M&P Owners, having any problems?

I have a full size .40 on lay-away at M&M's in Plymouth, but I was reading some threads on mp-pistol.com and I'm kind of leery about paying the rest of the $525 purchase price.

20% of the members on the forum reported problems with the magazine unintentionally falling out while firing, holstering, etc. and I saw mention of rust issues, slides failing to lock, FTF, FTE, and brass hitting people in the face.

I know it's a relatively new gun, so they're still working out the kinks...

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance in the quality and reliability of the M&P, as I intend to carry it daily, if purchased.

Any info and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a FS M&P .40 and have had no problems with it. I believe the mag drop problem was in early versions. I use hi-caps (extra weight) and not one has fallen out. I think the brass throwing issue was with the 9mm but I'm not positive. No rust see either.

I have no problems with any of my M&P pistols, and none of my several friends who also have them have had any issues.

This line of pistols gets my highest recommendation. I view it as the next generation of design improving on the mighty Glock.

Don't hold back! Get it. My FS .40 is a gem. My FS 9mm is a great gun also.. I did have some problems with cases coming straight back. This problem seems to have went away after shooting it for a while.. still happens occasionally with weak ammo (UMC). I saw that someone with a similar problem sent it to S&W and it came back just fine. FWIW I had a Sig that also spit cases at me for a while- till I got about 500 rounds thru it.

Just be prepared to get the trigger fixed. The MA 10lb trigger is a complete joke and useless IMO.

My M&P 9 is at S&W now, the brass kept hitting me in the face, in fact I got a nice burn near my eye when a spent shell hit me in the forhead and went under my glasses. I know Smith will make it right. Other than that I think it's a fine pistol and would serve you well..

A friend of mine has a fs 40 that been sent back to Smith twice for mags dropping out while firing. Needless to say he is not to happy with his.

My M&P has had no problems. I have had brass plunk me on top of the head but they were ricocheting off the wall first.

I have a M&P 9c and have had only one single problem where it locked back with one round left....since it has only happened once in thousands of rounds, I assume that I hit the slide lock somehow.

Mine has run flawless ever since. Knock on wood, but i havent had one single malfunction whatsoever since my initial 250 round break-in period. Not one stovepipes or anything....im probably jinxing myself by saying this, though!

I took the compact 40 off my list of guns to buy after shooting one at the S&W range back in April specifically because the magazine kept falling out.

The full sized 45 I shot didn't have that problem, though.

Since I wanted the compact 40 for a carry gun, it had to be 100% reliable, and the magazine falling for no reason made me less than 100% sure it was.

YMMV.

I have a full size .40 on lay-away at M&M's in Plymouth, but I was reading some threads on mp-pistol.com and I'm kind of leery about paying the rest of the $525 purchase price.

20% of the members on the forum reported problems with the magazine unintentionally falling out while firing, holstering, etc. and I saw mention of rust issues, slides failing to lock, FTF, FTE, and brass hitting people in the face.

I know it's a relatively new gun, so they're still working out the kinks...

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance in the quality and reliability of the M&P, as I intend to carry it daily, if purchased.

Any info and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have over over 1000 rounds through my M&P40 - It's been flawless -10lb trigger was tough at first but now is fine. (I dry fired it alot as well) It's down to 7 or so pounds is fine especially for a defensive type gun - I'm not using it for bullseye or IDPA. It is a suprisingly accurate gun and I can consistently hold the black with it at 25 yards - I've been using Brain Enos Slide glide rather than oil and it works great - really softens the overall feel of the gun

I would't hesitate buying it again

Thank you everyone for your input. I agree that it must have been early editions that had the problems, and I know that S&W customer service is top notch, in the event that something did happen. Also, the 9mm model 910 we have has never had a hiccup over our 4 or 5 years of ownership.

I will go ahead with the purchase! [rockon]

If you get it at M & M s in plymouth ask for the lighter trigger spring. For an extra 15 bucks they installed the 4 lb spring in about five minutes. well worth it.

I have a FS M&P .40 and have had no problems with it. I believe the mag drop problem was in early versions. I use hi-caps (extra weight) and not one has fallen out. I think the brass throwing issue was with the 9mm but I'm not positive. No rust see either.

? ? Hi cap..new M&P..explain please!

Back
Top Bottom