• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC in Billerica asking for extra items on application

A co-worker of mine has been trying to get his LTC in Billerica...he has everything except....are you ready for this????...........A DOCTORS NOTE!!! Billerica wants a note from his doctor stating that he is of sound mind to carry a gun...Being that his doctor is part of a big HMO his doctor told him that policy forbids him from writing a note for a firearms license. The HMO doesn't want to be opened to possible litigation if something were to happen.

WTF!! I feel for this guy. It's bad enough that he can never reach the firearms officer because they are always off or on vacation during the prescribed firearms office times. But now he has to get a damn note from his doctor too!!!?

Since when? Billerica only requires two letters of recommendation... at least they still did when my wife applied a few weeks ago. After everything I've read about other towns, I found their process very straightforward.

http://police.billericaps.com/index.php/firearms-licensing/

This! I've never heard of this policy. Must be new or a misunderstanding. But if it is true, tell your friend to contact GOAL and Comm2a now!

Some friends of mine in Lawrence had to provide a note as well. The note didn’t say anything about guns, but did say they were in good health. If you wanted to fight it, you could, but this note (many are doing it now) is just a deterrent to stop us from our rights. Again, not required, but a few chiefs are just stretching the requirements to slow the process down I guess.

The notes might disappear pending on how the litigation goes for the man from Everett…

Last edited:
Maybe they know your friend to be a nut and want a doctor's note to clear him.

Dave

Maybe this is the case.

I just checked with a couple of people who met with the BPD very recently for their first-time applications, they didn't have to produce anything extra at all.

Sent from my mobile device.

Did the applicant admit to taking any kind of medications now or in the past?

Did he admit to having "problems" in the past?

If so, that could open up this kind of demand for documentation under "suitability" for an individual, yet not for everyone.

This! I've never heard of this policy. Must be new or a misunderstanding. But if it is true, tell your friend to contact GOAL and Comm2a now!

I received my LTC from Billerica in October. No doctor's note needed. Was this after the state police mental health check? Maybe a quack reported him.

While they were slow, they didn't ask me to jump through any hoops that weren't already on the form.

If they are trying to invent new law, this would be a very bad thing...

Back
Top Bottom