M1 Carbine

stosh

NES Member
Was thinking about looking for an M1 Carbine as a shooter not collectable. Have had an opportunity to have the normal variety of rifles and carbines issued to me or purchased to shoot over the years, M14, M16, M1 Garand, Mini 14, etc. The one I enjoyed shooting the most was the little M1 Carbine; understand it to be a pretty enemic round, not much power, just seemed enjoyable to shoot. Anyone have any suggestions on what manufacture to get and new vs used. Definitely not looking for anything as a collectable as I plan on shooting it, any good values out there on old ones, refurbished, any company making new reproductions of them, just looking for an original or accurate reproduction that would be a safe shooter ?

Stay away from the non GI models. They'll cost as much as a GI version and will never last like a GI. By getting a GI version you not only get a dependable rifle but one with history and one that will hold it's value.

Don't worry about which mfg GI one you get, as they're all virtually identical and all parts interchange with all brands. Some makes will cost more than others primarily because of the qty's made. Also the names sometimes bring more because of the unusual fact that a company like IBM or Rockola (the jukebox company) made them.

Like any gun, the older they are the more they tend to bring, too.

There were nearly 6 million made in about 4 years, more than anyother gun in such a period of time, so there are plenty out there.

Just look for the same things in a carbine you would in anyother used rifle and you'll get a good one. They aren't getting any cheaper so strike while the fire burns in your belly.

Use it, take care of it like you would any other gun and you'll have many many happy years together.

My early Winchester . It's my favorite shooter:

carbine.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. That is very helpful information. I did not realize there were so many made, 6 million is a large amount of one type of firearm.

BTW, If you think firing something similar to a maxxed out .357magnum round out of a rifle is a wimpy round, you're going to be surprised.

The .30 cal M1 round is quite potent at other than 300+ yard ranges. There's many many thousands of dead Japs, Koreans, Vietnamese and Germans who would agree if they could.

Nice Photos

Pilgrim, JonJ,
Extremely nice Carbines / pics; you two are making the shopping around time to find one much more difficult ! Thanks Guys.

Here's a good link from my favorite M-1 Carbine forum:

http://www.ambackforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=121207&highlight=hadley#121207

The local guy they discuss (Charles Hadley from South Portland, ME) is extremely knowledgeable about carbines. He goes to most of the New England shows - wouldn't be surprised to see him at Manchester this weekend or Marlboro at the end of the month.

I bought my 1943 Underwood from him a couple of years ago. Feel free to give him a call to discuss what you're looking for... but be prepared to be on the phone a LONG time.

KK

1. stock is cut at sling well- destroys any value.
2. should have type 3 front band with bayonet mount
3. looks like early trigger group..should have 'twist' type safety.
4. the M mag release button is probably too old for the rifle
5. made Nov 1944

I did read somewhere where there were some 'duplicated' numbers with a D mark but can't find reference to it now.

It's pretty good in that it's got mostly all W parts which is rare. I'd guess that it was assembled by someone with getting all W parts in mind because not all the parts date equally. People will 'restore' them by replacing armory swapped parts for the correct mfg parts... this is not bad.

My guess is that it's worth upwards of $650, maybe more. I'd pay that much for it. Winchesters are in the rarer category.

Pilgrim said:
My guess is that it's worth upwards of $650, maybe more. I'd pay that much for it. Winchesters are in the rarer category.
That thing is going to go over $1. It's just over $700 now and doesn't end till the 22nd.

Where's the cut in the slingwell, Pilgrim?

JonJ said:
Pilgrim said:
That thing is going to go over $1. It's just over $700 now and doesn't end till the 22nd.

Where's the cut in the slingwell, Pilgrim?

I said I think it's worth that, not what it will bring. People are going nuts over carbines now.

notice the cutout to the rear of the regular slot in the stock. Someone had trouble getting the sling/oilr back in and decided to make it easier by widening the slot at that spot.[/quote]

I'd go with the first one. I've heard good things from folks who have bought from that Jack the Dog dude and hes got a history on auction sites. Lots of gun shops wil; have M1 Carbines for sale. I got this Underwood for $450 from a local dealer.

19c106a5.jpg

341f0215.jpg

03d1e6cb.jpg

d7618ece.jpg

The crown is a little worn but it shoots ok for what I paid, plus its got character. [smile]

LenS said:
Milsurp,

Ask Jon how to figure out if it is Pica or Elite? [laugh2] [devil] [rofl] [pot]
You're a funny guy Len but Inland is a division of General Motors and they made carbines.
The 1903A3 I have is Smith Corona![smile]

Has anybody got a straight, un-screwed with WWII carbine with all the early features?
I looked one over for a friend of mine about 10 years ago. He got it for a song. Had I known he wasn't gonna hold on to it, I'd have made him an offer he could not have refused.
TACJC

Pilgrim said:
Stay away from the non GI models. They'll cost as much as a GI version and will never last like a GI. By getting a GI version you not only get a dependable rifle but one with history and one that will hold it's value.(snip)

I agree that the Plainfield/Universals weren't that hot. But I thought the Iver Johnson carbine was supposed to be 100% dimensionally compatible with the military carbines. Also, isn't IAI making a stock version of the M1 carbine?

Edit:

Did some research. IAI quit production recently, but supposedly Kahr Arms/Auto-Ordinance has started a new line.

Last edited:
JonJ said:
You're a funny guy Len but Inland is a division of General Motors and they made carbines.
The 1903A3 I have is Smith Corona![smile]

OK Jon, I know that I'm older than you are . . .

Underwood also made typewriters, back in the days of manual typewriters. Hence my wise-ass remark.

Geesh . . . gotta explain everything to you young guys! [wink]

LenS said:
OK Jon, I know that I'm older than you are . . .

Underwood also made typewriters, back in the days of manual typewriters. Hence my wise-ass remark.

Geesh . . . gotta explain everything to you young guys! [wink]
Oh I know about Underwoods, we had one when I was a kid[wink]. Don't forget the old National Postal Meters and the Singer contract for 1911A1's too!

Speaking of M1 Carbines... I bought one off a friend last night and will be selling my Underwood for $400. I have a sling and oiler for it, and you've all seen the pics, but i'll still be listing it in the classifeids section unless someone buys it today.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom