LTC-Class A w/restrictions???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most all of you said that I cant carry it on me..So therefore I would have to lock it in a trunk or some sort of container.But the law says that it is supposed to be out of my reach.Right?Therefore I would have to tie some sort of string or rope and drag it behind me.I'm six feet tall and when I raise my hands up it comes to about 92 inches.So when I go down to my local hardware stoe I will buy a pice of string 108 inches long just to be on the safe side and I will attach the string to the case I will buy for 40 dollars that one of the members turned me on to.I will also buy 4 little wheels so I can attach them to my new case.I dont want to scrape and dent the new case I just bought by dragging it down the street on the sidewalk.Some of the sidewalks where I live are kind of bumpy.One thing I cant figure out is what about the ammo?Well let me work on my carrying case and get that all taken care of before I tackle the issue.I will take pics so I can post them for the other members that have CLASS A LICENSE TO CARRY/WITH RESTRICIONS/TARGET AND HUNTING,SPORTING.

why not just lock up the gun, put it in the case, get a backpack, and put the case in the backpack?

But the law says that it is supposed to be out of my reach.Right?Therefore I would have to tie some sort of string or rope and drag it behind me.

First of all, which law are you referring to that contains the "out of my reach" wording? Second, you can reach through a locked container?

38specialD, I am in the same situation as you and I can sympathize.

The "out of reach" caveat is not in the law, it is a merely advice given out by instructors and other well meaning persons, probably in an effort to simulate a locked trunk.

IANAL, but I think if you walk with a canvas range bag you are all set - make sure the zippers are lockable and you indeed lock them. Try to buy one that doesn't yell "gun" and you will be able to avoid attention from any nosy people. Really, I can't find anything about walking with a handgun...maybe you don't even need a lock if you are not in a vehicle. But I'm sure the gun can't be loaded with a T&H/S license.

I have posted the following excerpt from the Goshen Mass website before, so my apologies to those who have already seen it:

http://www.egoshen.com/Police.html

Q. What reasons do licensing authorities (Police Chiefs) issue licenses for?
A. This is an issue that causes more problems between applicants and licensing authorities than all other issues combined. There are very strong feelings on both sides of this issue.

The licensing authority has the discretion to issue for any purpose he/she deems proper. That may include an unrestricted LTC issued for "All Lawful Purposes" or one with restrictions such as Target and Hunting, Sporting, Personal Protection, employment or any of a number of other restrictions. A violation can result in a $5000 fine plus loss of the LTC. The problem is that there are no statutory criteria for the imposed restrictions. As such, what "Sporting" means in one jurisdiction may have an entirely different meaning in another. Does it really mean just target and hunting? It does in some jurisdictions, while in other jurisdictions it includes hiking, camping and protection from rabid animals. Can a person with a Target and Hunting or Sporting LTC defend themselves with a handgun in their home? Some Police Chiefs have said yes while others say no. This lack of clarity will likely cost an unsuspecting licensee a $5000 fine. A license issued for "All Lawful Purposes" eliminates the ambiguity of these restrictions. While some have argued that such a license is not allowed, the words "All Lawful Purposes" are not included in section 131 of chapter 140 as a reason for issuance. There is no statutory requirement to impose specific restrictions. They must be imposed only if the licensing authority deems that it is proper to do so. Again, the licensing authority might consider that if restrictions are appropriate because of suitability, he/she might be better served by denying the LTC altogether.

Last edited:
You my friend are absolutly 100% right.It was not my intention to start a war here on this issue!!!I simply asked a question.If you look you will see that this question has got to the point we ALL keep going around in circles.One says the law is this, other's say no its this and then you have some members tell me just shut the F@##-UP and do what you are told!!!Well Im sorry people I for one will not!!!!I have no idea how to interpit this law but it seems you all do.I did what was asked and did call the LEO agency and was told you could carry the gun on you.I made the mistake and told all of you this and what was your response??They dont know what there talking about get it in writeing your full of it..I wouldnt wanna be you,get a lawyer on retainer your gonna need it..Yah hear what Im saying WAYNE.LOL!!!One says you can one says you cant.The funny thing I find about all the input that was discussed here about this issue{7 pages over 50 responses not including mine count them I did} was alot of you told me to look it up on GOAL.Well I did "did you"?If you read there article on transporting firearms they spell it right out for you QUOTE:WE DONT have that answer!!!I was also told to call my chief of police by some members I would like too see any of YOU do that.One: He is not in the bldg.Two:He is in a meeting.Three:He is on the phone.Four:He is on vacation:Five:- do you see where Im going with this.Even for some god forbidden reason you do get a hold of him he will NOT give you a straight answer he would be crazy if he did!!!Chiefs my friends are politicians,they are elected officials that try to keep peace with the people,the city council or mayor,the police unions,the publics works dept,the list goes on...By the way I know for a fact that MY chief and MY issueing officer do NOT want any part of this crap.Quote:I wish the State Police would do this crap like they used to.I was told it was nothing but a headache for them.Well WAYNE "you seem to be my only friend here" it is time for me to go.If some stupid reason you see a guy walking down RT.139 with a piece of kite string about 108 inches long and tied to that kite string is a silver metal box beep your horn and wave WAYNE, you my friend have a open invitation to shoot with me anytime you want!!!As for now I have to go back to the hardware store to buy 2 more screws so I can attach my last wheel onto my brand new case I got at dicks sporting goods.Oh and by the way BDDONAVAN dont you know that carrying a heavy backpack is not good for you..My daughter told me that!!!

