LTC-Class A w/restrictions???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I talked with a lawyer at the club the other day and he said where does it say in the law you CANT carry your firearm concealed?Say you have hunting/target as restrictions you CAN carry said firearm concealed to and from the range.He explained to me that a LTC means license to carry period..I said from what I read you have to put said firearm in trunk ect, ect.He said Class B has to be kept in trunk and you are not able to carry?LTC means license to CARRY period.Now before all the lawyers and members of this great site jump all over me for asking this question I DO NOT KNOW!!!!I am just relaying information that was said to me.He also gave me a page where it states all the different classes and acording to this he is right.If you want I will be happy to print out said page.Please your thoughts on this matter????

If you post the page forum members will be able to respond with meaningful comments.

isnt an LTC-B also a license to carry? it is "LTC-B" right?

It might stand for license to carry, but only LTC-A (unrestricted) can carry concealed. Whether or not it allows open carry... well, if you're willing to be the test case, go for it.

I will type it here goes. Below is an explanation of the graduated licenses under Massachusetts Law as of October 21,1998 CLASS D: Possession of pepper spray,mace or other chemical incapacitators legal in the State of Massachusetts. Class C: Possession of low capacity rifles and shotguns.Low capacity is defined as a shotgun with a loading capacity of five rounds or less and a rifle with a loading capacity of ten rounds or less. Class B:possession of high capacity rifles and shotguns.High capacity is defined as a shotgun with a loading capacity of more than five rounds and a rifle with a loading capacity of more than ten rounds. This license also permits the holder to possess low capacity handgun is defined as a handgun with a loading capacity of ten rounds or less.This license superceded Class D and C licenses. Class A:possession of high capacity handguns.High capacity is defined as a handgun with a loading capacity of more than ten rounds.This is the only license that allows an individual to carry a concealed weapon if authorized by the licensing authority.This license supercedes Class D,C,and B licenses.

I'm nonrestricted class A anyway, just stating if that lawyer says you can carry with an LTC-A restricted why not an LTC-B?

I will type it here goes. Below is an explanation of the graduated licenses under Massachusetts Law as of October 21,1998 CLASS D: Possession of pepper spray,mace or other chemical incapacitators legal in the State of Massachusetts. Class C: Possession of low capacity rifles and shotguns.Low capacity is defined as a shotgun with a loading capacity of five rounds or less and a rifle with a loading capacity of ten rounds or less. Class B:possession of high capacity rifles and shotguns.High capacity is defined as a shotgun with a loading capacity of more than five rounds and a rifle with a loading capacity of more than ten rounds. This license also permits the holder to possess low capacity handgun is defined as a handgun with a loading capacity of ten rounds or less.This license superceded Class D and C licenses. Class A:possession of high capacity handguns.High capacity is defined as a handgun with a loading capacity of more than ten rounds.This is the only license that allows an individual to carry a concealed weapon if authorized by the licensing authority.This license supercedes Class D,C,and B licenses.

I see the problem. This "lawyer" hasn't been keeping up on the recent changes in the law. A year or two ago, the "reason for issuance" got changed to "restrictions" on the LTC. So... if your LTC says "Hunting and Target", those are the RESTRICTIONS on your license.

And just because it's such a great graphic (please don't take offense; my snark is aimed at the idiot who fed you that line of bull):

aw_jeez.jpg

Now he pointed out to me that Class B states possession.Class A states its the only license that you can carry.Im confused?

O.K.I agree with you.But on same token dosent LTC stand for license to carry?Where does it state you have to put said firearm in the trunk?Is it something that someone saw or is it a law?I went through the packet the police gave to me and it doesnt say that anywhere?

Yes, it does stand for License To Carry. So what? This is MASSACHUSETTS! Our laws were written by idiots; just read some of them and see how torturous the phrasing is.

As for where the various laws are, I recommend that you go here: http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/faq.html and browse the FAQs. You'll find a lot of what you're looking for here: http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/aandbdifferences.pdf

And while you're on the GOAL site, you should join - they are the ONLY friends that a Massachusetts gun owner has on Beacon Hill!

For legal questions I always start at the GOAL Law Chart page to reference into the MGLs and CMRs: http://www.goal.org/legislation/quickoverview.html
... Class A:possession of high capacity handguns.High capacity is defined as a handgun with a loading capacity of more than ten rounds.This is the only license that allows an individual to carry a concealed weapon if authorized by the licensing authority.This license supercedes Class D,C,and B licenses.
From MGL C140 S131
(a) A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper;
The two underlined phrases give the issuing authority the authority to place restrictions on an LTC-A: That includes restricting or removing permission to carry concealed. This post, http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=378962&postcount=1, describes the common restrictions and usual meanings, although the exact meaning of a restriction on a specific license is up to the issuing authority for that license [rolleyes].

So if I understand what I read it states that a class B means you cant carry and class A means you can according to the law not the chief?

