• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lost key to gun lock

Two hammers
Have someone hold the pistol and sharply strike the lock on the long sides at the same time, pull the hammers away from one another quickly and the lock will drop open.
It jars the pins in the lock and gravity does the rest.

Works every time with cheap key padlocks.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_wNgp_L1Uw

Well this just ended the decades of reliable security for Master locks.

Composite wafer wheel in a 5” angle grinder, that every handy man should own anyway. Bring it by here my G/F will cut it off for you .
That lock would give up if simply crushed in the vice as well. Many ways to skin the cat, anyway.

Remember the basics:
  1. Picking
  2. Shimming
  3. Drilling
  4. Rapping
  5. Impressioning
Start with rapping. Dangle the lock with the lock body hanging like a pendulum. Give the lock a very sharp quick hit on the side with a metallic hammer. If that fails, it should succumb to picking or shimming (google for details). Drilling is overkill and impressioning is a pain in the ass, requiring patience, time, skill and at least one key blank.

You do not need both sides at one time, though if it does not work after a few attempts try the other side.

guessing the OP already got it open. looks like a ruger padlock. my godson was coming down to shoot about 3ish years ago, and i was getting a few
guns ready to shoot. my LCR 38 padlock wouldn't open with the key. basic cut off wheel went thru it in 10 seconds

Dremel with cut off wheel.
If i inherited a gun like that I'd get a set of picks and try picking first.

BTW this is a common mid size + gun shop pastime.... used guns get traded in with locks still on them and no key. 🤣 its not a huge number but it's not insignificant either. Dremel or force is usually the tool of last resort. Most locks suck so bad it's not that hard to pick/shim them. Combo locks often even have tons of their own vulnerabilities.

If i inherited a gun like that I'd get a set of picks and try picking first.

BTW this is a common mid size + gun shop pastime.... used guns get traded in with locks still on them and no key. 🤣 its not a huge number but it's not insignificant either. Dremel or force is usually the tool of last resort. Most locks suck so bad it's not that hard to pick/shim them. Combo locks often even have tons of their own vulnerabilities.
Not in this house ... Dremel is the first tool. Gets it done in a second. Although the last time I had to cut a lock was for a case.

Dremel is last when it comes to working on the gun.

But picking it is way cooler.

Ain't nobody got time for dat.

I just did this very same thing when I transported mine to shoot in NH last week. ended up using a angle grinder to hack it in half =(
The whole locking firearms thing is a pain in the ass. Anything to keep you from having a weapon ready in case of a problem.

I just did this very same thing when I transported mine to shoot in NH last week. ended up using a angle grinder to hack it in half =(
The whole locking firearms thing is a pain in the ass. Anything to keep you from having a weapon ready in case of a problem.

Not sure why you would ever use a trigger lock under transport, trigger locks are legally meaningless in MA at least, for the purposes of transportation. (and completely irrelevant everywhere else) Unless you locked a case and forgot the key to the padlock.....

Not in this house ... Dremel is the first tool. Gets it done in a second. Although the last time I had to cut a lock was for a case.

sure the slob methods work most of the time, but theres sometimes where you dont really want to go there, like would you really take a dremel to a trigger lock on a colt python? lol I'd rather attempt picking it first if I had the tools. Plus whats a pick attempt, a minute? some ShitLocks will open in 15 secs with a wave rake.

Obviously in this case you just whip out the angle grinder and go full retard, because even if you f*** it up the whole thing is no great loss. But there are other situations where a more
elegant solution is probably a better first path.

sure the slob methods work most of the time, but theres sometimes where you dont really want to go there, like would you really take a dremel to a trigger lock on a colt python? lol I'd rather attempt picking it first if I had the tools. Plus whats a pick attempt, a minute? some ShitLocks will open in 15 secs with a wave rake.

Obviously in this case you just whip out the angle grinder and go full retard, because even if you f*** it up the whole thing is no great loss. But there are other situations where a more
elegant solution is probably a better first path.
That lock has more than enough space to not touch the gun.

But I can see how some people would somehow cut the gun.

Back
Top Bottom