You my friend are absolutly 100% right.It was not my intention to start a war here on this issue!!!I simply asked a question.If you look you will see that this question has got to the point we ALL keep going around in circles.One says the law is this, other's say no its this and then you have some members tell me just shut the F@##-UP and do what you are told!!!Well Im sorry people I for one will not!!!!I have no idea how to interpit this law but it seems you all do.I did what was asked and did call the LEO agency and was told you could carry the gun on you.I made the mistake and told all of you this and what was your response??They dont know what there talking about get it in writeing your full of it..I wouldnt wanna be you,get a lawyer on retainer your gonna need it..Yah hear what Im saying WAYNE.LOL!!!One says you can one says you cant.The funny thing I find about all the input that was discussed here about this issue{7 pages over 50 responses not including mine count them I did} was alot of you told me to look it up on GOAL.Well I did "did you"?If you read there article on transporting firearms they spell it right out for you QUOTE:WE DONT have that answer!!!I was also told to call my chief of police by some members I would like too see any of YOU do that.One: He is not in the bldg.Two:He is in a meeting.Three:He is on the phone.Four:He is on vacation:Five:- do you see where Im going with this.Even for some god forbidden reason you do get a hold of him he will NOT give you a straight answer he would be crazy if he did!!!Chiefs my friends are politicians,they are elected officials that try to keep peace with the people,the city council or mayor,the police unions,the publics works dept,the list goes on...By the way I know for a fact that MY chief and MY issueing officer do NOT want any part of this crap.Quote:I wish the State Police would do this crap like they used to.I was told it was nothing but a headache for them.Well WAYNE "you seem to be my only friend here" it is time for me to go.If some stupid reason you see a guy walking down RT.139 with a piece of kite string about 108 inches long and tied to that kite string is a silver metal box beep your horn and wave WAYNE, you my friend have a open invitation to shoot with me anytime you want!!!As for now I have to go back to the hardware store to buy 2 more screws so I can attach my last wheel onto my brand new case I got at dicks sporting goods.Oh and by the way BDDONAVAN dont you know that carrying a heavy backpack is not good for you..My daughter told me that!!!

"OY Vey" you only have one handgun, right?

I fixed that up for you a bit so that it was easier to read.

You my friend are absolutely 100% correct.

It was not my intention to start a war here on this issue at all, I simply wanted a question answered. a question that is mired in confusion to the point that we are ALL going around in circles.

One person says the law is this, other's say its that, and in between you have some other people telling me to just shut the F@##-UP and do what you are told! Well I am sorry people, I for one will certainly not!

I have no idea how to interpret these laws but it seems that a fair majority of you all do. In fact I did what was asked of me and called the LEO agency who told me that I could carry the gun on me. I made the mistake of telling you all this and what was your response?; 'They do not know what there talking about', 'Get it in writing', 'You are full of it', 'I would not want to be you' or 'Get a lawyer on retainer, you are going to need it'.

Wayne my brother you know what I am preaching here (laughter)

One says you can one says you cant. The funny thing I find about all the input that was discussed here about this issue with of 7 pages and 50 responses -not including y own was that a lot of you told me to look it up on the GOAL website.

Well I did. Have you?

If you had in fact read their article on transporting firearms, they spell it right out for you and I quote, “WE DONT HAVE THAT ANSWER”.

I was also told to call my Chief of Police by some of the members, and I wonder honestly as well if any of you would do that with the amount of hassle I have to encounter to meet and speak with him. As he is never in the police station, or he is in a meetings all day,or he is on the phone all day or he is on vacation.

Do you understand and feel my pain? :

I feel that even with the lords blessing that I were to get a hold of him, he may not give me a satisfactory answer and to that end I wonder if he would be legally sane to do so.

Police Chiefs my friends are politicians, they are elected officials that try to keep peace with the people, the city council, the mayor, the police unions, the publics works dept, and the list goes on on on...

For the record, I know for a fact that MY chief and MY issuing officer do NOT want any part of this discussion as it would put them on record in an unclear area. And with a quote I state, “I wish the State Police would do this crap like they used to.”

I was told it was nothing but a headache for them. Well Wayne my brother, my comrade, you seem to be my only friend here but now my time has come and I must further my cause possibly elsewhere on the internet and at rallies across the state.

Hear my words fellow citizens of Massachusetts! Should you spy a gentleman walking down Route139 with a stand of string about that is at the legally mandated 108 inches long and you further witness that strand of string tied to a silver metal box, that holds my rights and liberties, beep your horn and wave to me my brethren for I shall continue this fight!

Wayne, you my friend, my brother, my compatriot have a open invitation to shoot with me anytime you desire, please call prior to showing up as a courtesy is all I ask.

I hate to leave this ranting of substance short for now but I must venture to the hardware store to purchase more screws that I might attach the last wheel of freedom onto the freedom dolly case that I was able to purchase at Dicks Sporting Goods (I was unable to find a coupon however).

Oh and by the way Bddonavan, I urge you to seek and check the advice of chiropractors in regard to carrying heavy loads via backpack. I speak from personal knowledge.

Stay safe, shoot straight and pass the ammunition.

Your brother in arms, 38SpecialD.

<sigh>Just when I thought things were coming to a civil conclusion. In a perfect world this thread should have ended 2 pages ago with:
I just called the LEO who issued me the license and he stated yes you can carry it to and from the range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom