• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 30 Caliber Carbine

WANT! I've got a ton of 30 carbine ammo and don't shoot my M1 carbine much. Would be nice to get a pistol to shoot that ammo...

There's a few online but I've read too many reviews saying they're not reliable in feeding.

I'm in town. Not a member of the sportsman's club though. Have a pair of Automag IIIs that don't get out much.

I have the Ruger .30 Carbine revolver. I used to shoot it at our late pumpkin shoots. Neat gun!

I also have one of these long discontinued Ruger single actions, fun gun, but much better with handloads.
The problem is that all factory ammo is made to be fired from the 18" barrel of an M1 Carbine.
When fired from a 7.5" barrel, more than half the powder burns after the bullet exits the muzzle, resulting in a huge muzzle flash, lots of wasted powder and unimpressive velocities.
Handload data is very hard to find for pistol length barrels, where the charge burns completely in the shorter barrel.
I did some research and experimentation and found that data for the .327 Federal magnum is very close to what you want for the .30 Carbine round in the Ruger.

Creedmoor loads match ammo. So that’s more for competition than plinking ammo.
Im doubting its anythig special , ? Starline brass
? and run of the mill 110s or they would advertise it as something better/special.
My guess is cmp had creedmoor make a run so they have M1 carbine on hand at the cmp games.
Depending on your location and shipping policies i have spotted 30 carbine for under 50 cents per round in stock. You just need to look past the first pages of google search

Last edited:
Im doubting its anythig special , ? Starline brass
? and run of the mill 110s or they would advertise it as something better/special.
My guess is cmp had creedmoor make a run so they have M1 carbine on hand at the cmp games.
Depending on your location and shipping policies i have spotted 30 carbine for under 50 cents per round in stock. You just need to look past the first pages of google search

Fair enough. I mean, “match” ammo for the M1 Carbine is never up to the same standards as match ammo for other calibers. And $0.71 a round is less than the price of 5.56 match ammo even before COVID hit.

But, looking back at previous orders, that’s twice the price Aguila 30 carbine was and Aguila shot just fine for the precision required in M1 Carbine matches. And even Hornady 110 Critical Duty was only $0.65 a round before. Haha, I concede. $0.71 is silly for 30 Carbine FMJ, even loaded by Creedmoor 😂

I wish I'd bought a few more CMP ones when they were like $500. One of most unforgivable Obama era moves was blocking repatriation of South Korean m1's. What ever happened to them? Did this "collectible firearms act" law ever pass?

I should have bought a crate of them back in 1985 when they were $150 each, and the selling dealer had several crates of them. I remember buying the one I did purchase, he laid about a dozen random examples out on the counter and said "pick one".
I pretty much went "eeny meenie minie moe" and ended up with an IBM.
Being a Mac guy since the late 80's, I enjoyed telling people that this was the only thing IBM ever made that's worth owning. [laugh]

Mid-1970s, Woolworth on Washington St., Downtown Boston had barrels with M1 Carbines stuffed in them for $99 each IIRC. I took a quick look and decided I didn't want/need "old guns" . . . young and foolish!

Fair enough. I mean, “match” ammo for the M1 Carbine is never up to the same standards as match ammo for other calibers. And $0.71 a round is less than the price of 5.56 match ammo even before COVID hit.

But, looking back at previous orders, that’s twice the price Aguila 30 carbine was and Aguila shot just fine for the precision required in M1 Carbine matches. And even Hornady 110 Critical Duty was only $0.65 a round before. Haha, I concede. $0.71 is silly for 30 Carbine FMJ, even loaded by Creedmoor 😂
i know and CM did not even use Lapua brass!

If you do get a M1, Pick up one of these so you can use commercial ammo and hunt with it if the need arises , So it's not just a range gun....In case the SHTF, Zombie Apocalypse or Mad Squirrels protecting there nut's ....

One of the Pack and Postal carbines I saw few weeks ago had the folding stock. Set up as M1A1 config......didn't check the Ser No for correct range, but it was Inland. I have bought two from him.

If you do get a M1, Pick up one of these so you can use commercial ammo and hunt with it if the need arises , So it's not just a range gun....In case the SHTF, Zombie Apocalypse or Mad Squirrels protecting there nut's ....
That’s for the M1 Garand, not the M1 Carbine.

I've got a new production Inland and it works fine. If you want an original GI Carbine, go for it. But my reproduction works fine for me.

I've got a new production Inland and it works fine. If you want an original GI Carbine, go for it. But my reproduction works fine for me.
the new production inlands seem to be pretty good. i have seen 4 and 3 get shot often, with lots of steel cased ammo.
Even n the AO ones are not to bad ,

That’s for the M1 Garand, not the M1 Carb
Sorry my mistake,,
Start talking battle rifles and It's like putting an Old playboy ( The real one's) in front of some teenagers,

buy a good mil surplus shooter and shoot the crap out of it.

we should of kept developing something small as the carbine with much higher power , better cartridge, powder and projectile.
delete op rod and locking bolt for something else.
add piston rod and some other kind of bolt
it wouldn't be a m1 variant at all. but somehow a descendant of the original Us carbine if we just kept developing it

buy a good mil surplus shooter and shoot the crap out of it.

we should of kept developing something small as the carbine with much higher power , better cartridge, powder and projectile.
delete op rod and locking bolt for something else.
add piston rod and some other kind of bolt
it wouldn't be a m1 variant at all. but somehow a descendant of the original Us carbine if we just kept developing it

The Soviets did that. It was called the AK-47, at about an inch shorter. It added a piston rod and some other kind of bolt.

We sorta did, too. It was called the M16, only three or four inches longer. And the carbine version of the M16 is a couple inches shorter than the M1 Carbine. It deleted the op rod and locking bolt for something else.

Ha! I was just about to post this. Good lookin’ out.

The Soviets did that. It was called the AK-47, at about an inch shorter. It added a piston rod and some other kind of bolt.

We sorta did, too. It was called the M16, only three or four inches longer. And the carbine version of the M16 is a couple inches shorter than the M1 Carbine. It deleted the op rod and locking bolt for something else.

Yup, as much as I like the M1 Carbine, the CAR-15/M4 fills its role and is much more effective without gaining recoil or much weight.

Do a little research as to what are real GI models or made with real GI parts.
Watch out for the "Universal" M1 carbine models, they were cheesy knock-offs.

Good luck finding .30 carbine ammo for the next year or two. There's a real supply chain issue at the moment.
:(
Theres 30 carbine out there , just need to look s bit harder , oh and of course ready to pay.

Back
Top Bottom