• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Carbine

Milsurps 4 Me said:
Speaking of M1 Carbines... I bought one off a friend last night and will be selling my Underwood for $400. I have a sling and oiler for it, and you've all seen the pics, but i'll still be listing it in the classifeids section unless someone buys it today.[smile]

I'll take the second chance on it.

I'm holding off on posting the offer in classifieds because M1911 PMed me and has first crack at it. If he declines after seeing it, i'll PM you Nickle.

CRAP! I meant to put in for seconds after M1911.

Put me on the list for third, please. I was counting my M1 carbine mags last night, and lamenting my poor Underwood (cracked receiver)... I need another one BAD...

Milsurps 4 Me said:
Speaking of M1 Carbines... I bought one off a friend last night and will be selling my Underwood for $400. I have a sling and oiler for it, and you've all seen the pics, but i'll still be listing it in the classifeids section unless someone buys it today.[smile]

I know this isn't the classifieds but I just wanted to mention that the rifle was sold/transfered today in case anyone else was hoping to get it.

Cheap 30 Caliber M1 Carbine Ammo

Was at Collectable Arms & Ammo in Merrimack NH the other day, looking for ammo for my M1 carbine. They were selling 50rds boxes of .30 Carbine Aguila 110gr. FMJ Ammo for $20 a box. Aguila is good stuff and thats the best price I've found in a store/shop for this brand. (I looked at the internet and you can get it about the same per box but you have to buy a case of 20 boxes..which $$$ and I don't need 20 boxes at the moment.) The stuff works well in my M1 so I bought 5 boxes of the stuff! Thought I'd pass out the info if anyone needing to score some M1 carbine ammo at a good price.

I was just thinking the other day, I wish I'd bought four or five m1 carbines when the had them at the CMP...

Was at Collectable Arms & Ammo in Merrimack NH the other day, looking for ammo for my M1 carbine. They were selling 50rds boxes of .30 Carbine Aguila 110gr. FMJ Ammo for $20 a box. Aguila is good stuff and thats the best price I've found in a store/shop for this brand. (I looked at the internet and you can get it about the same per box but you have to buy a case of 20 boxes..which $$$ and I don't need 20 boxes at the moment.) The stuff works well in my M1 so I bought 5 boxes of the stuff! Thought I'd pass out the info if anyone needing to score some M1 carbine ammo at a good price.

necropost.jpg

I tried to make a new comment on a thread I made on the Beretta Forum (6/13/12) about my M35, and was prevented by the forum. I had to make a new post. Pretty loose around here if we can dig up and post on a 6 year old thread!

MS

The reimported USGI rifles are worth less and can be good shooters. I have an IBM that has a Blue Sky import stamp, not really collectible but a good shooter.

They got a bad rap for "stopping power" in Korea, but in the jungle in WWII they had an excellent reputation. The Brits loved them.

BTW, If you think firing something similar to a maxxed out .357magnum round out of a rifle is a wimpy round, you're going to be surprised.

The .30 cal M1 round is quite potent at other than 300+ yard ranges. There's many many thousands of dead Japs, Koreans, Vietnamese and Germans who would agree if they could.

Pilgrim,Really a 30 carbine round has similar ballistics as a maxed out 357. I never knew that. I will have to look up on my ballistics chart the two rounds. It always seemed to be a very light round and lacked a great deal of knock down power. Thanks for the info. Ya learn something new everyday.

The reimported USGI rifles are worth less and can be good shooters. I have an IBM that has a Blue Sky import stamp, not really collectible but a good shooter.

They got a bad rap for "stopping power" in Korea, but in the jungle in WWII they had an excellent reputation. The Brits loved them.
I also heard somewhere that the Germans liked them and used captured M1 carbines because of their lightweight and semi auto firepower, especially in the close range fights in hedgerow country.

I also heard somewhere that the Germans liked them and used captured M1 carbines because of their lightweight and semi auto firepower, especially in the close range fights in hedgerow country.

Yes, they did.

