Lost Wallet and LTC, Quincy Police Department dragging their feet on putting in for a replacement

Blkwolf123

NES Member
Here's my tale:

About 4 months ago I lost my wallet and immediately reported my lost LTC to the Quincy Police Department. The firearms department was very nice and said no problem we'll order a replacement.

A month later they called and said the replacement came in and offered to mail it to me because of COVID precautions. However, weeks later I still have not received it and was asked to wait longer just in case the USPS messed up. Two more weeks later, after calling the USPS on the forlorn hope that they had it stashed somewhere, I'm assuming the post office lost my mail. I connected with her around maybe just getting a new replacement, but she said she "lost" my file, and would give me a call back when she found it. Needless to say after a week of waiting, I got no call back. Attempting to get an update, turns out the firearms person was on vacation.

One more month, I finally managed to connect with the firearms person again, and she had no memory that we had a back and forth around my replacement, as she said she has no record in her file. I told her at this point it's been a few months and I still haven't gotten a replacement, and she said, she has to connect with her captain around ordering me another one "as I had order a replacement once before back in 2019", which I had, having lost my wallet back then.

For the past month I've been calling her every three to four days just to check in, always polite, and every time she's either said that she hasn't spoken with the captain or the captain hasn't said anything to her. Calling her today, she brushed me off the fastest so far, saying she'll try to speak with him (or her) later today, but just be patient.

At this point, I'm very frustrated. I've been extremely polite and understanding, have never violated any law. I received my license at the age of 19 with the standard QPD "Target shooting and hunting only" restriction, and never sought to get an unrestricted license (which they allow for after age 21) because I never felt I needed it, so I don't understand why the process has been made so difficult for me to get a REPLACEMENT copy of my LTC.

What are the options available to me at this point? I don't feel comfortable going to the range without a LTC card just in case I get pulled over on the way to the range, so its been a while since I've been.

Update 10/20 - I've emailed the Captain that I'm pretty sure is in charge, also called the office of the Chief and had them drop my contact info with the captain in charge of firearms. Called the state firearms section, they confirmed that a replacement was made in June, but said they couldn't do anything without the PD putting in a request first.

Last edited:
It literally takes 1 minute for the licensing officer to order a replacement card. My girl had her wallet stolen and she had a new card from Monson in about a week, not even. They are screwing you around. I would send a certified letter to the licensing officer or email the licensing officer and CC the chief, and tell them you would like to pick the card up this time, don't let them mail it.

She’s either a complete idiot or she’s totally messing with you. Probably both. Too late now but as someone said you should’ve kept written records (emails) of all your contact with the LO. Police admins and court system love to say if it’s not on paper it never happened.

Maybe an email to her detailing all these calls conversations and dates, cc the chief and the Lt of the Records Dept, asking why you’ve had to wait months on end for something so trivial, if no response contact @Comm2A with all of the above.

If she needs to speak to the captain, no problem. Call the police station and start asking for the captain, start leaving messages on his machine, ETC. S*** flows downstream. As soon as you make it his problem he's going to make it her problem to get you gone.. That will grease the wheels.

And a lesson learned here, try to keep better track of your wallet man. Losing it twice and just a couple of years..... Not trying to preach. But I mean Jesus credit cards driver's licenses LTC. There's a lot of s*** in there you don't want in some unscrupulous person's hands. Maybe start putting your LTC with your carry piece and not keeping it in your wallet.

I lost mine about 3 months ago. Emailed both the lt. in charge of firearm licensing and captain, no response from either. Renewal is up on my birthday in Jan.

But I mean Jesus credit cards driver's licenses LTC. There's a lot of s*** in there you don't want in some unscrupulous person's hands. Maybe start putting your LTC with your carry piece and not keeping it in your wallet.

I have gone through and minimized what I carry in a wallet. I took pictures/scanned everything and keep copies of the stuff on my phone.

I no longer carry any insurance cards. I moved to an eWallet on my phone and that is where I keep all my membership cards for stores etc. I migrated all my CC to the phone and use the phone to pay. I have multiple LTC but I only actively carry MA, NH and ME because I spend enough time in those states. The remainder of them I add to my wallet when traveling else they are in the safe.

I am down where all I have in my wallet is my DL, NH Boat License, 3 LTC, 1 Debit card and 1 CC for those places that you can't pay by phone. In fact I also minimized my wallet. I use a Ridge Wallet and love it.

I am 56 and not once have I lost my wallet/ keys/library cards. I could see if it was stolen but how do you lose something that has a lot of important items. You guys who have lost wallets, are you the FBI guys that leave their guns on the roof of the car or on the back of the toilet? [rofl]
Cut the guy some slack. Not everyone is perfect. Stuff happens, life gets busy, sometimes people get sidetracked. Maybe make a positive suggestion that helps you remember where you keep your things.

Cut the guy some slack. Not everyone is perfect. Stuff happens, life gets busy, sometimes people get sidetracked. Maybe make a positive suggestion that helps you remember where you keep your things.
How about one of those alternaTeen chains that attach your wallet to one of your belt loops? I guess they were popular with skateboarders.

And I did make a suggestion in my original post. Hope he should start keeping his LTC with his carry piece, not his wallet.

My buddy has a chain wallet because he loses it all the time without one. OP might have to bite the bullet and get a chain!
Maybe the reason he loses it is because he is used to the chain taking care of it so he stops paying attention when there is no chain.

Just a guess.

How about one of those alternaTeen chains that attach your wallet to one of your belt loops? I guess they were popular with skateboarders.

And I did make a suggestion in my original post. Hope he should start keeping his LTC with his carry piece, not his wallet.
Didn't those kids steal the idea from bikers?

Go down to the station and ask to speak to the chief. Much harder to blow you off when you’re standing there in person.

If she needs to speak to the captain, no problem. Call the police station and start asking for the captain, start leaving messages on his machine, ETC. S*** flows downstream. As soon as you make it his problem he's going to make it her problem to get you gone.. That will grease the wheels.

And a lesson learned here, try to keep better track of your wallet man. Losing it twice and just a couple of years..... Not trying to preach. But I mean Jesus credit cards driver's licenses LTC. There's a lot of s*** in there you don't want in some unscrupulous person's hands. Maybe start putting your LTC with your carry piece and not keeping it in your wallet.

Last year I put my wallet on my bumper while disconnecting my trailer, then I drove in to town. It made it about 2 miles before falling off. That is according to the person who found it in the road. Googled my address. Then drove it to my house. There are still a few good ones out there.

Back
Top Bottom