• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC Renewal Boston (How to?)

Broc

NES Member
I created a thread in the members section that got some replies but got me nowhere. (Thabk you to those that helped).

I wanted to avoid creating a thread here because the usual idiots would show up with "my State doesn't require licenses", "move to another town", "the constitution is your LTC", "tell the chief to suck it"...

I get it, you are cool.

Before it turns into an eventual mess of a Tulsi, COVID, Bruen, Maura sh*t show of a thread, maybe someone can either post or PM some useful information.

I found a form online that said to contact the licensing department. Here: License — bpdnews.com

That link has another link to resources: Resources — bpdnews.com

The second link, has a file (top of list) that says to call them.

I called 3 times. No one answers and instead the message says to Email: Firearm Licensing <[email protected]>

I Emailed them twice already giving them a few days to reply and have heard nothing.

At this point I really don't want to deal with their BS I thought I would pay an attorney to give them a call, because this BS should not be so complicated. I don't mind paying if he can get someone on the damn phone.

But before I do that, I know some of you renewed in Boston, can you tell me how it works?

Should I drive to the HQ?
Do they have a stack of renewal applications like a lot of PD?

I have plenty of time to renew, several months, I just like to be proactive and get everything I need early.

Last edited:
Go to BPD HQ and grab a form in person?
So, they have them there?

Boston is such a sh*t show, I wanted to avoid wasting an hour+ of my day to come home with nothing except a "call this number".

How did you apply before? When I applied there circa 2012 I think I went to HQ and picked up the form, filled it out, brought it back in person. Pain in the neck but that's what it was. No idea if it's different now.

Since they don't make the renewal application available online they're intentionally making you go to BPD to ask for an application to renew. Just take the time some day to go down there and grab one. make sure you put it in a couple of months in advance of you LTC expiring or you could be in for a long wait.

Since they don't make the renewal application available online they're intentionally making you go to BPD to ask for an application to renew. Just take the time some day to go down there and grab one. make sure you put it in a couple of months in advance of you LTC expiring or you could be in for a long wait.
Pathetic! So you can't call BPD HQ and have them mail you one?

Last edited:
How did you apply before? When I applied there circa 2012 I think I went to HQ and picked up the form, filled it out, brought it back in person. Pain in the neck but that's what it was. No idea if it's different now.
I didn't apply in Boston. I applied in Westford and renewed in Westford the last time.

This makes sense. You would think they would say that online or maybe put that on their automated voice mail or automated Email message. NOPE.

I guess I will go down one day and grab the paperwork.

Thank you.

This makes sense. You would think they would say that online or maybe put that on their automated voice mail or automated Email message. NOPE.

I guess I will go down one day and grab the paperwork.

Thank you.
Boston has always been very anti firearms ownership and anti LTC. The less info you give the public on how you want things done only makes thing easier on yourself (BPD). No one will apply or renew if they can’t figure out how to apply.

It doesn't bother me not getting it mailed or not having it online. What bothers me is the lack of clarity (intentional) on their part. If I have to go grab a copy, I will go, no problem. Just write that online.
The whole process would bother me, the BPD is giving the finger to it's residents and obviously with no repercussions.

Isn't this what government usually does anyway? And not just for your gunz issue. Not just Boston.
Yup, check out my thread on the Durham Investigation. Imagine if Boston pulled that shit on business operating licenses? Oh right, they probably do and get away with it.

Says you need to call to make an appt.

Keep callin.

They don’t seem to differentiate between first time and renewal that I can tell except for renewal you don’t need the safety certificate etc.

Boston Police Headquarters Licensing Unit,
1st floor
1 Schroeder Plaza, Boston
Tel. 617.343.4425

Customer Service Hours:
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 8:30am-4:00pm Tuesday 8:30am-6:00pm

Application process: Applicants must call the Licensing Unit to make an appointment.

On the day / time of your appointment, report to the Licensing Unit with the proper documents, see below.

Applicants must complete and sign an application.

All applicants will be fingerprinted, photographed and interviewed by a police officer from the Licensing Unit. Applicants will be given a dated receipt to confirm the application. A background investigation and suitability assessment will be conducted on all applicants.

Please post how this all turns out for you @Broc

If I recall correctly, when I applied in Boston the form was available online and I called BPD licensing to set up an interview. I’m up for renewal in 18 months and the fact that I’m already thinking about it speaks to the shit show that is Boston firearms licensing. When I interviewed there was a fella there renewing, so I believe you have to be there in person for at least that part.

From your first Link:

A Firearm Identification card (FID) and License To Carry Firearms (LTC) is available to residents and business owners in the City of Boston. Guidelines describing the licensing process and the application are available at the Boston Police Headquarters, Licensing Unit, 1st Floor, 1 Schroeder Plaza, Boston, MA. 02120. Tel. 617.343.4425

While they do supply a telephone number they clearly state you need to go to BPD HQ to pick up the application.
ETA: while the second link does say to call for an appointment I would check when you pick up the application if this phone number is still valid and perhaps mention you had already called and emailed and got no response. It is obvious, from the guidelines, they expect you to have the application filled out and the rest of your documents in order at the time of the "interview."

Let us know how that goes. Curious about the process in Boston. Not that I’d ever live there.
I will update the thread or start a new one with the process.

I have 9 months until renewal, and I doubt they will allow me to submit an application so early. So it might be a while before I can update it.

The plan is to go to the PD HQ sometime before November or first week fo November, hopefully get an application and some clarification on how to schedule an appointment once completed.

In the meantime, if anyone else has renewed in Boston or has a friend that renewed in Boston, it would be great if they post about it.

So Boston touts itself as being a "green" city and I think they even won an award for it this year from some European liberal beta organization. Seems to me they aren't doing everything they can to be more "greener", politics should not play a part in how green they can be.

Sorry nothing constructive to add but it sucks a person has to waste time, gas, contributing to greenhouse gasses idling in traffic and paper renewing a license in such a "green" city, possibly the most greenest in the US. Seems the whole point of their renewal process is subjugation to the state.

So Boston touts itself as being a "green" city and I think they even won an award for it this year from some European liberal beta organization. Seems to me they aren't doing everything they can to be more "greener", politics should not play a part in how green they can be.

Sorry nothing constructive to add but it sucks a person has to waste time, gas, contributing to greenhouse gasses idling in traffic and paper renewing a license in such a "green" city, possibly the most greenest in the US. Seems the whole point of their renewal process is subjugation to the state.
I hear you. The time doesn't bother me so much (I am lucky that I don't have an hourly job), it is the possibility of going there and coming home empty handed with a "call this nunber" or "we ran out if applications, come back next week when we print more" response.

That is all.

With traffic, 3 miles in Boston will take 20minites. I think the HQ is 4 miles away and the GPS says 25min. So it is a 1.5hrs commitment (including parking, walking around and so on).

I hear you. The time doesn't bother me so much (I am lucky that I don't have an hourly job), it is the possibility of going there and coming home empty handed with a "call this nunber" or "we ran out if applications, come back next week when we print more" response.

That is all.

With traffic, 3 miles in Boston will take 20minites. I think the HQ is 4 miles away and the GPS says 25min. So it is a 1.5hrs commitment (including parking, walking around and so on).
Last time I was near the BPD was looking for parking to go to my citizenship ceremony years ago.

I’m in no hurry to go back 😊

Back
Top Bottom