• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC-A/ALP wait in Natick?

On the border between NY and VT for the rest of th
I'm new to this board, and it's been a wealth of information on carrying/ownership in MA.

I'm active duty military, PCSed here from Korea. I put in my application on 01 FEB, and was told by the detective in charge of licensing that she would expedite it as much as possible. I will be maintaining my weapons in a DoD arms room on post, and carrying concealed mostly only during training and when transporting my personal weapon or multiple weapons for work.

Packing.org doesn't seem to be working for me right now, and I'm wondering how long of a wait I can expect in Natick before being able to pick up my weapon. Has anyone here applied in Natick before?

Thanks in advance!

Matt,

I just did a search for "Natick" and don't find any likely suspects on the forum.

Hopefully Jesse Cohen, Darius Arbabi (sp?) or Scrivener (all 3 are our resident gun attorneys here) might have some personal knowledge about the Natick licensing process.

If you are here as a member of the Armed Forces and not a legal resident of Mass, then you should apply for a non-resident permit. The disadvantage is that it has to be renewed more frequently. The advantage is that you are dealing directly with the state. I had a non-resident permit for years (and didn't pay state income tax or auto excise tax either) and it was a lot easier dealing directly with the Firearms Bureau than it was the local PD.

Mark

I will be maintaining my weapons in a DoD arms room on post, and carrying concealed mostly only during training and when transporting my personal weapon or multiple weapons for work.

It sounds like you are living on post, or just maintaining your personally-owned firearms there until you obtain your Mass license.

But the rest has me wondering.

Unless you have some "special" situation you are not allowed to carry your personal firearm on duty or even on post. If you must transport multiple weapons for work, the Army should provide you a military firearm.

Unless I have grossly misunderstood/mis-interpreted what you have said.

I think it's time to start a special club here for folks that have been waiting 100+ days... I'll be eligable for membership in a 2 days (applied nov 15). It is the inspiration for my new avitar:

Hourglass.jpg

I called my state senator (If you're not a resident, not sure who you'd call) and sent a letter to GOAL seeking advice. No progress yet.

If I find the secret door into the inner workings of this insane system, I'll let you know.

Matt

FPrice said:
Unless you have some "special" situation you are not allowed to carry your personal firearm on duty or even on post.

Yes. You're mostly correct, but there are special circumstances. Natick doesn't follow big Army rules, we have different ones. Partially because "post" is smaller than the town center. [roll]

The thing of it is, if you are a non-resident, you have far fewer hassles because normally the Firearms Bureau is relatively easy to deal with, with regard to getting a non-resident LTC.

Mark

Natick - My experience

LenS:

You have a Natick member now!

wilkinshire:

I can give you my experience, I applied (first issuance) on 12/08/05 and I received my LTC in the mail on 01/14/06, and that was through the holiday period which she thought would add a week or so to the process time.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck on getting yours.

Bob

LenS:
dreppucci007:

Thanks for the welcome, I have been lurking here a while, when I went through the pistol class at Riverside last fall, Ken Kennedy suggested we check out this forum. It's really great to have a forum dedicated to gun owners in the region and I am impressed by the wealth of knowledgeable members here. When I saw a question I could maybe give some insight on, I figured that maybe I could make a useful contribution.

Bob

BobM said:
LenS:
dreppucci007:

Thanks for the welcome, I have been lurking here a while, when I went through the pistol class at Riverside last fall, Ken Kennedy suggested we check out this forum. It's really great to have a forum dedicated to gun owners in the region and I am impressed by the wealth of knowledgeable members here. When I saw a question I could maybe give some insight on, I figured that maybe I could make a useful contribution.

Bob

Welcome Bob - and contributions don't necessarily have to be useful. [lol]

Congratulations on getting your Class A ALP from Natick. I hope that this doesn't open the door for you to be liable for state income tax or annual vehicle excise tax. When you go to the town hall and file your auto excise tax exemption because you are military and exempt, they don't turn around and say "Oh, by the way, you do have a resident LTC" I hope that you can get over enjoying the best of both worlds, and you probably will, but that doesn't mean some town clerk won't piss in your Cheerios.

All the best,

Mark

Mark,

Trust me on this! The towns aren't that "organized" . . . one department doesn't know what another does!

Besides, as you should know, who has an LTC/FID is privileged info and the tax collector/assessors DO NOT QUALIFY for that info. Now, I won't debate if the towns/PDs abide by MGLs, as I know better!

Back
Top Bottom