LTC wait time affected by...

I was talking with a friend the other day and he told me that the wait period to receiving one's license is greatly affected by several factors...

1. Speediness of the LEO processing the application.
2. Does the PD have MIRCS.
3. Wait time for feedback from various gov. depts (mental health, state troopers etc)
4. And finally hunting season.

He claimed that hunting season is the biggest culprit out of the four because that's the time of year when the applications pile in.

Any comments?

I was talking with a friend the other day and he told me that the wait period to receiving one's license is greatly affected by several factors...

1. Speediness of the LEO processing the application.
2. Does the PD have MIRCS.
3. Wait time for feedback from various gov. depts (mental health, state troopers etc)
4. And finally hunting season.

He claimed that hunting season is the biggest culprit out of the four because that's the time of year when the applications pile in.

Any comments?

I think that reason #1 is probably the most overwhelming one... because
often times PDs only have like one guy around to process applications, and
often times that LEO is a normal everyday officer, not someone who can spend
all of his time doing the task of dealing with permits.

-Mike

RE: Any comments?

Yes, sit back and wait for your license or it's denial. No amount of fretting, disecting or discussion of it is going to make it appear any faster.

Last time I heard, each application process equated to roughly 7 man hours of work by every agency combined. Don't ya gotta love that 7 hours of taxpayer money for law enforcement is spent certifying the least likely people to commit crimes?

I have had my LTC since 1972. This renewal took from 02-01-07 (Initial day of application on the shiny new computer system) to April 04 which is the issue date.

Nothing should take that long. All I got was finger pointing from the man in charge and he has been a friend for over 20 years.

So sit back, relax, and remember the 90 day grace period

By no means am I trying to make it appear any faster. In fact I have the strange feeling the more you frett with the PD the longer they can make you wait.

I think the sate takes longer than we all think. I submitted ma LTC-A on 3/6 and I have received it aso dated 4/4. Round Gun Shooter submitted his application 5 weeks earlier in a different town and both of ours were approved and processed by the state on the same day. I wouldn't be suprised if the state does the same thing as local LEOs where they only work on LTC's on certain days.

I think the sate takes longer than we all think. I submitted ma LTC-A on 3/6 and I have received it aso dated 4/4. Round Gun Shooter submitted his application 5 weeks earlier in a different town and both of ours were approved and processed by the state on the same day. I wouldn't be suprised if the state does the same thing as local LEOs where they only work on LTC's on certain days.

The far more likely reason is that one town sat on the app, while the other processed it in a timely manner.

The next most likely source of delay is AFIS, which can get bogged down, and the DMH, which is a known bottleneck.

The idea that CHSB is obstructing the process is the LEAST likely scenario.

My Chief told me today that the cycle time fluctuates between four and eight weeks with it being closer to four at present.

Reason I called him is that I got the Notice from the state last Thursday and my LTC does not expire until 8/28!

This small town now has the new system which does not require that I bring photos any longer. Digital photos are taken and, of course, the single finger print.

Chief recommended that I come in two months prior to expiration.

Reason I called him is that I got the Notice from the state last Thursday and my LTC does not expire until 8/28!

Chief recommended that I come in two months prior to expiration.

Same here! It used to be a letter and advised that the recipient file "IMMEDIATELY." Despite this, some towns refused to accept an application more than 2 months in advance. The refusal had no basis in law and was in effect even when renewals were taking 3+ months = and when the grace period did not exist.

I'll wait until the first week of June to file mine.

Back
Top Bottom