So if I understand what I read it states that a class B means you cant carry
Yes
and class A means you can according to the law not the chief?
Not exactly. One can carry with a Class A LTC within the restrictions set by the licensing authority for that license. If the chief issues it with no restrictions (e.g. Restrictions: None) then you're good to go. If the chief places restrictions on your license, like Sporting or Target & Hunting or Only on Tuesdays when the moon is full, then you're not.

This is very confusing to say the least.Mine is restricted.I dont plan on carrying everywhere I go because I know I cant.But if I dont have to buy a safe for my trunk"I drive a pick-up"to and from the range why should I?One other thing what if I was to only operate a motorcycle where would I put it then?Very confusing...

I just thought of another one what if you dont DRIVE at all?Say I live 2 Blocks away from the range and I cant drive what then?

This is very confusing to say the least.Mine is restricted.I dont plan on carrying everywhere I go because I know I cant.But if I dont have to buy a safe for my trunk"I drive a pick-up"to and from the range why should I?One other thing what if I was to only operate a motorcycle where would I put it then?Very confusing...
Go read the MGL on Transportation (found via the GOAL site) and the restrictions definitions. Then tell us what you conclude.

This is very confusing to say the least.
Welcome to mASSachusetts. [thinking]
Mine is restricted.I dont plan on carrying everywhere I go because I know I cant.But if I dont have to buy a safe for my trunk"I drive a pick-up"to and from the range why should I?One other thing what if I was to only operate a motorcycle where would I put it then?Very confusing...
You don't have to buy a safe for your truck. A locking gun case will do just fine. Doskocil makes some nice ones, and you should be able to find cases in any gun shop as well as Dicks Sporting Goods and Bass Pro. If you have locking saddle bags on your bike, those will do, too.
I just thought of another one what if you dont DRIVE at all?Say I live 2 Blocks away from the range and I cant drive what then?
Carry a locking case of some sort.

I guess Im going to have to buy a $100.00 safe to transport my gun that I cant afford because I spent my last $250.00 on a License To Carry License to witch I cant carry to the range I just joined for $175.00 so I could get my LTC.This State is screwd up!!!!

I guess Im going to have to buy a $100.00 safe to transport my gun that I cant afford because I spent my last $250.00 on a License To Carry License to witch I cant carry to the range I just joined for $175.00 so I could get my LTC.This State is screwd up!!!!

WE ALL AGREE!!

Did you just move here? (if so I feel bad you did not know what you were getting into)

This is the BS that has been going on for a while in MA along with other things!

Not to piss you off dwarvin1 but Im going to carry my gun to and from the range in a holster!!!!!I have a LTC meaning a License To Carry to and from the range.I did the research and it does not say I cant!!!!If they take it away so be it!!!!Alot of people here will be happy Im not posting here anymore!!!But I be will bullshit if I let them take anything off of me "meaning the LEO" when in fact no single person including LEO knows what they are talking about!

Not to piss you off dwarvin1 but Im going to carry my gun to and from the range in a holster!!!!!I have a LTC meaning a License To Carry to and from the range.I did the research and it does not say I cant!!!!If they take it away so be it!!!!Alot of people here will be happy Im not posting here anymore!!!But I be will bullshit if I let them take anything off of me "meaning the LEO" when in fact no single person including LEO knows what they are talking about!

We'll be looking for you in the news........

you obviously didnt do your research if this is the conclusion you came too. Watch out for the cornhole, bud.

I have an LTC w/ the restriction of Sporting, I was rejected from a CCW in NH because of the restriction, when I called the LT in charge of firearms in my town and told him why I was not given a NH CCW, he told me to call the Sgt in charge in the NH SP and let him know that no matter what restriction there is on the license a Class A LTC is an unrestricted LTC regardless of what he restriction says.

In short, he said that no matter what restriction there was a Class A is a Class A no matter what it says...

Anyone have any more info on this, should I go forward with this...?

Hey, you're not pissing me off. I was trying to point out to you that you don't need to spend a hundred bucks to comply with the law. What you do with what I said is entirely up to you - I am not your master; you are a free American, able to do what you want to do.

Of course, the fact that it's against the law in this state might prove a little disconcerting to you if you get caught, but hey - it's YOUR decision. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

jm I just looked up the law on goal and it states that you can carry it on you as long it is a Class A license.If it is a Class B you can not.Look under transporting firearms.

I have an LTC w/ the restriction of Sporting, I was rejected from a CCW in NH because of the restriction, when I called the LT in charge of firearms in my town and told him why I was not given a NH CCW, he told me to call the Sgt in charge in the NH SP and let him know that no matter what restriction there is on the license a Class A LTC is an unrestricted LTC regardless of what he restriction says.

In short, he said that no matter what restriction there was a Class A is a Class A no matter what it says...

A licensee from Plainville recently posted a very similar story. Both cops are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom