivery. I had about 5 minutes to unwrap and snap a few quick pictures before I had to leave. I got a Winchester 109XXXX and an Underwood 248XXXX. They came shipped with magazines, but they didn't ship the AK47 Kit I ordered with them. (Card still hasn't been hit). Took some quick pictures with a '43 Inland. These rifles are wet with oil!
View attachment 351029View attachment 351030View attachment 351031View attachment 351038View attachment 351039View attachment 351040View attachment 351041View attachment 351042View attachment 351043

Congrats, nice score.
Winnie 109xxxxx I believe should have had a flip sight, no bayo lug, original configuration.

Is that a repro folding stock on the Inland? Sarco or Numrich

How are you going to clean it?
Bake it or boil it. Haven’t decided.

Any suggestions majspud?

Always in an appropriate location. My first thought was a large covered coffee can with some gasoline in it. Immerse and stir a couple times a day then hang outside to dry then wash in warm soapy water. Gasoline/diesel fuel has always been my go to cosmoline remover.

Heat gun will get cosmoline to run off.
For stocks, I use cheese cloth and warm sudzy water...if its really bad i will use purple power, simply green.
One of the methods here should work

The preservation of Cartouches and character should limit the use of heavy cleaning. Often dirt is the only thing keeping the Cartouche visible.
low Heat on the wood and wiping it down will get a lot of the surface crud off. Then using tung oil or blo applied and rubbed in with cheese cloth will get more surface crud off.

How soon are you guys getting your carbines from RTI?? I paid for mine on Monday and confirmed with my FFL that he faxed his paperwork to RTI Tuesday late morning. I have heard nothing since, so I don't know if the shipping notification goes to me or my dealer.

Was curious how you would do it...first thought was gasoline myself.

t[flame]
My general preference is dry heat for large and wooden items (sun, heat gun, NOT the oven), ultrasonic cleaner with some simple green for the little metal bits. Then I go to the mineral spirits, if necessary.

Cosmoline melts at 150. Doesn’t take much to get it flowing. Hell, I’ve even used a hair dryer.

Usually that is more than sufficient. But I’ve never tried to clean a sling (web or leather).

How soon are you guys getting your carbines from RTI?? I paid for mine on Monday and confirmed with my FFL that he faxed his paperwork to RTI Tuesday late morning. I have heard nothing since, so I don't know if the shipping notification goes to me or my dealer.
Mine was a week from order to receipt at my door (C&R).

Also, even though there is some cleanup required after receipt, RTI got rid of most of the storage grease. This wasn’t like some other things I’ve bought from some vendors that were swimming in Cosmoline. The carbine still needs a good cleaning and the stock will feel greasy, but it wasn’t a big deal (except getting that #%* bolt back together).

Can’t wait to shoot it!

Mine was a week from order to receipt at my door (C&R).

Also, even though there is some cleanup required after receipt, RTI got rid of most of the storage grease. This wasn’t like some other things I’ve bought from some vendors that were swimming in Cosmoline. The carbine still needs a good cleaning and the stock will feel greasy, but it wasn’t a big deal (except getting that #%* bolt back together).

Can’t wait to shoot it!

Thanks.

t
I stock is Winchester

Saturday is going to be warm, so I will try the trash bag Idea then.

Congrats, nice score.
Winnie 109xxxxx I believe should have had a flip sight, no bayo lug, original configuration.

Is that a repro folding stock on the Inland? Sarco or Numrich
I agree about the Win. It's an early SN so should have those features. To say these haven't been touched would be incorrect.
I can see clear differences between the two grade levels of the two rifles, so IMO paying the $100 for good to excellent was worth it.

And yes, the Inland has a reproduction stock on it. No clue as to where it came from. Purchased it used as it sits.

Back
Top Bottom