Attachments

• 30M1 Carbine SS.jpg
    30M1 Carbine SS.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 30M1 Carbine.jpg
    30M1 Carbine.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 30M1 Carbine_2.jpg
    30M1 Carbine_2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 35
  • 30M1 Carbine_3.jpg
    30M1 Carbine_3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

It looks like this thread gets a second life. Grarandman, I am not sure how much less you mean, but the idea that import stamped M1 Carbines are worth a lot less is not so true any more. That was true about 10 years ago. But from what I have read and seen, the difference is not considered very slight, and while an import stamp makes it less desirable, the difference in price is not that great these days. Condition, maker and originality will play a much bigger role. Good condition M1 carbines are just getting too hard to find to worry about a small import stamp if the rest of the gun is very desirable. Of course I say that having an M1 Carbine with a small import stamp. :)

You and me both.

In December of 1990 I stood in the gun section of the Woolworth's Store (yes they sold guns then) in the Maine Mall and checked out the wall of recently imported M1 Carbines for $120 and passed of them because that just seemed too much money. Of course, at the time, it was too much money as I had $5 in my pocket and to my name.

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/germanyww2.html

Battle of the Bulge: Then and Now by Jean-Paul Pallud published by After The Battle, London, goes over the photographs shown in NUTS! The Battle Of The Bulge and the entire encounter in great detail. The photographs are actually still frames from a cine camera used by the German photographers. Pallud clearly details how the photographs were staged by the Germans, for the purpose of showing the film footage in Germany and Berlin.

Corroborating Pallud is the Ardennen Poteau '44 Museum near Poteau, Belgium. Their website shows the photographs and correlates them to positions along the road where the incident occurred, then details why they were staged by the Germans

He's right about that. I've got a book on the Burma Campaign written by a British Military historian and he goes on and on about how the Brits would trade anything and everything for M1s. They loved the Tommy guns too, but felt that they were too heavy. Gen Merrill agreed with them after his march from Burma into India. He and Gen Stillwell pushed to get every M1 they could.
They're still incredibly popular over there. I know that the Militaries of Thailand, Philippines, Burma, Laos, and Cambodia still issue them.

I really need to add one to the collection.

Aloha

In December of 1990 I stood in the gun section of the Woolworth's Store (yes they sold guns then) in the Maine Mall and checked out the wall of recently imported M1 Carbines for $120 and passed of them because that just seemed too much money. Of course, at the time, it was too much money as I had $5 in my pocket and to my name.

funny you mention woolworth's The garand my dad gave me he got at Woolworth's and just found the receipt recently, think it was from late 80's down the cape. was under $300 but cannot remember exact price

I really need to add one to the collection.

Aloha

Every shooter that enjoys military surplus arms should have at least one to have fun with at the range. They made over 6 million of them over a brief period in the mid 40's, so it always surprises me how difficult they usually are to find. They are really fun to shoot and I would recommend picking one up (import marked or not) if you get the chance.

He's right about that. I've got a book on the Burma Campaign written by a British Military historian and he goes on and on about how the Brits would trade anything and everything for M1s. They loved the Tommy guns too, but felt that they were too heavy. Gen Merrill agreed with them after his march from Burma into India. He and Gen Stillwell pushed to get every M1 they could./
LTC George, who wrote the book "Shots Fired in Anger" had one with him during the extended march of Merrill's Marauders. He modified a magazine to make it a flush-mount five rounder, making it easier to carry while slung. This matters when you go on a 1,000 mile combat patrol through jungles.....

LTC George, who wrote the book "Shots Fired in Anger" had one with him during the extended march of Merrill's Marauders. He modified a magazine to make it a flush-mount five rounder, making it easier to carry while slung. This matters when you go on a 1,000 mile combat patrol through jungles.....

The Canadian writer Fowley Mowat in his book about his experiences during WWII, "And No Birds Sang", describes how he traded his Webley Mark IV 38 with a Texan the first day he landed in Sicily. He aptly described the 38 version of the Webley as being as useful in modern warfare as the bayonet. What did he get in return for the trade? An M1 Carbine which he carried through out Europe for the rest of the war and loved it. He was in intelligence or communications or something like that and did a lot of moving about on the battle field and loved having such a light weight accurate gun that could deliver stopping power (especially compared to the 38S&W) 15 rounds at a time. I wish I still had the book so I could give the exact quote, but I do not.

so did my father on saipan ,tinian and guam[grin]

Back
Top Bottom