LRB or FA / M1A

The LRB's are touted as the only forged M14 receiver. I don't think that makes it any better, but it costs more.
The Fulton's are basically Armscorp, or used to be.
Both are fine rifles.

What do you intend to do with it? I have a Smith Enterprise that is really nice, but my Norinco is a sweet rifle for 1/5th the cost.

That's a toughie. I don't own either, but have trigger time on both. The Fulton Armory is just a superbly finished rifle - built like a work of art. The LRB is a less finished beauty, but has a superb receiver and stunning function. If you decide on putting optics on your rifle, then my hand tilts toward LRB's new receiver with the rail built in. Truthfully though, as much as I despise China, a Norinco receiver rebuilt by Smith Enterprises would likely be the way I'd go....

Depends on your use for the rifle. If you want a battle rifle for SHTF use - the Boston - in Boston's Gun Bible says go for the forged receiver (means LRB) because you are going to want a rifle that doesn't break down on you.

If you are looking just for something that you can take the range occasionally - then Springfield Armory is probably the way to go.

If you are looking for a target rifle then Fulton Armory is one of the best.

Which is not to say that the SA or Fulton will shatter to pieces if you need it in a pinch.

True - I have never read anything bad about a Fulton Armory rifle.

I have however read stories about people having quality control issues with Springfield Armory stuff here and there.

Boston (Boston Guns Bible) makes a point of saying that for a rifle that you will literally be staking your life on (SHTF situation) - you want what the military had - a forged receiver, as many USGI parts as possible - rifle.

LRB is the only one I know that is currently producing the forged receivers.

Thanks for the input. I hope it never happens but everything i have is for if the SHTF. Going on vaca but when i come back, i'm buying. Right now i'm leaning to the LRB.

Sens: I own an LRB. It is a well made receiver. I have to say it is everything I expected and more. I got the standard model, non lugged and no top scope mount. They also make a model with a dovetail for a rail in it. Prepare for a long wait time! However it is well worth it. I had them build the entire rifle for me. They use mostly USGI parts on their builds, unlike new springfields. The main complaint about SAI rifles is they use cheaper, non-usgi spec parts. Particularly on parts like the bolt, op rod, they were originally designed with certain hardness specs, mag particle testing etc. You can also do any sort of customization you want through them; up to and including supplying all your own parts. Look at http://m14tfl.com if you want to get more M14 info than you'll ever need.

Sens: I own an LRB. It is a well made receiver. I have to say it is everything I expected and more. I got the standard model, non lugged and no top scope mount. They also make a model with a dovetail for a rail in it. Prepare for a long wait time! However it is well worth it. I had them build the entire rifle for me. They use mostly USGI parts on their builds, unlike new springfields. The main complaint about SAI rifles is they use cheaper, non-usgi spec parts. Particularly on parts like the bolt, op rod, they were originally designed with certain hardness specs, mag particle testing etc. You can also do any sort of customization you want through them; up to and including supplying all your own parts. Look at http://m14tfl.com if you want to get more M14 info than you'll ever need.

I wish SA used chrome linned barrels.

IME, the m14tfl board, is actually very pro-SA, although obviously tons of people there have top shelf rifles.

It is my understanding that they no longer do. There may be an occasional usgi part put in brand new rifles. I'm fairly sure they use commerically made op rods.

Tom - I think it depends on the rifle and supply. I didn't check the serial for manufacture date, but I looked last week at a just taken out of the box, brand new M1A Loaded. Every part I could see except the barrel and the stock was USGI. From what I understand, SAI has a good supply of USGI parts and use them as builds warrant or parts supplies are in stock. Frankly, I was surprised how much of my SOCOM-16 was USGI. There is a finite original parts stream obviously, bit other than earlier issues with receiver geometry and extractors, I haven't heard much negative in the way of new parts production...

I picked up the LRB M1A yesterday. A truly awesome looking gun. Field stripped it today cleaned, inspected and reassembled. Can't wait to shoot it Monday.
Thanks for the posts.

I picked up the LRB M1A yesterday. A truly awesome looking gun. Field stripped it today cleaned, inspected and reassembled. Can't wait to shoot it Monday.
Thanks for the posts.

Where did you get it? Did you order directly from LRB? I am wondering what the wait was like if you ordered............

Bought it on Gunbroker. Paid $300 over dealer cost or about $200 over LRB retail. No waiting, for me the premium was worth it.

Bought it on Gunbroker. Paid $300 over dealer cost or about $200 over LRB retail. No waiting, for me the premium was worth it.

Not bad. And the wait IS substantial. I feel bad for anyone who ordered after the election, they probably still haven't recieved theirs.

Back
Top Bottom